So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

I'm not attacking you believe it or not. Just drawing attention to your acute Alien fawning every five minutes.

I'm fairly sure I'm not the only one who finds it a bit tedious after the umpteenth time. It can feel like sermon on the mount!

I'm not attacking you.

The themes of Prometheus are speak and spell clichés for the FHM generation, done a million times before and far more substantially. Again, the script is the culprit, because visual themes (such as the eyes in Blade Runner) aren't apparent, or at least successfully conveyed.

Are Koray and Thor FHM readers?

I don't even know what FHM is.

All I know is that I got a lot out of this film in terms of audiovisual philosophy and viscerality. It's a film tailored exactly to my taste.

I'm not attacking you.

Perhaps, but I don't see how it helps this discussion. It's a shame because I do enjoy these discussions about Ridley Scott. It fascinates me that some folks don't make a difference between his movies (old and new) and that to them Prometheus finds itself in the same league of his masterpieces. That's utterly interesting to me. I could use Black Rain or White Squall but I don't feel that those are classics in any way. It seems you are more interested in me than in the discussion. We are talking about Prometheus and Ridley Scott, not about me.

Alex

I'm glad you liked it Thor. It's just not for me and I admit I'm just very dubious of those who say they extract all sorts of quality and meaning out of it.

Serious question: how would you rate its intellectualism alongside 2001: A Space Odessey? Sorry for sounding like a portentous dick in advance.

It seems you are more interested in me than in the discussion.

Of course it does. You would think that, wouldn't you.

I'm really into these indepth discussions as well, but I just get put off participating when the same things/movies come up again and again and again along with the exact points and content as the times before. The Alien thing has been done to death here now after all these years. Can you not deal with that?

I do think there aren't that many movies where every square inch of each frame is completely designed and imagined from the ground up (in a way that is unseen before or after, save for 2001: ASO) and that are also so visually driven films as Alien and Blade Runner. It's this combination that does it (for me, that is). It's not just about gorgeous landscapes that are beautifully photographed. ;) While I love Snyder too, with him it's less about the sets coming to life. You can't beat Scott's sets.

It's just a preference thing init. For me Blade Runner has the edge on Alien in that way anyway, but I also consider E.T. to be equally visually 'intimate' as those films, and in the same breath I can think of Being John Malkovich, One Flew Over the Cukoos Nest, Coraline and Inglorious Basterds as being 'up there' with the best in terms of strong visual storytelling and tangible worlds which live and breath beyond the borders of the discernable image. See; science fiction is only one avenue in which cinematic artistry can be found. Not the only avenue (which sometimes can feel at odds with what gets promoted here).

It seems you are more interested in me than in the discussion. We are talking about Prometheus and Ridley Scott, not about me.

Alex

He also has an obsession with me.

Lol, we both know the reality of that one, lover boy...

Or as I affectionately think of you, "my shadow".

Lol, we both know the reality of that one, lover boy...

Or as I affectionately think of you, "my shadow".

Yes, I am fully aware of the reality of what's *really* going on.

You feign interest in my old friend Ren, so you can keep close to me.

She is your.... Beard

I'm glad you liked it Thor. It's just not for me and I admit I'm just very dubious of those who say they extract all sorts of quality and meaning out of it.

Serious question: how would you rate its intellectualism alongside 2001: A Space Odessey? Sorry for sounding like a portentous dick in advance.

Prometheus' "intellectualism" is hilarious. For example, I remember the scene where they find prehistoric art in Scotland dated back to the time where Scotland was under several kilometers of ice. You can't go around being all pretentious while throwing that kind of stuff at the audience. Add to that attitude the religious stuff and the incoherent narrative, designed like randomly throwing paint at a canvas to see what happens, and you get an unsufferable film.

Indeed. But give Thor a chance to elaborate, since he's convinced it goes beyond straight-to-video building site philosophies.

My beard is more pronounced and more red then yours, my shadowy reflection...

Dude your beard is fucking rancid! Shave it off you lazy bastard!

Don't you want to look distinguished (like Jason LeBlanc...) ;)

2001 is in a different league when it comes to that, of course. Second only to maybe Tarkovsky's SOLARIS as an example of how you can use the science fiction genre to distill thought-provoking themes through audiovisual means.

