So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

A different list ... (It's not really about the ones that are in the list but rather about the ones that didn't make it)

1. Empire Of The Sun (unique in his oeuvre and the only Spielberg I have on Blu-ray)

2 Schindler's List (even though I hate the "I could have done more" scene like there's no tomorrow)

3. The Color Purple

4. Jaws

5. Catch Me If You Can

6. E.T.

7. Duel

8. Close Encounters

9. Raiders Of The Lost Ark

10. Saving Private Ryan

Alex

Good list!  I like the Color Purple love.

In my opinion, he's only made three truly, reprehensibly terrible movies:

The Terminal, Hook, and Always.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Good list!  I like the Color Purple love.

In my opinion, he's only made three truly, reprehensibly terrible movies:

The Terminal, Hook, and Always.

Yep! And let me put them in a top 3:

1. Always

2. Hook

3. The Terminal

None of Spielberg's movies, including those three, are "reprehensibly terrible". That's hyperbole.  He's too skilled a filmmaker to make a terrible movie.

Spielberg at his worst is worse than terrible. He's average.

13 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

None of Spielberg's movies, including those three, are "reprehensibly terrible". That's hyperbole.  He's too skilled a filmmaker to make a terrible movie.

Hyperbole is what the internet should be called

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

Depends on how you view movies. A movie or a piece of music that is skillfully made can still be grating. For instance, Prometheus is professionally made but there were several times that I wanted to throw something at the screen. I never give points to a $100.000.000 movie merely because there is some skill involved. I rather see that money spend on something else.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Only on JWfan!

After Thor was going on about how universally loved Covenant was over at FSM (untrue as it turns out), I went over there and browsed a bit.

Man, they really don't like this place. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

1. Always

2. Hook

3. The Terminal

1. and 3. are mush (with core ideas gone wrong) but they are basically harmless sunday afternoon viewings. 'Hook' is a bit worse (because it's loud, overlong and mawkish at the same time). But reflecting on it, i find a 'political' movie like BOS worse because it thinks it is about something, preferably something 'important' (it's not) - that's a pretension 'Always' at least never exhibits in any way, shape or form.

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

1. and 3. are mush (with core ideas gone wrong) but they are basically harmless sunday afternoon viewings. 'Hook' is a bit worse (because it's loud, overlong and mawkish at the same time). But reflecting on it, i find a 'political' movie like BOS worse because it thinks it is about something, preferably something 'important' (it's not) - that's a pretension 'Always' at least never exhibits in any way, shape or form.

Yeah, but doesn't have Hook at least have a nicely over-the-top hokey performance by Dustin Hoffman?

What is BOS? I don't want to look it up.

Got it! Bridge Of Spies! Of course!

FSM forum is nothing but annoying old curmudgeons who overrate mediocre scores and whinge about the times leaving them behind.

Its like a film score fan retirement community.

14 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Wait, what's this? What's the My Little Pony Story?

It all started with one guy (which we shall call "Basil") obsessed with getting a complete release of the My Little Pony score:

Then, Stiff being Stiff, things soon turned dirty (as you'll see if you read the posts following the one I linked to), which then led to this:

JWFAN'S Finest Hour!

15 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

JWFAN'S Finest Hour!

THAT. IS. FUCK*NG GOLD.

"The Specimen"...OMFG. I literally laughed out loud. Genius. Pure, unadulterated genius. Best threads ever.

Thanks BB. Haven't laughed like that in a while.

thats-gold-jerry.png

Nonsense. My opinion on Spielberg films has...always been very correct. His best work is obviously Jaws, E.T., Raiders and the like, his modern flicks are a lot of boring overproduced Oscar bait and Always is unfairly lambasted.

Jeff Bond is becoming hysterical over the prominance of credit attribution between Goldsmith and Kurzel and how "idiots all over the world" will think the latter wrote the 1979 Alien music because his credit appears at the beginning and Jerry's at the very end.

Sure I get what he's pointing at, but is it really a big deal to get upset about? Are general audiences "idiots" for being misled over a simple credit placement? Jeff should calm down.

This is a pretty good review. Explores more artwork that influenced the film and Scott's vision (both photographically and thematically):

http://www.avclub.com/review/covenant-returns-alien-its-horror-roots-255201

I wasn't aware of the artwork that inspired the look of the Engineer city, so that's cool to see.

The review also points out what I've come to realise over the past week: the least interesting aspects of this film involve the adult Xenomorph. It's obvious Ridley wasn't interested in it either; the coherency of his direction nosedives in the third act. He's clearly more interested in exploring the dynamic between Walter & David and it shows.

15 hours ago, crumbs said:

Well, I'd say what I really feel, but Jason might not appreciate the profanity on a family-friendly forum.

IIRC they made an idiotic marketing decision with Prometheus on BD; they only included CDL's 3 hour documentary on the 3D Bluray release. Who even has a 3D TV? And nobody in their right mind is paying extra to get a useless 3D disc of Prometheus just to acquire the documentary.

So clearly the sales tanked and the same genius who made that decision probably asked why they should bother funding another documentary for Covenant, given the last one made no difference to sales.

Hey I bought the 3D blu for that doc! I just waited until it was on sale :P

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

FSM forum is nothing but annoying old curmudgeons who overrate mediocre scores and whinge about the times leaving them behind.

Its like a film score fan retirement community.

Yep, a bunch of old nerds with nothing better to do with their time!