So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

Ridley Scott calls Michael Bay's Transformers movies "digital masterpieces" ...

... and that he doesn't have the patience to do it.

Talking about "patience". Watch how Scott doesn't know what to do with himself when Fassbender is talking. A severe case of ADHD? 

ADHD keeps people young?

I get the feeling the only reason he keeps banging on about franchising the series is because it's the message he's been getting from Fox execs, and he wants to be in charge (hence tanking Blomkamp's film).

Indeed! If he doesn't do it, somebody else will. And that is something he can't let happen. 

Scott shoots every scene with 5 or 6 cameras so he can poop them out in a record time. 

Given the box office returns for Covenant, FOX's dreams of an Alien franchise might prove to be as short lived as a Hadley's Hope colonist.

I wish they would have just made the Bloomkamp film. 

Covenant cost under $100m so its break-even threshold isn't particularly high. $300m worldwide should be profitable for Fox, not including streaming and home video revenue.

The series has always been a money maker. In this case, keeping the series ongoing and part of pop culture is probably more important for Fox than any individual film being a mega-hit, because of all the residuals these franchises provide long-term.

This was a dumb and pointless movie. Prometheus is the superior film.

That is all.

Not that it really matters, but it really sucks that the now canon "explanation" for the precise origin of the xenomorphs is so... dull.   God prequels are the worst.

I find it kind of fascinating that all these people that hated Prometheus went out in droves to see this film.

I feel like at this point it's just something people love to hate. Not dissimilar to the end of Shyamalan's career before his "indie" resurgence. People loved to go out and pay to see his movies just to hate them. 

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I find it kind of fascinating that all these people that hated Prometheus went out in droves to see this film.

But looking at how underachieving its performance is at the box-office, I think many have learned their lesson as well.

I feel like at this point it's just something people love to hate. Not dissimilar to the end of Shyamalan's career before his "indie" resurgence. People loved to go out and pay to see his movies just to hate them. 

I think the fuel that drives people to vocalize their opinion comes from their fondness for the first couple of movies.  It's somewhat comparable to Star Wars where fans love to praise or complain about the franchise.

I find it kind of fascinating that all these people that hated Prometheus went out in droves to see this film.

I was genuinely curious, actually. I didn't go in expecting shit. And while I disliked Prometheus, I would have been interested in an intelligent expansion of its core ideas and mythology. 

With that said, Alien: Covenant takes all that and shoves it down the toilet to produce the blandest variation of the familiar franchise formula yet. It's basically a bunch of uninspired death stunts loosely tied together by some watered-down Prometheus babble.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Not that it really matters, but it really sucks that the now canon "explanation" for the precise origin of the xenomorphs is so... dull.   God prequels are the worst.

In-fucking-deed.

At least Prometheus left some things to the imagination. That Hobbit-style flashback in the middle of the film made me cringe.

This film is redundant, and offers nothing that we, as an audience could not have pieced together ourselves when it comes to the events that supposedly transpired between Prometheus and the original Alien. That there's another film coming up, meaning to take place somewhere in this timeline, baffles me.

7 hours ago, KK said:

This was a dumb and pointless movie. Prometheus is the superior film.

That is all.

Still .. why is it dumb? Is it the script? Again?

33 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Not really, no. Some people went for that reAson, sure, but not everyone.

Some went to see it, because they were willing to give the movie a chance: they didn't assume that because Prometheus was shit, Covenant was bound to be shit as well. Others went because their friends wanted to see it, so they just rolled with it, hoping that said friends will remember they owe them something after that. And then a few others went because that's one of the "movies event of the year" everyone is going to watch and be talking about (plus, it's an Alien movie, a franchise with an important cultural impact), so watching it is the best way to join the conversation and give one's own opinion on it. You didn't like The Phantom Menace, yet you still watched its sequels, didn't you?

I was 9 when I saw The Phantom Menace. 

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

c5639bf8b09ac0dbb6fae7651ae255679037bbe7

It's why you liked the Ewoks in ROTJ or that mine cart chase in TOD when you were 9, Steef. All your favorite movies are based on your own nostalgic memories.

It's true.  In 20 years, people who were obsessed with Marvel movies when they 10 will be calling the next generation idiots for liking whatever the popcorn entertainment du jour is.

12 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's why you liked the Ewoks in ROTJ or that mine cart chase in TOD when you were 9, Steef. All your favorite movies are based on your own nostalgic memories.

I never cared for the Ewoks, and I didn't see ROTJ when I was 9.

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Still .. why is it dumb? Is it the script? Again?

Well there are dumb characters and certain questionable moments in the script, yes, but on the surface, the script does not seem as "dumb" as Prometheus'.

But the way it treats its core concepts and tries to fool the audience into thinking we're watching something truly "important" was insulting to the audience' intelligence I think. Like I said, everything here has been done better before. The deaths are gimmicky, the pacing is all over the place and the way it presents its own mythology is messy and rather laughable.

Gone is the mystique of the alien. It's no longer scary, no longer fascinating or exciting. 

Fassbender was good. And there were some interesting sets and ideas that were flirted with. Music was also not bad, but unremarkable. Overall a shallow, pointless affair.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

That mine cart chase is still fantastic!

Yes, the fan enthusiasm was there for Prometheus (adjusted for inflation it's the highest grossing one behind the first two) and they squandered it.  Covenant is not winning them back, seemingly.