I have only had beards a few times in my life - usually I am completely clean-shaven. But I am currently rocking the biggest beard I've ever had. It started in November and I've only trimmed it 3-4 times in that duration. It's very long, thick, and dark

2001 is in a different league when it comes to that, of course. Second only to maybe Tarkovsky's SOLARIS as an example of how you can use the science fiction genre to distill thought-provoking themes through audiovisual means.

But that's the sort of league I'm alluding to when thinking of what makes for visually/thematically dense works of cinema. Are you saying that Prometheus is on a tier below? Because what's the point? Prometheus doesn't work as a chill out on-rails movie, or a late Friday night movie with a beer, but according to everything you've said it's far more significant than that anyway.

I have only had beards a few times in my life - usually I am completely clean-shaven. But I am currently rocking the biggest beard I've ever had. It started in November and I've only trimmed it 3-4 times in that duration. It's very long, thick, and dark

I never knew Grizzly Adams was an avid score collector :P

Lee - who settles for the half-arsed designer stubble look.

People at work have been calling my Grizzly Adams, I don't even get the reference. Must be some character from before I was born

But that's the sort of league I'm alluding to when thinking of what makes for visually/thematically dense works of cinema. Are you saying that Prometheus is on a tier below? Because what's the point? Prometheus doesn't work as a chill out on-rails movie, or a late Friday night movie with a beer, but according to everything you've said it's far more significant than that anyway.

It is.

It's difficult to make a 'ranking list' and sporting event of these things (which one is more intellectual than others etc.). PROMETHEUS isn't a sci fi masterpiece like ALIEN or 2001 or SOLARIS or CLOSE ENCOUNTERS or BLADE RUNNER or what-have-you, but it's one of the best science fiction films I've seen in maybe 20 years; a genre film that combines intellect with emotional immediacy and spectacle. I think that's a pretty amazing feat, considering I had gigantic expectations for it (20 years worth of expectations, actually!).

@Thor

Right, I see now. You're not actually saying it's masterful movie making anymore. Fair enough.

It's just because you sort of gave the impression you reckoned it was in the weeks afterwards, but I may have read you wrong.

Prometheus had initially such an effect on me that I was motivated to go back to my writing table to stablish that my sci-fi stories shared nothing with it at all. I dropped any pretense of passing as deep, randomly referential and overly serious in tone.

Lee - who settles for the half-arsed designer stubble look.

Not a goatee? (Or as the are called here, talking c*nt)

I would describe mine as...Aragornish...

A goatee is what Mark O has if memory serves, and Joey. I had one last year, before letting it go up by cheek bones as well. Looks better on me.

I would describe yours as Homlessish.

Well Joe and Mark look good with talking c*nts! (I could get in to so much trouble taking that analogy any further)

The difference between a beard that looks well kept and tidy and one that looks like it was born out of a "don't give a fuck about shaving" is a very narrow one.

So who advised you to go for a full beard Lee?

I would describe yours as Homlessish.

As far as I know, you have no way of knowing what my current beard looks like. Or one way, but that would mean a betrayal of trust....

Heh, I'm a bit in the lazy camp.

Living alone, its very easy now to simply not think about groom-age.

My nethers were like a ginger poodle up untill a few days ago, till i finally reached for a razor.

Ask Lee!

Well Joe and Mark look good with talking c*nts! (I could get in to so much trouble taking that analogy any further)

The difference between a beard that looks well kept and tidy and one that looks like it was born out of a "don't give a fuck about shaving" is a very narrow one.

So who advised you to go for a full beard Lee?

Me. Claire would prefer me clean shaven again, but I'm not a fan. Oh and someone else was very communicative about it when I threatened to shave it off. And it's not full, its just No.3 stubble.

I have photos of myself holding my baby child with the more fuller growth and I look like a scruffy bum.

Oh and someone else was very communicative about it when I threatened to shave it off. And it's not full, its just No.3 stubble..

I wanted to try a beard for years but encountered resistance.

When i became single I decided to try it to the delight and encouragement of...someone else.

Im feeling less of an individual now then just a few minutes ago.

I grew a beard 2 years ago at Christmas time but shaved it off a few months later.

I've had a goatee for around 16 years now. The Mrs. loved my beard and loves my goatee.