So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

Sounded a bit like Trump to me ....

:mellow:

That was literally the first thing I thought of as well when he said that! :lol:

Only Scott's telling the truth, because they turned over a tidy profit (without breaking the bank or anything).

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2017 at 3:33 PM, Quintus said:

Living through things is for the gullible and the easily led. I bet Blade Runner saw you coming! 

Yeah, well, I needed something to do while I was waiting 34 1/2 years to post this.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Does it...do anything?

I've been so out of the loop internet-wise that I didn't even know this trailer dropped until a few days ago.  Like the Prometheus trailer, the trailer itself was pretty effective, but we all know how that worked out the last time.  I'm quietly reserved about it until I see more reaction once it's released.

• 2 weeks later...

James Cameron doesn’t think the world needs any more Alien movies

“Let me just add to that—and don’t cut this part off, please—I will stand in line for any Ridley Scott movie, even a not-so-great one,” he remarked. “Because he is such an artist, he’s such a filmmaker. I always learn from him. And what he does with going back to his own franchise would be fascinating.”

Well, Cameron will be tied up in the AVATAR movies for what, like the next 50 years or so? So I'm not sure this new TERMINATOR thing is ever happening.

10 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, Cameron will be tied up in the AVATAR movies for what, like the next 50 years or so? So I'm not sure this new TERMINATOR thing is ever happening.

He's not directing it, of course:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27049-james-cameron-to-reboot-terminator-franchise-deadpool-helmer-tim-miller-will-direct/

Still, it's one out of several projects he has lined up in the foreseeable future (either producing or directing) -- supposedly inbetween the AVATAR work. Curious to see how he'll work that out, logistically.

• 4 weeks later...

Can't watch the video right now, what is it?  Did they literally put the first 4 minutes of the film online?  Or is it a scene from later in the film?

53 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Looks like they tried to replicate the feeling of comradery in the first film, but it feels artificial. 

Yep, copying and recycling. It's a (poor) attempt to recreate the spontaneous blue collar atmosphere of the dinner scene in Alien. But I can't stand the green lighting and the piano music which is only there not to alienate modern audiences. I already ordered a new set of foam bricks.

Yes, Thor will think it's brilliant but to the rest of us it's copying and recycling. 

Maybe it's just some viral thingy.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Can't watch the video right now, what is it?  Did they literally put the first 4 minutes of the film online?  Or is it a scene from later in the film?

I'm thinking it's like those Weyland ads that came before Prometheus was released, that were better than the movie itself -and I know I loose my credibility when I say this, but I still dig Prometheus. It's not good by any means, but I... I.... I like it.

From what I understand, this is not from the film itself, but rather -- as Muadib says -- a short film à la those Weyland shorts before the PROMETHEUS premiere. It's directed by Luke Scott, Ridley's son.

To be honest, I was not thrilled with this. The tone is weird -- from the 'comedy' aspect and self-aware referencing in the first part, to the "Chris Columbus"-like moral speech at the end. Everything is very off here. The only comforting thing was the visual look.

But I hope and believe Scott's film will be more serious and consistent in tone.

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

And I thought I liked you!

You'd be better off watching the Lupin The Third movies I told you to watch (and that you obviously didn't watch!) instead of wasting your time rewatching Promtheus whenever it's on TV!

You always say the same :lol:

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Wow! That was unpredictable! At least you did like the green lighting. 

I did, but I primarily love the organic combination of the old and clunky and the new, more streamlined.

I appreciate that he didn't want to rehash the whole Alien aesthetic for Prometheus. It made sense to go a different direction visually, even if it contradicted canon (compare the Derelict interiors in Alien to that in Prometheus). It remains one of the best looking sci-fi films of the last decade.

I'm bummed he shot this digitally though. Half the aesthetic of his older films was the grain, contrast and texture of celluloid. I can't stand the pristine quality of digital, especially when you're creating the impression of a story set millions of light years away from Earth.

Last+Supper+Alien+Covenant-ed.jpg

Anyone else has problems with the actors? I loved how in Alien it were mainly fresh faces but I immediately bought into them. I simply don't feel it here. Am I being too difficult?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I appreciate that he didn't want to rehash the whole Alien aesthetic for Prometheus. It made sense to go a different direction visually, even if it contradicted canon (compare the Derelict interiors in Alien to that in Prometheus).

Why does it contradict the canon? The ship in Prometheus is brand new and part of a well funded scientific mission. The Nostromo is essentially an old freighter hauling cargo across the universe.

Just now, Alexcremers said:

Last+Supper+Alien+Covenant-ed.jpg

Anyone else has problems with the actors? I loved how in Alien it were mainly fresh faces but I immediately bought into them. I simply don't feel it here. Am I being too difficult?

