So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

Oh so they're using Goldsmith's theme again in this one? Expected but somewhat bizarre given that Scott almost eliminated it from the original film.

Karol

But he restored it in the alternate isolated score track!

I've recently received a promo of the COVENANT score, and I REALLY like it. Several good aspects to this -- both the references to Goldsmith, Goldenthal, Streitenfeld/HGW and a little bit of Horner, as well as Kurzel's own stylings. No Frizzell, but the "The Med Bay" has shades of the propulsive underwater cue from RESSURECTION. I'll have to give it a few more listens to sort my thoughts.

Just three more weeks untill I see the film -- the film event of the year for me!

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:56 AM, Stefancos said:

It wouldnt be alien without Ripley!

Part of the problem is that it needs to be, and the series hasn't figured out how.

But remember, folks -- I like this score, which means that you all have to dislike it. Otherwise, there is no order in the universe. Awaiting your judgements....

Are those actual clips from the movie -- or more of those 'pre-movies'? I think I'm gonna hold off watching anymore now, untill I see the actual film.

TJ

The cheap video recordings filmed by the crew, I don't think that will be in the movie. BTW, at first I thought that part of the trailer was fake. It looked too cheap. Then I recognized one of the actors.

Some extra thoughts about the OST:

The Goldenthal/ALIEN 3 riffs in "Lonely Perfection" are cool. Also, the 'metallic' sounds and military percussion á la Horner in cues like "Cargo Lift" or "Terraforming Bay". Plus the creepy, slightly dissonant horn call that was the best thing about Streitenfeld's PROMETHEUS. And obviously several cameos of Goldsmith's themes.

But also plenty to enjoy in Kurzel's more 'reference-free' tracks.

The main surprise to me was how MUSICAL this album is. Sure, there are some cues that have a more 'sound design' feel, but a lot of it has listening value. Challenging and dissonant, but listenable.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Some extra thoughts about the OST:

The Goldenthal/ALIEN 3 riffs in "Lonely Perfection" are cool. Also, the 'metallic' sounds and military percussion á la Horner in cues like "Cargo Lift" or "Terraforming Bay". Plus the creepy, slightly dissonant horn call that was the best thing about Streitenfeld's PROMETHEUS. And obviously several cameos of Goldsmith's themes.

But also plenty to enjoy in Kurzel's more 'reference-free' tracks.

The main surprise to me was how MUSICAL this album is. Sure, there are some cues that have a more 'sound design' feel, but a lot of it has listening value. Challenging and dissonant, but listenable.

Great write-up, really looking forward to this now (after having extremely low expectations about Kurzel). Similarly positive review about the OST on FSM.

26 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The score is now available on Spotify.

Cool.  I feel like it's been less common in recent years to release soundtracks weeks before a film's release, when it used to be almost the norm.

I thought this was an interesting comment from someone on FSM who's seen the film, regarding the score:

Spoiler

For info, the album does not include a couple of reprises of HGW's "Earth" theme from Prometheus, which becomes source music in the film.

Source music?!

I suspect I know what it can be -- remember in PROMETHEUS, when they use that flute thing to trigger the control panel? I'm guessing it's a similar sequence, only that the flute melody is now the "Earth" theme.

Maybe it's some kind of global anthem for the Engineers? I mean, the theme is essentially theirs when you think about it.

Not a global anthem, necessarily, but more like a cornerstone folk melody which can be used to control panels. It sounds distant and remote in PROMETHEUS, but may get more of a presence (and source use) when they're on the actual Engineer planet.

Indeed, there was a time when the Alien universe was void of anthems, marches, polskas, and polonaises. In fact, somehow I don't associate Alien (1979) with a score. 

#AlienCovenant is an intense, strange and nightmarish continuation of the franchise. A great companion to Prometheus & the Alien mythos.

Bloody, odd, mysterious and a staggering picture of madness at times. Horrific in unexpected ways. #AlienCovenant

Yes yes 👽 #AlienCovenant what an intense rollercoaster of mystery & bloodshed! Haven't stopped talking about it probably won't sleep either

So Alien Convenant 😱😱😱😱 Definitely worth a trip to the cinema & a large box of popcorn! #AlienCovenant

Alien Covenant is fantastic and fun and scary #RidleyRules

#AlienCovenant is definitely better than Prometheus, bringing back the needed horror into the franchise. Deadly beautiful and mysterious

Scared out my nut, jumped wayyy too many times out my seat, add The fact I had my teeth clenched 😬through the whole film too #AlienCovenant

First impressions. More satisfying than Prometheus. Last act little messy re: the Aliens. Loved the cast and characters. 

#AlienCovenant flew by. It will please fans. Lots of classic touches, dark, gruesome at times, of course! Full review on Sunday.

Was at the premiere of Alien covenant tonight. Scary stuff! Very good out of very good. Need to watch something light now. Care Bears 2 perhaps

Yeah, not sleeping tonight. Lots of well done horror. I liked it overall, might have even really really liked but the last act descended into a combination of WTF and some clutter. I definitely prefer this movie to Prometheus. Really nice visuals, the 3D looked great. 

Not going to approach the original Alien or Aliens in terms of reviews or being beloved, but it is for sure better than Prometheus.  It is a pretty straight forward crowd pleasing Alien film by Ridley Scott.

People are going to be happy. 

First impressions streaming in from the premiere. Seems like it's no masterpiece, but it's probably the film people hoped Prometheus would be. Sounds like it's much more of a Prometheus sequel than marketing is leading people to believe, but overall it definitely delivers.

Disappointed that it seems short on the intellectual and philosophical (which is what I liked about ALIEN, ALIEN 3 and PROMETHEUS, in particular), but I realize that's not what people want. Hopefully, there is SOME of that, though (which might have flown by most of the fans' minds after that early screening).

