The Holy Grail and Knight Themes

Luke Skywalker

Since visiting some Locations from the film recently i listnened to the score a lot lately, and noticed that these two themes, being so well written by Williams in a christian/medieval flair, would have benefitted a lot if some renditions of their renditions had featured a male choir, sung in gregorian chant fashion.

It's a shame this score didnt feature a choir like the other two. Well yes there was the fake choir but...

what do you think?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion the plain song choir would not have been exactly right for the tone of either theme but I think some kind of choral accompaniment would have been quite potent combined with those melodies, especially the Grail theme.

I'd never thought of this. These themes sound very sober and spot on as they are.

Indeed. Williams succeeded to convey exactly the right mood and spirituality with both themes without the choir. Wrong Choice, Right Choice has the most goosebump inducing rendition of the Grail Theme even though it is done purely orchestrally. There is a wonderful glowing and luminous quality to the sound Williams conjures.

I disagree. It would have sounded too Catholic.

Williams used chorus in Raiders and Temple without it sounding Catholic? You doubt his ability to do the same in TLC?

Besides, what is a Catholic chorus but a combined group of voices singing or chanting Latin in a religious setting. The Grail was sought during the Crusades, before the Reformation broke the Church's solidarity. The music would be appropriate.

I have often felt the lack of chorus in TLC cheapens the score with respect to the other two. It's still great music and works onscreen and in the album, at least what we have, but still.

i didnt meant solo renditions, (it could have worked in donovan's house, though the actual music is excellent as it is) but choral accompainment of some renditions.

Maybe even mixed choir as suggested would have been cool.

Williams used chorus in Raiders and Temple without it sounding Catholic? You doubt his ability to do the same in TLC?

Besides, what is a Catholic chorus but a combined group of voices singing or chanting Latin in a religious setting. The Grail was sought during the Crusades, before the Reformation broke the Church's solidarity. The music would be appropriate.

I have often felt the lack of chorus in TLC cheapens the score with respect to the other two. It's still great music and works onscreen and in the album, at least what we have, but still.

Obviously you have trouble reading!

I dismissed Luke's suggestion of a male "gregorian" type choir for sounding to Catholic.

Better luck next time, sport!

Since visiting some Locations from the film recently i listnened to the score a lot lately, and noticed that these two themes, being so well written by Williams in a christian/medieval flair, would have benefitted a lot if some renditions of their renditions had featured a male choir, sung in gregorian chant fashion.

It's a shame this score didnt feature a choir like the other two. Well yes there was the fake choir but...

what do you think?

He chose... poorly.

I think the music is sweet, noble, mystical and biblical enough how it is.

I think that would be your id, not your ego.

But since I can't read, you may have actually typed in an order for flapjacks and bacon, and I just misread it.

Nevertheless these themes could never sound too catholic, they were meant to as much as the ark theme can sound 'Old testament/jewish.

I mean it fits/would have fitted 100% even if catholicism is not your cup of tea...

Also, you are in the wrong era. Gregorian chanting would not be right age wise for the grail

Oh the audience wouldn't know that! They sure don't complain about the "early Latin from 11th century" in TLC.

you mean the grail should have 33 a.C. sounding music?

Ok.

But the knight's music, being on the crusades, that could have gregorian (or whatever monk chant should be called if it's not in the correct medieval century...)

BTW even if the relic was created in the roman era, the film revolves about the passage of that relic within the middle ages so anything regarding christianity in that era is completely perfect for the film.

kotcs doesnt need a choir...

It could have featured more theremin, or whatever the creepy instrument for skull was called.

The Continuum fingerboard was featured quite a bit in the score but I am glad it wasn't utilized too heavy handedly.

Idiot!

KOTCS has choir!

I liked most of the synth work in KOTCS

Yes the choir is there but it is used in 2 or 3 cues. In somewhat similar manner as in Raiders, only when truly needed for extra effect, underscoring the otherwordly and alien but overall less powerful than in Raiders.

kotcs doesnt need a choir...

It could have featured more theremin, or whatever the creepy instrument for skull was called.

The Continuum fingerboard was featured quite a bit in the score but I am glad it wasn't utilized too heavy handedly.

I think one or two skull renditions needed a little more of it, but yet overusing it would have been bad.

Why? If you are gonna use a sci-fi cliche instument, use it properly!

I think the allusion to the sci-fi sounds of the 1950's movies was well balanced in KotCS, not too little and not too much, a hint of familiarity tastefully done.

It was too little. I was actually looking forward to John Williams using a theremin-like sound. but he used it so boringly.

Obviously you like theremin more than I do.

So? I prefer eating chewing gum to treading in a dog turd! What's your point!

You ever take your shoes and socks off and make fists with your toes? You haven't stepped in a dog turd until you've stepped in it barefoot.

It was too little. I was actually looking forward to John Williams using a theremin-like sound. but he used it so boringly.

Obviously you like theremin more than I do.

I love theremins.

Cosman probably had in mind something like the breathtaking beginning of this OST track from Marco Beltrami's Hellboy for KOTCS.

[media=]

i didnt meant solo renditions, (it could have worked in donovan's house, though the actual music is excellent as it is) but choral accompainment of some renditions.

Maybe even mixed choir as suggested would have been cool.

Neither would have been Gregorian.

who knows what ended on the cutting room floor...