So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

There was some weird last-minute editing during that point in the movie, if it explains why nothing makes sense around the time David sedates her. I think Ridley was intentionally making things disorienting for viewers, because Shaw goes from watching her boyfriend being burned alive to suddenly dealing with crew members as enemies. 

Why does she end up wandering around the ship unchallenged after attacking people? Why isn't she restrained after approaching the most important person on the ship? And then, to intercut this all with the mutant Fifield attack? That all originally took place as Shaw and Weyland departed for the pyramid (with Shaw driving the tank that runs over the mutant Fifield - this was all changed for some reason).

Ridley really made a meal of the film in post.

That's why I think its odd he just dumped the deleted scenes onto disc as a bonus feature instead of cutting a proper cut that showed things the way he originally wanted.

Yep, doubly weird as almost every other Ridley Scott film with ample deleted scenes has had that infamous 'Director's Cut', but he's stated time and time again that he doesn't want to change Prometheus' theatrical cut. 

Truly bizarre, considering how much the deleted scenes would improve the film's pacing and otherwise confusing character moments. It's like he was just haphazardly cutting the film to pieces to achieve that golden ~120 minute runtime, perhaps to appease Fox for allowing the R rating. He always says he's a servant to the studios, so...

You know Fox would be happy to pay for a DC of Prometheus since they continue to happily sell both cuts of the four Alien movies, so it is indeed doubly odd.  Oh well.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

You know Fox would be happy to pay for a DC of Prometheus since they continue to happily sell both cuts of the four Alien movies, so it is indeed doubly odd.  Oh well.

Well we know how much studios love the double dip. They regularly keep material in reserve for future releases. If ever Fox were willing to fund an extended cut of Prometheus, it would be as a tie-in to the release of Covenant next year.

To their credit, they've been reasonably generous to the series over the years; the Alien 3 workprint assembly wouldn't have come cheap (kudos for getting the original cast back to ADR their lines), and they gave the first two films expensive 4K remasters for the Blu-rays.

I think the most frustrating thing about Prometheus is that with an extra writing pass, it could've been a masterful film; the sci-fi terror film the trailers promoted. All the mystical, religioso, human origin stuff kind of derailed an otherwise straightforward horror film, but only because it was handled so poorly by Lindelof and Scott. The ideas behind the film are quite interesting, but lazily executed.

There's nothing wrong with the science fiction stuff that leaves the Engineer race, and their motivations, quite mysterious. The unexplained biological disaster that occurred in the holograms, the chamber of ampules with giant Engineer head, the Giger-esque murals, the glowing green stone (which was originally a sacrificial chalice, see below). None of these are plot holes (as often cited), rather intriguing mysteries like the Space Jockey in the original Alien. I just feel the film derails itself with some clumsy plotting after the 45 minute mark.

aK3b1.jpg

We watched this last week because it's still free on on demand and the wifey hadn't seen it. The visuals and effects are amazing. It's nice to look at and some of the plot is compelling, adventurous, and fun. But the story is very sketchy, for all the reasons mentioned. It's very preposterous to realize these ancient Engineers are the progenitors of life on Earth and are perfect genetic matches of Shaw's sample DNA, when even brothers and sisters on Earth aren't. That's why we take blood samples for crimes and do paternity tests, but whatever. 

It was a failed opportunity to make a fantastic prequel to Alien. Instead, we get a deeply flawed and preachy parallel story about a different genetic laboratory and weapons depot site created by the same race that put facehugger eggs on LV-426. Still doesn't explain why the synthetic lifeform knew to put black goo into Shaw's boyfriend or how word of the future Alien planet gets back to Weyland Yutani. 

• 2 months later...

Well, it seems there's been a massive leak. I feel bad for spoiling myself but here's some leaked photos of the ghoulish creatures on the set (plus other set photos of familiar locations). Nothing too unexpected here, just another step closer to the Xenomorph we know and love:

http://www.soisitanygood.com/exclusive-new-alien-covenant-images-give-us-glimpse-new-xenomorphs/

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

A massive leak?!  Guess I'm not looking at this thread anymore if I want to go into the movie relatively fresh :(

It's just all the variants of Xenomorphs, nothing too major! Scott will probably replace them all in post anyway! ;)

It seems whatever the hell David has been experimenting upon in his isolation, it's even more deranged than in Prometheus.

I'm surprised no one has picked this up.

In 1979, Ridley Scott released a film called Alien.

In 1981, Steven Spielberg releases Raiders of the Lost Ark, featuring the Ark of the Covenant.

In 2017, Ridley Scott releases a  film called Alien: Covenant.

Coincidence? I think not.  

28 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It seems whatever the hell David has been experimenting upon in his isolation, it's even more deranged than in Prometheus.

A reference to Alien: Isolation

9 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

I'm surprised no one has picked this up.

In 1979, Ridley Scott released a film called Alien.

In 1981, Steven Spielberg releases Raiders of the Lost Ark, featuring the Ark of the Covenant.

In 2017, Ridley Scott releases a  film called Alien: Covenant.

Coincidence? I think not.  

Indy vs. the Xenomorph, at long last!

It's well known in sophisticated film circles that Scott has always been jealous of Spielberg and is trying to capture some of the Spielberg magic. Ridley's Exodus movie in 2014 earned almost 100 million less than the other 2014 biblical epic, Noah. What was Noah about? An Ark.

Connect the dots people.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

What has clearly returned is Scott's sex organ metaphors. Everything looks ... like a vagina?

Giger's original designs had some strong pseudosexual undertones, but when you see these new designs and can actually see a clit....

Too blatant! Too try hard!

Not looking good.

7 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

These new aliens look cute!

Either they don't get it or it's because they wanna sell lots of cuddly toys to little children.

silver_cross_balmoral_carriage_pram_baby

More plot details leaked about the film's opening scene, including a brilliant choice of opening music. Scott loves infusing classical music into these films.

Spoiler

We have learnt that Guy Pearce will be reprising his role as a slightly younger Peter Weyland during the film’s opening scenes. The current edit of Alien: Covenant begins with David 8 being brought online in a large white room with a grand view overlooking an ocean.

A younger, but still somewhat aged, Weyland asks David various questions to test him. We eventually move to David performing Richard Wagner’s Entrance of the Gods into Valhalla, explaining the meaning of the piece as he plays.

David explains that it is about God’s abandoning their creations due their displeasure with their creation’s greed and vanity, only to realise that the Gods themselves sharing the same flaws. This leads to David and Peter discussing Gods and creations and human mortality which strikes a chord with Weyland (a tip of the hat to his motivation in Prometheus).

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2016/10/29/avpgalaxy-exclusive-guy-pearce-returns-alien-covenant/

I'm overjoyed that Fassbender is shaping up as the clear lead in this film. His performance of David in Prometheus was an instant classic IMHO.

What is a good performance if it's not backed up by a good script, beautiful dialogue, and so on. No, in my view, Fassbender's character in Prometheus can't match HAL 9000, Ash, Bishop or Batty.

Alex