So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

You can still change your mind...

People complain but they are going to see it regardless. The call of the Alien is too strong.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I won't pay money for it?

Shame. You're robbing yourself of one of the best film experiences of the year.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

You really think Steef is going to feel like that should he go see the movie? Remember, he didn't like Prometheus either (to put it mildly).

I know it is coincidental, but did anyone else thought that the song that Walter learned from David sounds awfully similar to John Debney's "Dream House" theme?

28 minutes ago, Thor said:

Did you think it was better than Aliens?

25 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Did you think it was better than Aliens?

No. Few fillms are.

47 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

You really think Steef is going to feel like that should he go see the movie? Remember, he didn't like Prometheus either (to put it mildly).

I know, but this is a hybrid film in all shapes and forms. It's not "just" PROMETHEUS 2. If you disliked PROMETHEUS, you might very well like this. And vice versa. And both at once (like me). Damn, now I've lost my train of thought!

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Disco Stu will think the movie is fine.

Its starting soon.  I'd love it to be better than adequate but my hopes aren't high.  Hopefully Scott's visual flair is on full display at the very least.

16 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Which films?

Alien3

;)

10 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Its starting soon.  I'd love it to be better than adequate but my hopes aren't high.  Hopefully Scott's visual flair is on full display at the very least.

Don't worry. You won't hate it. I know it. Trust me! Have faith!

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

You won't hate it. I know it. Trust me! Have faith!

Negative.  I walked out after 80 or 90 minutes of that pathetic excuse for a sci fi movie.  Don't even remember the last time I walked out of a movie but I realized I had no interest in seeing how that half-assed nonsense resolved.  Prometheus was better and it wasn't even that great.

Who walks out of a Ridley Scott Alien movie? Especially one they presumably paid for.

My expectations for this movie are quite low, but I assure you I'll be watching the whole thing. There's no way it's that bad.

I don't believe you. I think you're trying to torment Thor. Scan of your ticket stub or it didn't happen.

I purchased digitally.  I've probably sat through worse, just wasn't in the mood for that shittiness today.  Lazy, stupid, reverse engineered "mythology" that would only serve to diminish the brilliance of the first film if you let it (I won't)

IMG_0410.PNG

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I purchased digitally.  I've probably sat through worse, just wasn't in the mood for that shittiness today.  Lazy, stupid, reverse engineered "mythology" that would only serve to diminish the brilliance of the first film if you let it (I won't)

Wow. That bad?

Now I'm starting to question it, but it seemed like the right decision at the time.  Gonna read through the last few pages of this thread later to see where others stand.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Negative.  I walked out after 80 or 90 minutes of that pathetic excuse for a sci fi movie.  Don't even remember the last time I walked out of a movie but I realized I had no interest in seeing how that half-assed nonsense resolved.  Prometheus was better and it wasn't even that great.

I thought you were the kind of guy who always tries to look on the bright side of things. Guess I was wrong!

52 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Now I'm starting to question it, but it seemed like the right decision at the time.  Gonna read through the last few pages of this thread later to see where others stand.

Most people liked it. So far, you and I (and croc, to some extent) are the only members here who didn't like it.

I can forgive a lot in a movie if there's some hook to pull me along, be it characterizations, style, or just an idea.  I thought this movie was just an eyeroller in all departments.

God the score!  Those inane direct Goldsmith quotes that felt completely unearned and out of place.

1 star out of 5! 

At least you get to hear Goldsmith's theme properly in a movie. ;)

And Gregson-Williams' theme from Prometheus is actually quite good.

Karol

It's pretty amazing. The reactions are pouring in over on FSM, and they are -- to my delightful surprise -- almost ALL positive (as are they in my 'critic community' and most other places I frequent). Only here on JWFAN are the reactions predictably negative. Geezes. What a place this is....

29 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's pretty amazing. The reactions are pouring in over on FSM, and they are -- to my delightful surprise -- almost ALL positive (as are they in my 'critic community' and most other places I frequent). Only here on JWFAN are the reactions predictably negative. Geezes. What a place this is....

