So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

Never cared much for the DC of ALIEN (as opposed to ALIENS and ALIEN 3 [sort of], in which case I find them superior to the theatrical cut). The absolutely fantastic PROMETHEUS sounds like a good warm-up, and I'm hoping COVENANT is more consistent in tone than the snippets we've been shown so far. Sounds like a great evening, overall. I'll be seeing COVENANT on the press screening May 16th.

I like a lot of the DC of Aliens, particularly the auto rifles, but the whole thing is marred by the colony scene at the beginning, which is completely unnecessary and kills the momentum.

Agreed, if you watch the DC and just press the chapter skip button as soon as the colony sequence starts, you're watching a pretty sweet cut of the film.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

They will have to suffer through Prometheus and Alien: Covenant as well!

The DC is the least if their worries that night.

And if you go to the big multiplexes you'll have to suffer through laser projection too.

DP4K-60L%20left%20on%20black-newsroom%20

Evil!

4 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I did. I felt it diminished the surreal painterly look that added to the unabashed romance if the scene. 

Good! There's more to movies than actors and story!

The latest batch of stills for this film are pretty interesting. It appears this films starts right where Prometheus left off, as

Spoiler

David & Shaw arrive at the Engineer home-world.

I think the suggestion that this film is just a soft reboot of Alien are off the mark. It feels much more like Prometheus 2 than the marketing is letting on (probably due to the inverse situation with Prometheus, where it was promoted as Alien 0 but ended up being entirely different).

9 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

I did. I felt it diminished the surreal painterly look that added to the unabashed romance if the scene. 

If it was a movie which supported that kind of impressionistic visual artistry I'd probably agree. But as it is, I prefer the more realistic sky of the blu-ray version. 

Well, it's a romantic tragedy framed by a world famous sea disaster, but its actual quality is defined much more by the craftsmanship of its making rather than any artistic strokes. Typical James Cameron filmmaking actually. 

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

If it was a movie which supported that kind of impressionistic visual artistry I'd probably agree. But as it is, I prefer the more realistic sky of the blu-ray version. 

But for that scene, it kinda was. It was fine. Why bother making it look more drab and boring?

3 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Well, it's a romantic tragedy framed by a world famous sea disaster, but its actual quality is defined much more by the craftsmanship of its making rather than any artistic strokes. Typical James Cameron filmmaking actually. 

Oh don't get me wrong. The second half of the film from the moment where Thomas Andrews makes his prediction ("She's made of iron, sir! I assure you, she can... and she will. It is a mathematical certainty.") to the moment where the ships finally breaks in two is a cinematic triumph in long-form suspense. Absolutely edge of your seat stuff that few do as well as Cameron. From the human drama that unfolds to the terrifying images of water that first crawls slowly forwards, but eventually just comes barreling in. Breathless film making!

But a changed background really doesnt bother me.

15 minutes ago, publicist said:

So who's Jed Kurzel?

Reminds me of the conductor who recorded Star Wars in the '70s ... What's his name ...

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

It's unimportant. I didn't even know they'd changed it. 

Cameron changed it because Neil deGrasse Tyson sent him a letter about it. So he made the star constellation exact to the time and day of the actual sinking. 

46 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Cameron changed it because Neil deGrasse Tyson sent him a letter about it. So he made the star constellation exact to the time and day of the actual sinking. 

Next version, Jack's yell after he declares himself king of the world will be changed and when Rose decides to save Jack rather than get on the lifeboat, she'll say, "No...NOOOOO!!!" Also, Sebulba will be seen walking down the grand staircase

Oh so they're using Goldsmith's theme again in this one? Expected but somewhat bizarre given that Scott almost eliminated it from the original film.

Karol