So Ridley Scott is directing a Prometheus sequel... (The official Alien: Covenant Thread)

crocodile

The action adds an extra layer of excitement yes but Aliens has a better cast of characters, there’s actually some humour in there, the score is better (yes, it is). There’s more depth to the story too and Riply actually feels like a human character.

Alien is basically a well made 1D cat and mouse movie 

WTF is going on with Scott? In the past week he’s said Alien should be as beloved as Star Wars and Star Trek, that’s he’s “too dangerous” to make a Star Wars movie, and taken credit for the 2049 script while complaining that the film is too long.

Chill, Ridley. Your legacy is secure. Stop embarrassing yourself.

1 hour ago, Bilbo said:

Well there’s an ignore function and you can put me on your ignore list and that’ll solve the problem for you. 

You also take yourself WAY to seriously. :)

We've been here before of course. Both are classics, but given the choice between the two I'd much rather watch Aliens again over Alien, I just find it a considerably more entertaining movie. Along with the Raiders movies, BTTF and Superman; Cameron's scary war movie in space is simply something I grew up with. That'll always be a powerful and indelible quality as far as I'm concerned. Dialogue I know word for word, a legendary motley crew made up from years worth of 'Nam characterisation clichés, absolutely thrilling action/suspense direction, Sigourney at her most iconic, James Horner's beast of an LSO score... nah, I'd never choose Alien over Aliens. I'm too biased.

No question Aliens is a better popcorn/sheer entertainment film.  Lots more action & more quotable lines. And there's no doubt the Cameron's is the "iconic" Ripley. I definitely preferred it when I was younger.

I just have better taste now!

Aliens is the perfect sequel...maybe the best sequel ever. The beauty of that film is that it existed in the world of its predecessor, and built on it...but at the same time was completely its own thing with its own tone and style.  Scott essentially made a horror/monster movie in space, and Cameron made the quintiseential sci-fi action flick. As such, I think while its fun to rank them, most of us recognise that they're both so pitch perfect, each on their own style, that such rankings are almost beside the point. I think the one thing most of us can agree on is that the first two are vastly superior to anything that came after.

It's REALLY hard to take existing material and make it completely its own thing while maintaining the quality, and Cameron pulled that off.  Now Ridley Scott just needs to make Titanics. 

• 3 years later...

Most of the points made here were repeated in AC:

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=92675&forumID=7&archive=0

Poor Thor.

The critic barely touched on what the STUPIDEST thing the crew did:

hunting the far more powerful alien by splitting up so it can pick them off , one by one. Obviously, this band of boobs never grasped the concept of " safety/strength in numbers".

As I've no doubt done previously in the thread, I refer to this article of mine. I've already run it through Google Translate for your convenience:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=https://montages.no/2017/05/hybrid-og-hybris-i-ridley-scotts-alien-covenant/

Thor, it's great you love these films.

But, the criticisms of the plots and the behavior of the characters are valid..

They don't bother you and that's cool - if perplexing.

On 12/28/2017 at 4:29 AM, His Royal Noelness said:

Aliens has a.. [better score] ....(yes, it is)....Screenshot_2021-05-05-21-36-07~6.png

• 2 weeks later...

Covenant wasn't great. Part of the terror of the Xenormorphs lies in their "otherness" and mystery. Once we start to know too much about them, some of that terror goes away. Star Trek ruined in the Borg that way.

We didn't need to know the Xeno's origin story (even if Covenant had told it effectively, which it didn't).

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I like PROMETHEUS, a lot, but I'm not too keen on COVENANT.

The other way around for me. While both are not good, I utterly hated Prometheus (now here's a movie that does everything wrong!) but I did kind of enjoy Covenant. Unlike Prometheus, it doesn't think all that highly of itself. It knows its pulp/camp.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Haven't seen 'em.

Why not?

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

The other way around for me. While both are not good, I utterly hated Prometheus (now here's a movie that does everything wrong!) but I did kind of enjoy Covenant. Unlike Prometheus, it doesn't think all that highly of itself. It knows its pulp/camp.

Why not?

No interest.

18 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

ALIEN...

...everything else.

Still don't understand how Alien and Prometheus are made by the same director. It's like Prometheus is almost the antithesis of Alien.

Yes, that's it, Richard. Alien feels like an artistic sci-fi horror movie that somehow became a commercial success, while Prometheus feels like it rolled off the conveyor belt from the Scott factories. There's plenty more where it came from.

You're right, Alex, but that, imo, doesn't necessarily make PROMETHEUS a bad film. I paid to see it, at the cinema (twice, and in 3D both times), and I double-dipped for DVD, and Blu.

I would certainly like to see the conclusion of the prequels. A de-aged crew of the Nostromo would be interesting.