So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

I still think that

Charlize Theron's character should have been the one to survive, with Noomi Rapace's character being the one who dies. As it is now, Charlize's character was a totally unnecessary character in the first film, who didn't get to do anything. You remove all her scenes and have the exact same movie

I look forward to Ridley Scott directing another one of these because the cinematography, special effects, and set designs were all truly amazing, with a lot of original ideas present. I just hope it has a significantly better script than the first one or it will be just as much of a massive disappointment as that film was

Hopefully this one will have a better score too

What you saw in the first film, the Lindelof's version, has been written in about two weeks. With some more work, maybe the new film can impress, especially now that the expectations aren't as high.

And yes, the visuals were great.

Karol

I'd go through a 24-hour marathon of Prometheus before sitting through any given 30-second clip from Bay's Transformers movies.

As flawed as Prometheus was, I think with better writers, this sequel to the prequel could be something great.

As I seem to be the only one here who not only liked Prometheus, but thought it was damn engrossing - bring it on!

It went from "this is great" to "BWAHAHAHAHA, what the fuck am I watching here?" but always fascinating. I'm completely down for a sequel.

James Cameron is delaying Avatar 2 to direct Prometheus's, or correctly spelled Prometheus'.

Uh, yah. Scott said he had one in mind the whole time and the ending clearly sets one up.

The ending sets up ALIEN in CRITTERS-like fashion, that's the sequel.

Since PROMETHEUS wasn't that big of a success, i'm certain that even more studio care will go into making of P2 - i leave it up to the discrimininating viewer to judge if that's a good or bad thing.

Because this movie is begging for a sequel...

:-/

Uh, yah. Scott said he had one in mind the whole time and the ending clearly sets one up.

What, like Chronicles of Riddick?

• 5 months later...

I don't see this film happening. Scott has too much on his plate before this and likely not enough life span remaining.

I decided that Ridley Scott could redeem himself for directing such a weak script by creating a sequel or series in which Shaw and David explore the universe and have zany adventures. It could be called "Doc and the Head", and they wouldn't get on very well because of such differing temperaments and the obviously-difficult history. He would have to come to admit it was he who killed her boyfriend and caused her impregnation; she would hold it against him for a long time and refuse to reconnect his head. They would grapple with existential issues about 'meeting your maker', the dream she pursues, while he has already done it. Through trials and adventures they would bond, she would eventually forgive him and they fall in love. But it wouldn't be an easy ride: she might still harbour animosity, and create confusing jealousies within him by having sex with his body and head alternately. The infertility issue would have to broached again too, as it's really an inter-species love (plus he totally ruined her womb). He might even deconvert her from her primitive human theism, and help her philosophies become more sophisticated considering the scientific odyssey they are on. There'd be humour throughout though, as his head's sense of humour can be very cerebral and linguistic, while his body engages in all sorts of slapstick shenanigans (and get them out of trouble a few times too!). Eventually he could use his language skills to communicate with the engineers and help her realise her wishes - they might come to fully manifest their destinies by using engineer technology, her eggs and his skills to create their own child.

20251-tumblr_m5ooolcwrp1r4rufco1_1280.jpg

:lol: I love it!

Also I am always surprised when I see a post by someone with over 300 posts yet I don't recognize their screen name at all

Robin Hood, Prometheus ... what's the difference? He's 70 years old and he's still working ... that's the feeling I get when I watch a Scott movie. The assembly line needs to keep rolling or else the factory closes down.

Really?

Its the one i hated most by far.

I felt personally offended by it for 2 days.

Yeah, I've noticed that it's pretty popular to hate PROMETHEUS these days. I have my own take on that, which I'll save for another time.

My prediction is that it will receive greater respect in a few years, especially from cineastes, much like you see with A.I.

Technically the film was well shot and edited for the most part, Scott is an old pro, and know how to make a film.

The effects were good, but uninspired.

I never had a "wow" moment.

Its really on the script level that the film fails utterly.

I didn't like the script/plot/dialog either.

When I watch Scott's first 3 movies, all my buttons are being pushed. Pure visually, Prometheus left me cold as a Rick Deckard.

Alex

Yeah, I've noticed that it's pretty popular to hate PROMETHEUS these days. I have my own take on that, which I'll save for another time.

Lemme guess, everyone else is wrong and you're right?

everyone seems to be blown away by 'the visuals' (everyone except me).

Excuse me?

Lemme guess, everyone else is wrong and you're right?

No, not really. Taste is subjective. However, the nature of much of the criticism (especially the desperate narrative deconstruction) is rather strained. It's also very underrated for what it is -- an audiovisuel exploration of some pretty heavy themes. The devil's in the details.

I saw it long before you did Alex. You have a short memory.

I avoided most of the discussion. I wanted to go in fresh as a Rachael.

Still, everyone loves the visuals ... best visuals since Avatar, they all say (which I didn't like either).

Visually, What was in Prometheus that we haven't seen before in other films?

Thor, as a sci-fi film i found its questions and themes obvious (its just Chariots of the Gods by von Danniken again).

As a horror film it lacked that fear factor, there is nothing like that scene were Harry Dean Stanton spends minutes in the deep innards of the ship looking for the cat, your stomach tightening.

Which was actually a cliché, Steef, even in 1979. But by god, we get to see the most amazing images and atmosphere during that sequence. Visually, everything is so layered. And then there's that whole 'retrofitting' design thing, which we also see in Blade Runner. It's even more beautiful on Blu-ray.

Visually, What was in Prometheus that we haven't seen before in other films?

Thor, as a sci-fi film i found its questions and themes obvious (its just Chariots of the Gods by von Danniken again).

It's that, but it's also more -- it's really the whole exploration of the origins of life, rebirth etc. HUGE philosophical themes. What I love about it, however, is that these themes are not explored through dialogue or exposition, but through various details in the visuals, in typical Scott fashion -- it's even in the production design in the ship or on the planet. Not to the same extent as the Freudian undercurrent in ALIEN, but a similar approach for a slightly different subject.

Actually, everything is explored though dialogue and exposition. The characters clearly state the themes and questions of the film, tells us which ones are answered and which are left open for part two.

There's nothing for my mind left to ponder about. Apart from how redundant it all is.

Actually, everything is explored though dialogue and exposition. The characters clearly state the themes and questions of the film, tells us which ones are answered and which are left open for part two.

There's nothing for my mind left to ponder about. Apart from how redundant it all is.

In the case of Scott, form is ALWAYS content. There is always extra meaning there beyond what is communicated through the storytelling. That's why he's one of my favourite directors of all time, and PROMETHEUS is just a further testament to that, IMO.

But probably little point in going on about this, as we are clearly on opposite sides in our evaluation and reaction to the film. At this point, I prefer to just let all the "hate" pass and let time ameliorate its status.