There's a few other reactions that have me intrigued. I don't think the film is all mindless blood & gore, there's definitely some weird thematic sci-fi stuff as well.

http://www.indiewire.com/2012/05/early-prometheus-reactions-find-signs-of-intelligent-life-in-ridley-scotts-sci-fi-return-129815/

Instant Twitter-verse Reaction:

Daniel Fienberg, HitFIx:

“The first two acts of ‘Prometheus’ are fairly tremendous — 2 or 3 classic fright scenes, some strong acting, good 3D.”

“The last chunk of ‘Prometheus’ is trying to serve too many masters and becomes muddled, though not cripplingly so.”

Peter Sciretta/Film:

“I’ve been given the go ahead. I can tell you I’ve seen ‘Prometheus’ and I can confirm that it is awesome.”

“‘Prometheus’: Not only is it thrilling, but it leaves you asking questions. (remember, @DamonLindelof is involved after all)”

Steve WeintraubCollider:

“#PROMETHEUSis the type of big budget sci-fi that studios rarely make. Extremely well done. Don’t read reviews. Just go see it.”

Alex BillingtonFirstShowing.Net:

“I just saw #Prometheus last night — it was AWESOME. Loved it. Truly breathtaking, incredible, spectacular, thrilling sci-fi at its best.”

PROMETHEUS Buzz - Review Round-up and Twitter Reactions

Peter Sciretta (@slashfilm): I’ve been given the go ahead. I can tell you I’ve seen Prometheus and I can confirm that it is awesome. Not only is it thrilling, but it leaves you asking questions. (remember, @DamonLindelof is involved after all). The 3D looked great, and the film is visually stunning. Sadly, every trailer/tv spot gives away the story’s biggest “twist”, but I think the movie is enjoyable regardless. Michael Fassbender is amazing, stealing every scene he’s in.

Alex Billington (@firstshowing): I just saw ?#Prometheus? last night – it was AWESOME. Loved it. Truly breathtaking, incredible, spectacular, thrilling sci-fi at its best. There’s a lot of freaky, disgusting, tense moments, but not outright ‘scare the shit out of me’ personally. You’ll dig.

Evan Dickson: So I can’t run a review just yet – but I can say that PROMETHEUS is really good. It’s simultaneously what you’re expecting and not what you’re expecting. Has some great moments. And not everything has been spoiled by the trailers. Still a bunch of surprises. It also requires you to engage and think along with it – you have to participate, which I like. My review is still under embargo and I might wait until tomorrow after I’ve seen the film again to write it. But I was not disappointed.

Larry Carroll? (@LarryCarroll): Other folks are blabbing, told I can too. “Prometheus” is the best Alien installment in decades; still, can’t touch the first 2 flicks. Fassbender steals every scene he’s in. Idris Elba also great. Beautifully shot, at least one instant classic scene. Leaves u wanting sequel.

Tom Wells (?@TomWellsLSF): Just seen @UK_Prometheus. People, prepare to have your minds blown! Only one thing wrong with it- I WANT MORE! Still can’t quite believe how good @UK_Prometheus is! One of the best I’ve seen in ages! Gotta see it again! ?#Prometheus? ?#AreYouSeeingThis?

Andrew Freund ?(@andrewfreund): Saw @PrometheusMovie last night and it was PHENOMENAL!! A new sci fi epic has been born!! Interviewing the cast today! My mind=blown. Phenomenal

Edward Douglas (@EDouglasWW): I’ve been given permission to say that I’ve seen Prometheus and I actually liked it quite a bit. Even seeing it again tomorrow!

Robbie Collin? (@robbiereviews): PROMETHEUS is, um, absolutely nuts. Not perfect by a stretch but there are ideas here you wouldn’t expect a studio to touch with a 10ft pole

Mark Adams (ScreenDaily): …with his fantasy epic Prometheus it is clear his striking sense of vision, drama and excitement fits perfectly with the genre and he has delivered a film that is already one of the most anticipated titles of the summer and should thrill, challenge and provoke audiences ready for his signature brand of intelligent and visceral film-making. … One thing that Prometheus isn’t is an Alien-clone. Alien – despite that it may feel slowly-paced set against current editing styles – was a film that embraced its horror-in-space format, and after a slow-burn set up and magnificent central gore moment as the mini-alien bursts from John Hurt’s chest settled into a brilliantly shot monster movie before Sigourney Weaver’s final memorable battle. While Prometheus has some striking chilling moments it never plays the all-out horror card, instead developing the science alongside the action and punctuating the film with moments that jolt and amaze. … It is Michael Fassbender, though, who perhaps has the most fun in Prometheus.

[...]

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Peter Sciretta (@slashfilm): I’ve been given the go ahead. I can tell you I’ve seen Prometheus and I can confirm that it is awesome. Not only is it thrilling, but it leaves you asking questions. (remember, @DamonLindelof is involved after all).

:lol:

59 minutes ago, crumbs said:

There's a few other reactions that have me intrigued. I don't think the film is all mindless blood & gore, there's definitely some weird thematic sci-fi stuff as well.

Yeah, let's hope so. Scott has never made a film that is purely 'surface value'. There is always stuff going on, whether it is communicated through story or dialogue or more importantly through visuals and sound. Most of the reactions posted here seem to be about the 'surface value' -- which is fine, I guess (and to be expected from the 'general populace') -- but I'm expecting more layers as well. Something for us Scott fans and film buffs to sink our teeth into.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

We can't always trust RT either.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prometheus_2012/

;)

I can't tell you how amped I was when I saw Ebert give this 4 stars.  One of the very few times he ever let me down.

I vividly remember his 4 star review of Sky Captain, the only reason I went to see that in a theater.  He was always a sucker for 40s "low" culture (serials, pulp stories, etc.)