So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Agreed, but it's canon whether one likes it or not. I've come to appreciate it much more over the years; as a Jeunet film more than an ALIEN film, perhaps.

What is "cannon" in this context?  I'm not sure Alien has a cannon the saw SW or ST does. AvP is certainly contradicted by Prometheus, and Blomkamp has already said he'll ignore anything after the second movie in his Alien sequel (if it ever happens). Certainly nothing that came after Aliens is cannon in my book.

And I'm not sure what difference it makes. Crystal Skull and the PT are both cannon, but that doesn't mean they're authentic in terms of their source material...and it certainly doesn't mean they don't suck.  I don't see how anything that happened in Resurrection makes it OK that the Alien is now busting through spaceship windshields in Hulk like fashion. Just because other directors (including Scott) screwed up with Scott and Cameron did so brilliantly doesn't mean it should be repeated.

23 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Paper money? So uncivilised. We use plastic notes.

So does the UK, now! They're edible, too. :D

I don't care what all you naysayers out there, in JWfanland think, about COVENANT, I'm going to go along to my local IMAX, with a large Kia Ora, and the biggest barrel of popcorn that I can find, and I am going to lap this up! :)

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

The best bit is and will always be:

OLJebJi.gif

Well, Lee, I could get you off. Not the ship, but...

Noooooooooo 

Anyway, what's this other sci-fi film coming out soonish that YouTube just tried to get me to watch the trailer for, it was called LIFE and it stars Ryan Reynolds and Jake Gyllenhaal... something about the ISS and Mars. Maybe it might turn out to be the horror in space Covenant could have been. 

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

What is "cannon" in this context?  I'm not sure Alien has a cannon the saw SW or ST does. AvP is certainly contradicted by Prometheus, and Blomkamp has already said he'll ignore anything after the second movie in his Alien sequel (if it ever happens). Certainly nothing that came after Aliens is cannon in my book.

I believe the cannon is consistent in both.

NpCbyHf.jpg

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Great visual and shame on Prometheus for cheapening this enigmatic creature by telling us exactly about its origins!

For as much love as I have for PROMETHEUS, I actually agree with this particular argument. Not to mention that the Engineer suits are much smaller than the original Derelict.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

Lol! 

What trash. But stylish as hell! 

If you're somewhat familiar with Jeunet's other work, there is much to enjoy in RESSURECTION. "Burlesque" gone wild! I also love how he's so perfectly content with the original theatrical release, he sees no need for a director's cut. Although the film has risen somewhat in stature since its release (although not as much as ALIEN 3), it's still very underrated for what it is.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

If you're somewhat familiar with Jeunet's other work, there is much to enjoy in RESSURECTION. "Burlesque" gone wild! I also love how he's so perfectly content with the original theatrical release, he sees no need for a director's cut. Although the film has risen somewhat in stature since its release (although not as much as ALIEN 3), it's still very underrated for what it is.

The one time I saw Resurrection I enjoyed it for what it was. But for me it isn't canon. Everything after Aliens isn't canon, including the crossovers with Predator. 

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

The one time I saw Resurrection I enjoyed it for what it was. But for me it isn't canon. Everything after Aliens isn't canon, including the crossovers with Predator. 

I think all the movies up to and including COVENANT are canon (which is why Blomkamp's project caused such uproar in fan circles when it was announced). As are the comic books. The AvP movies less so, but they're pretty cool too -- especially the first.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Great visual and shame on Prometheus for cheapening this enigmatic creature by telling us exactly about its origins!

Technically we don't know what was in that original suit. If Shaw and David were able to pilot the Juggernaut off LV-225, it wasn't necessarily an Engineer fossilized in that chair. Nor do we know why it was carrying Xenomorph eggs as cargo when the other ships carried vases of black goo. What mission was that ship on when it crashed? Where was it taking those eggs and why? The conventional theory, extrapolating from Prometheus, is that the Xenomorph didn't yet exist at that stage in the timeline.

I think there's plenty of mystery left about the derelict, even knowing the Space Jockey 'creature' was an exosuit. I don't like the retcon that the derelict wasn't there for a few millennia, if that's how it eventuates.

I'm glad Covenant is doubling down on the Engineer backstory and the new creature forms, while also giving us the original beasts; seems like a good compromise. I'm curious about whether the new planet is/was indeed Paradise, or if David's led Shaw astray and taken her elsewhere. Shaw and David's total absence from the marketing is curious.

1 minute ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Well what was that on the mural?

IMHO it closer resembles the Deacon at the end of Prometheus than the Xenomorph.

