string orch. size

Swordfish392

In many scores there aren't any suggestions for the string line up at all, why is that? (maybe because they are using "16, 14, 12, 10, 8" normaly??? is this something like the standard instrumentation for big symphonic film music orchestra strings??)

Also why do some orchestrators write down the string line up and others don't?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thin it all depends on the film's budget.

James Campbell wrote it down in Back to the Future:

14 Violins I

14 Violins II

12 Violas

10 Celli

8 Bassi

I thin it all depends on the film's budget.

Well this is certainly true about low budget films/videogame/tv soundtracks (musicals also, where they are usualy using loads of synth string layers), but i was more referring to hollywood scores where they probably don't give a shit about a few strings more or less (of course I'm aware that there are hollywood movies as well with small string orchestras,totaly depends on the piece of course)

I'm just still wondering why they don't write down the string instrumentation in so many scores....

It depends on the type of score. For an intimate score, a smaller orchestra is needed, and the string section is scaled down accordingly. Standard full symphonic orchestra typically has

16.14.12.10.8 or 18.16.14.12.10. Some scores cannot be played with less, because of the number of divided parts (e.g. as does Richard Strauss).

And of course, tons of film scores now have a small string section recording two parts and overlaying them on each other, makes the sections sound even bigger.

In many scores there aren't any suggestions for the string line up at all, why is that? (maybe because they are using "16, 14, 12, 10, 8" normaly??? is this something like the standard instrumentation for big symphonic film music orchestra strings??)

Also why do some orchestrators write down the string line up and others don't?

That isn't just a convention for film - check out any score by Brahms or Beethoven and you'll see the same thing. When composers do specify the number of string players, it is frequently ignored for other factors such as the size/characteristics of the hall (some halls absorb the sound/some reflect it, etc.), volume of the ensemble (some orchestras are naturally louder than others), etc. Who would notice if a Shostakovich symphony wasn't played with the specified 16-14-12-10-8 but instead was played with 14-12-10-8-6? Orchestrators understand the variation in the number of string players won't affect volume in the strings but rather the lushness and switching from 4 trumpets to 6 trumpets would instead have a huge impact on volume, for instance. What is more important is that the forces are balanced and this is a much more complex topic - for example, as the violin gets higher, it gets thinner so you generally need more players on high registers to have the same result as the lower places. This is an orchestration issue more than a composition issue. Think of the string instrument more as a ratio than as specific numbers whereas if you lose flute 1, an entire undoubled part is likely missing (for instance). String players will argue that even the last stand violins is critical, but in reality, the impact would be greater felt if you replaced violin number 14 to used that budget on trumpet 4 instead.

Thank you karelm for the advice, realy helpful!

Any idea on which size the string orchestra in this song has: (maybe something like 8.6.0.4.3 OR 8.6.6.4.3??? not too sure if the violas are realy in there or not)

[media=]

• 3 months later...

I counted like 12 strings or something.

Just wondering, how can these few strings sound that lush? (listen especialy to the melody line around 1 minute...)

What do you think??? Is the string section supported by a keyboard with synth strings, or is there maybe even a pre-recorded track which plays along?

• 3 weeks later...

16-14-10-8-6 Pretty Common starting point, I've heard 40 violins at Sony from the podium and thats about as big as it gets.

Karlem I have that exact thing (JW Star Wars) on my wall - how did u get that?