Hmmmmm. I've seen that thread at FSM, and I don't think your characterisation that "almost ALL" the comments are positive is accurate. In fact, I'd say it's pretty balanced.  And I don't know what your "critic community" is, but Covenant  has a 67 score on Metacritic, and that's pretty much reflective of what I've seen no the internet. So if your "critic community" is "all positive" on this movie, then you're in the decided minority.

So why are you mischaracterising what's going on online to make this place look "predictably negative"? Why are you so desperate to convince people who don't like this movie as much as you seem to that they're somehow impaired? As Jay said, you seem more concerned about what others think of the movie...and of what others think of what you think of it...than actually reviewing it.

Why don't you do that?

PS.  I'm not saying the film is bad. I'm just wondering why you feel such ownership of this movie, and so driven to convince everyone here that they're just a bunch of negative people for not fawning over it like  you.

The first negative comment just arrived in the FSM thread, but up to that point, they were all more or less positive. See the responses from May 15th onwards (anything prior to that is pre-judging):

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?pageID=3&forumID=1&threadID=118189&archive=0

As for 'critic community', I'm obviously referring to the community I frequent here in Norway (all critics have been positive). I haven't researched the international community yet.

8 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

As Jay said, you seem more concerned about what other think of the movie...and of what others think of what you think of it...than actually reviewing it.

I've already reviewed it. See previous link (through Google Translate). I won't be able to post any English summaries untill late next week, at the earliest. For the moment, I can only post quick comments and responses, like hammering in -- once again -- that this is a SUPERB film!

29 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm usually pretty positive around here!  But when you hate a movie, you hate a movie.

You make it sound as if it's Scott's worst movie to date. Is it worse than the Moses movie?

That top 10! I'm afraid we have very different tastes, Thor.

I haven't seen Last Days On Mars though, but since it's in your top 10, it's probably not for me. ;)

I didn't see the Moses movie.  I don't generally like much that Scott has made post-Legend.  In my opinion he's largely a failure based on his early brilliance.

Ridley's best:

1. Alien

2. Blade Runner

3. Gladiator

4. Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut only)

5. The Martian

Exodus was not a very good movie. The best movie that year was Interstellar.

Even though I had read the Wiki plot summary, I saw the Rotten Tomatoes score and thought "Maybe it won't be so bad."

SPOILER ALERT

Spoiler

Covenant is beautifully shot and has a great sense of atmosphere, but it is not that suspenseful or shocking (apart from two scenes). Ridley Scott just regressed to the level of a "Friday the 13th" with Xenomorphs and Deacons in place of Jason Voorhees and his machete. (Katherine Waterson's Daniels is the Final Girl who's the smartest one in the expedition team, she's not Ripley at all.) There's a LOT of CGI blood and gore here, it got really distracting. Scott and the screenwriters have picked up some of the threads from Prometheus, but the plotting and story motivation makes little to no sense. And the way Noomi Rapace's character is addressed is such a slap in the face. Michael Fassbender is typically fantastic, but the muddled script and character motivation limit even him.

And how can someone be an alien incubator just on alien spores? The facehuggers make more sense, and Scott never really addresses that apart from the "David is playing God" angle with the black goo.

1 hour ago, Godzilla said:

Let me do the fingering.

That was some serious homoeroticism between David and Walter.

Also bizarre for David to play HGW's "Life" as an ode to Shaw.

I don't even remember much of Prometheus. I remember it looked cool, but it was dull. The one scene I do remember was when that broad got in the machine and it excised the organism from her body, then she just walked away. It was one of many baffling moments where the audience is left incredulous. I can only assume the film was intended for jerkoffs.

That being said, why would I want to see a sequel? Drax loves it, but he also loves the Fast and the Furious franchise.

1 minute ago, Selina Kyle said:

I don't even remember much of Prometheus. I remember it looked cool, but it was dull. The one scene I do remember was when that broad got in the machine and it excised the organism from her body, then she just walked away. It was one of many baffling moments where the audience is left incredulous. I can only assume the film was intended for jerkoffs.

That being said, why would I want to see a sequel?

You get to see aliens busting out of people's chests, as well as their mouths and backs. Strictly for gorehounds.