The cast in Alien, like the ship they operated looked lived in. All of they had very charismatic, faces but none of them were typical Hollywood star types. You could meet people like Ash or Dallas working in a local factory.

OK finally watched the little prologue video thingy.  Well, it was kinda dumb.  I hated the double-fake-out they did, IE first the captain starts coughing and you go "oh, OK, this is misdirection, another guy will actually birth the chestburster".  Then the next guy starts choking and again its "oh, so its not her either, its gonna be some one else" then the thing ends.

I didn't like the music either; Neither the rock song they listen to at the beginning (why are they spending their hard earned cash gambling on arm wrestling of all things anyway?), nor the score cue that comes in at the end under the speech (hopefully that style is not the direction the main film's score will go in)

I get the point of making this, it provides a way for the actors to develop their characters and interact, etc.  But I don't get the point of releasing it now, as it doesnt really create any hype about the film nor tell you anything about its plot or tone, and if a scene like this isn't in the film the characters might be less developed for those who didn't see this, and if a scene like it is in the film it will seem redundant to those who watched this

Essentially I wish Ridley Scott was focusing his energy on different, more unusual projects, and Blomkamp was able to make his Alien film with Sigourney Weaver and Biehn instead.  Oh well.

18 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Scott used to be good at picking out the right actors! These actors feel like they belong in a SyFy TV show!

Why don't Thor and Ccrumbs see that?

I haven't really commented on the actors. For me, the mood, symbolism and audiovisual expression are far more important. I actually agree that the comic, selfaware tone of the 'prologue' was a bit off. But for now, I'm giving Scott the benefit of the doubt, and think and hope he'll be able to use the actors in a more serious, consistent way in the film itself. Time will tell. Most of the actors (except maybe McBride) are great, serious proponents of their craft.

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Essentially I wish Ridley Scott was focusing his energy on different, more unusual projects, and Blomkamp was able to make his Alien film with Sigourney Weaver and Biehn instead.  Oh well.

I disagree. Scott is almost 80 years old, and I want him to churn out the most science fiction (and perhaps historical) films that he can before it's too late. It's his strongest forte. But sure -- if he's able to create more unusual fare inbetween this, I'm game for that too. Not too worried, though. He's had -- and still had -- an amazingly busy schedule for someone his age.

A part of me (the one demanding franchise continuity) is relieved that the Blomkamp project is now on indefinite hold.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

For me, the mood, symbolism and audiovisual expression are far more important.

IMO, uninteresting faces and unconvincing characters can hurt mood and visual expression. They are a part of it.

11 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

IMO, uninteresting faces and unconvincing characters can hurt mood and visual expression. They are a part of it.

Not if the director's vision is strong enough. It depends on what he or she wants to prioritize. But we can't draw any conclusions based on this short film. We'll have to wait untill May.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Not if the director's vision is strong enough. 

Can you give me an example where unconvincing characters didn't hurt vision and mood? I can't think of any. And don't say Prometheus because personally I would use that to make my case.

18 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Can you give me an example where unconvincing character didn't hurt vision and mood?

I don't know about 'unconvincing', but plenty of films where characters are secondary to some audiovisual idea, especially more arthouse-oriented fare (any given Godard film, for example). I also think some Hollywood directors emphasize more the experience aspect than story/character aspect. AVATAR, for example, which has stereotypical characters and plot, but where the whole idea is to be a sort of "'theme park" experience, envelopping the spectator in the world they're creating.

The term 'unconvincing' requires the premise that characters are central to the project, so I felt that was a bit beside the point of arguing the importance of characters in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

The term 'unconvincing' requires the premise that characters are central to the project, so I felt that was a bit beside the point of arguing the importance of characters in the first place.

Well, I could argue that in Alien the design is central but it helped that the characters were fully convincing. Characters are an important part of an experience. For instance,  if the character feels 'out of place' or 'wrong for the part', then the experience or the cinematic immersion is simply not going to be as good as it could be. Everything is aesthetics, Thor, even characters. Their appearance, a pose, a facial expression, a gesture, ... It's all part of a film's mise-en-scène. If something about them is off then the tableau is damaged.

Does anyone really watch the ALIEN films for the characters or character arcs? Except MAYBE Ripley -- who at least has an arc over the course of the 4 movies (and perhaps one or two in Fincher's third) -- most of it is pretty cardboard/stereotype. I'm not diminishing the importance of characters in films that strive for nuance in that area, but in the case of the ALIEN films, other factors are FAR more important, and -- I would argue -- make them the classics they are, at least the first two.