So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Well Prometheus was more polarizing than inherently bad.

The reasons it was polarizing was directly as a result of the inherently bad elements.  Some were willing to overlook, some were not.

OK, finally saw the new trailer

Well, I liked the cinematography and set/production design, but that's about it - literally nothing else about the trailer made me interested in seeing the film at all. Looks like more of the same ole same ole story wise, nothing from this or that short film thingy made me any interested in the cast, and some of the CGI in this trailer was dodgy.  Plus it just looks like a bunch of uninspire, repetitive setpieces.  I imagine this probably won't get good reviews or do good box office

I guess I'm different, Jay. I think the cinematography and sets correlate with the choice of actors and the Xenomorph banging on the spaceship's window. It's all part of he same Scott Factory aesthetic. Not one element seems to rise above the 'meh'.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

OK, finally saw the new trailer

Well, I liked the cinematography and set/production design, but that's about it - literally nothing else about the trailer made me interested in seeing the film at all. Looks like more of the same ole same ole story wise, nothing from this or that short film thingy made me any interested in the cast, and some of the CGI in this trailer was dodgy.  Plus it just looks like a bunch of uninspire, repetitive setpieces.  I imagine this probably won't get good reviews or do good box office

Agree w/all this is except the last bit...I'm guessing it will track like Prometheus...mediocre reviews...60-70% on Metacritic, and a solid, but unspectacular, box office performance (assuming that Life coming out a couple months earlier doesn't take the wind out of Covenant's sails). 

But so many people were disappointed by Prometheus, I think this will make less many than that did, especially with all the summer competition its facing (three superhero movies)

Sure, Thor and Crumbs aren't the only ones who still have faith in Scott. There are many more out there ... outside the wall.

1 minute ago, nightscape94 said:

Scott's issue isn't his cinematic eye or directing skills, it's his ability to find a gripping worth-while story to tell, and telling it with the wisdom of his experience.

YES!  Extremely well said!

48 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I clearly see things differently. I see the result of someone with no ambition.This reflects on every aspect of his movies.

It's rather amazing to me that you can't see ambition in what he's been doing lately. It's OK if you don't like the  movies for whatever reason, but I see ambition in every frame he does.

7 minutes ago, Thor said:

but I see ambition in every frame he does.

That's strange because I see a director who underestimates his own audience. 

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Lack of ambition doesn't mean lack of skill.

Hollywood is full of skilled people. 'Skilled' doesn't wow me.

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I see a director who underestimates his own audience. 

In what way? Scott has always been a visceral & visual director, so whatever complexity (philosophically or otherwise) there is, it's planted on that side. If you're going to a Scott film expecting a complex surface narrative, you're looking in the wrong place. You should see Godard or something instead.

58 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's rather amazing to me that you can't see ambition in what he's been doing lately. It's OK if you don't like the  movies for whatever reason, but I see ambition in every frame he does.

I think he's trying too, I just don't like the results at all

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I think he's trying too, I just don't like the results at all

Funny, that's kind of how I think of Christopher Nolan. I definitely feel his effort to stay one step ahead of the audience, and I appreciate that, but it's too narrative based for my taste. With Scott I feel he doesn't care at all. Working is important to him, the result is of lesser importance. Yes, it's technically skilled, but I expect more from the man who made The Duellists, Alien and Blade Runner

16 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Funny, that's kind of how I think of Christopher Nolan. I definitely feel his effort to stay one step ahead of the audience, and I appreciate that, but it's too narrative based for my taste. With Scott I feel he doesn't care at all. Working is important to him, the result is of lesser importance. Yes, it's technically skilled, but I expect more from the man who made The Duellists, Alien and Blade Runner

I feel the same way. There's something cold about Scott's latest films. Like they're made by a man with the technical expertise to easily put these big projects together, but with little real interest to do so.

With Nolan, he gets so caught up in the ideas that he tends to lose sight of the bigger picture, so his films are sometimes held down by overwrought plot machinations or exposition. 

If he stops for a break they'll only ship him off to an old folks home, where he'll die. 

Quintus - thought the fun Martian movie was the exact opposite of cold. 

Working keeps him young. I don't think he will ever retire. He will die while giving instructions.

Remember, you heard it first from me.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

It really is good, and if Roger Ebert gives it 4/4, then who is anyone to disagree?

Because we're individuals with our own taste and standards to measure the quality of a film against?

And Ebert tended to be too generous too often with his 4/4 ratings.

What is "good", Blood? For that matter, what is "bad"? Blood, I'm not a drama critic.

To answer Daniel's post..if I like a film, I like a film, and stuff everyone else (case in point: PROMETHEUS). There are, however, the opinions of certain critics, that I inherently trust, and I try to use what they have to say about a film, as a yardstick to measure the film up against. These are people who - usually - have some sort of journalistic background, or who undertook film studies, at college, or university, and who write about films for a living. In short; it is their business to inform the general public about Cinema, and all things that surround the subject of Cinema. Of course, everyone's opinion is valid. Dan's, or mine, or Inky's, or Steef's opinion is no less relevant than, say, Pauline Kael's, but...is it as informed? Conversely, when The Sun says that a film is "Brilliant!", I usually run a mile from both the paper, and the film, because I just know that the opinion of The Sun is not even worth crapping on. To be fair to The Sun, it's a certain type of newspaper, with a certain type of opinion, for a certain type of readership - which I do not conform to.

In short; yes I like a lot of "good" films. For example, I like VERTIGO, but without reading around the subject, I could not inform people as to why it is so good. All I know is, I like it. This is where the good folk of JWfan come in, and I'm grateful for all the insightful evaluations that I have read. They certainly make my own meagre efforts seem as nothing. Like what you like, and don't like what you don't like, but, at least know why. Without that knowledge, one is just supercargo.

Pity you couldn't be as humble and unassuming as him with your own filmic views, huh Thor! ;)

Quintus - still reserves the right to snigger at people who enjoy patently bad movies in his view, such as Prometheus. 

Looks amazing, but I think this is another "pre-film"; seems to be a Walter/Weyland-Utani commercial created specifically as PR material. Perhaps it includes actual footage from the film. Love the use of music in this!