585d595ea3798ce2d1ad31af10e37a6c.jpg

df3edd69aa6d4690ddec230d688aeb18.jpg

Which makes sense, because it's the form of a creature born from an Engineer rather than a human.

It ties into the self-sacrifice lore of the Engineers, that they would worship and revere such a creature.

Fortunately, I don't have the problems you guys have. To me, all films are completely different entities, entirely separated from each other. They exist in a vacuum because they are made at different times, by different people, who have their own individual take on it.  If I watch Alien, and I see that scene with the "cannon", I don't think 'Engineer' or 'Prometheus'.

Alex

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Shaw and David's total absence from the marketing is curious.

What?

EDIT: OK, checked IMDB. Know what you mean now. Wasn't aware of that. Though it's still possible he appeared in the trailers, but we don't know it was him. ;)

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Fortunately, I don't have the problems you guys have. To me, all films are completely different entities, entirely separated from each other. They exist in a vacuum because they are made at different times, by different people, who have their own individual take on it.  If I watch Alien, and I see that scene with the "cannon", I don't think 'Engineer' or 'Prometheus'.

I actually do both. I enjoy the films with the unique trademarks of each director, yet also as one, consistent storyline.

Do you love Alien 3, Thor? I actually don't mind it in itself, it has merit as a standalone thriller. I separate it from the first two films though, simply because I didn't like the direction they took with Ripley's character at all, but I can still enjoy the film for what it is. 

I absolutely love ALIEN 3, although I do remember being incredibly bummed by it when I saw it in theatres in the early 90s, due to its ending and downbeat atmosphere. But it has grown tremendously over the years, to the extent that I now consider it Fincher's best film (although the director  himself hardly acknowledges it). Especially the extended cut. It's probably the film with the most nuanced characters (pr. that previous discussion), and great staging of the theme of redemption.

Zodiac is his best, I think. 

But yeah, Alien3, not bad at all, even considering the badly dated effects. 

The documentary is more interesting than the film, but it's a fascinating case study in studio interference. I kind of love all 3 original films for very different reasons. Alien is the only true masterpiece but I'd probably rather watch Aliens. Alien 3's Assembly Cut is a excellent but I'm still irritated by their omission of Ripley's Decision from the climax (an extended shot where she weights up Bishop's offer).

It provides a completely different interpretation of her character's thought-process during the climax, and considering Fincher specifically referred to that shot as one of the most important omissions from the final film, it's sad they never reinstated it.

37 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The documentary is more interesting than the film, but it's a fascinating case study in studio interference. I kind of love all 3 original films for very different reasons. Alien is the only true masterpiece but I'd probably rather watch Aliens. Alien 3's Assembly Cut is a excellent but I'm still irritated by their omission of Ripley's Decision from the climax (an extended shot where she weights up Bishop's offer).

It provides a completely different interpretation of her character's thought-process during the climax, and considering Fincher specifically referred to that shot as one of the most important omissions from the final film, it's sad they never reinstated it.

And those newly visible VHS cameras were hilarious!

52 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

And those newly visible VHS cameras were hilarious!

Yeah the technology aspects of that whole series are pretty dated, no doubt about it.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Alien 3... Fincher's best film? :mellow:

1. ...

2. ...

3. ...

4. ...

5. ...

6. ...

7. ...

8. ...

9. The Game

10. Alien3

On 3/3/2017 at 9:06 AM, Quintus said:

Anyway, what's this other sci-fi film coming out soonish that YouTube just tried to get me to watch the trailer for, it was called LIFE and it stars Ryan Reynolds and Jake Gyllenhaal... something about the ISS and Mars. Maybe it might turn out to be the horror in space Covenant could have been. 

It looks like a cheap Alien knock-off. But then again, so does Covenant...

Actually the LIFE trailer looks and feels almost completely like Sunshine. An A-list cast sent to space to save mankind and shit happens. 

My ranking of Fincher's films

1 Fight Club

2 Seven

3 Girl With The Dragon Tatoo

4 Zodiac

5 The Game 

6 Panic Room

7 Social Network

8 Benjamin Button

9 Gone Girl

I don't really think it's fair to rank Alien 3 against the others because had no creative control over the script, sets, cast... He got the performances out of the actors others hired on the sets already built before he was hired and a script that couldn't really be changed, and I'm sure selected the cinematographer that gave it its look, but then didn't even have full creative control over post production either. 

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A girlfriend dragged you to it, right? I bet she loved it!

It's really watchable, like Malice, or similar femme fatale thriller trash. I was surprised to see Fincher's name pop up on the credits actually... talk about a departure.

Gone Girl is a completely ridiculous movie, and totally entertaining.

Drax would 100% love it.