Shirley Walker appreciation thread

Matt C

I know we have several Walker-themed threads on this board, but many of them pertain to the various CD releases LLL did for Batman: The Animated Series (I'm listening to V1 right now) and Mask of the Phantasm. I wanted to start a thread just devoted to her career in general.

It's a shame that all she's known for is the first three Final Destination films and her more noteworthy work on the WB animated series such as Batman Beyond, the aforementioned B:tAS, Superman: The Animated Series, and The New Batman Adventures.

Anyone have a personal favorite Walker score, or thoughts in general?

My favorite is the two LLL volumes of BTAS music (especially Vol 2) and Mask of the Phantasm, but The Flash is really fun too. I have heard great things about Space: Above and Beyond but have not yet had a chance to check it out

I was only aware of her through her association with Zimmer in the beginning. Only music I have is what she wrote with Zimmer for Chicago Joe And The Showgirl, and Mask Of The Phantasm (thanks to Trent).

I am interested in her music for the animated series but it's not really a priority at the moment.

I am interested in her music for the animated series but it's not really a priority at the moment.

You ought to check out her work for Batman and Superman. What she did with Mask of Phantasm is a larger-scale version of what she did on the B:tAS episodes... and just as good too.

My favorite is the two LLL volumes of BTAS music (especially Vol 2) and Mask of the Phantasm, but The Flash is really fun too. I have heard great things about Space: Above and Beyond but have not yet had a chance to check it out

I have the complete set of Space Above and Beyond and it's an addictive series with a bold and brass ending. The music is quite good. Her music enhances the story which is what a good score does.

Memoirs of an Invisible Man is rather good. Carpenter should have relied on her more often than... himself!

Yes this, a thousand times over! It's sad when I talk to people who are big fans of her, but when I mention this... "never heard it".

Memoirs of an Invisible Man is rather good. Carpenter should have relied on her more often than... himself!

Truer words were never spoken! I love this soundtrack!

Concerning her Final Destination scores, I'd love to see them released someday, they are very good and I'd very much like to add them to my collection!

Turbulence is quite a good score actually. I hope it gets an official release sometime soon. For me it confirms that she was just as good in action films as the likes of Goldsmith.

Karol

Indeed. I haven't gotten to see the film yet, though. Is there much music missing from the Varese?

Which Varese? None of her three Final Destination scores has ever been released! Or do you mean the Memoirs?

I haven't gone through and done timings, but having seen the film and heard the album a BAZILLION times, I estimate about 20 minutes.

Turbulence is quite a good score actually. I hope it gets an official release sometime soon. For me it confirms that she was just as good in action films as the likes of Goldsmith.

Intrada does have a thing going with MGM. Maybe they'll secure a limited CD release...

I like Turbulence. Her use of Christmas music is great too.

Batman: TAS is terrific. I just listened to Volume 2 and I think it is even better than the first.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but she scored a short film Prelude to Eden in 1995.

The director posted up audio clips about the rehearsal process, including the finished track. It's a fascinating process listening to how she works on the scoring stage.

Thanks for sharing that! Is there another copy of that interview you posted up there in 2013? The video has since been removed.

On 6/3/2020 at 9:57 AM, Skelly said:

Thanks for sharing that! Is there another copy of that interview you posted up there in 2013? The video has since been removed.