The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Kendal_Ozzel

Dave has good tastes then!

I dunno, they probably watch The Mentalist together

We Do! The Mentalist, Elementary, CSI Las Vegas, Criminal Minds, 2 Broke Girls, Big Bang Theory, Moms, Survivor, The Amazing Race, and Hawaii 5-0. I thought we watched more CBS. Oh well. ABC we watch the Goldbergs and S.H.I.E.L.D., NBC, nothing, Fox just Sleepy Hollow and CW the Flash.

I watch a ton of basketball this time of year at the expense of any show.

Remember I'm over 50 and it's the Law.

Yea - I actually like all 3 of the LOST-influenced dramas that premiered the fall season after LOST's first season - CBS's Threshhold (love that Carla Gugino!), ABC's Invasion, and NBC's Surface (love that Lake Bell!). Shame they all only got one season

Elfman's no lightweight composer, there's no way they'd just call him to do additional music; you can get anyone else for that same thing much cheaper. Maybe it's something ala Army of Darkness, composing an important theme but not the actual score.

Maybe Brian Tyler was too busy working on Furious 7 so Danny Elfman had to compose some new cues to fit re-editing of the film.

Tyler's score was recorded starting January 18 in at Abbey Road with the London Philharmonic.

What I find really puzzling is:

1) Why is Elfman even taking an additional music gig in the first place?

2) How the hell is it supposed to mesh with Brian Tyler's score?

Karol

Maybe Elfman recently got hired to score Civil War or Doctor Strange, and the filmmakers wanted to introduce thematic material for one of those in this film.

Or maybe it's a Spider-man thing.

Or maybe Whedon's just a big fan

Maybe Brian Tyler was too busy working on Furious 7 so Danny Elfman had to compose some new cues to fit re-editing of the film.

Tyler's score was recorded starting January 18 in at Abbey Road with the London Philharmonic.

Furious 7 was in the can last fall, I don't think that's the project that conflicted with Avengers 2.

You're right. The recording sessions started Dec 31, then Avengers 2's started Jan 18.

I can't imagine he'd let Sleepy Hollow get in the way of doing anything for Marvel.

What is he working on, then?

Koray, Elfman usually isn't a fill-in-the-gaps composer like Debney and Christopher Young. You hire him to write a theme or score your whole film, not bits and pieces.

Apparently Elfman made an exception this time.

Koray, Elfman usually isn't a fill-in-the-gaps composer like Debney and Christopher Young. You hire him to write a theme or score your whole film, not bits and pieces.

Apparently Elfman made an exception this time.

Exactly, and with presumable time constraints, Elfman didn't have a chance to rewrite the entire score.

Time constraints? There's still 9 weeks to go until the film comes out. Plenty of time to write a complete score.

Nah, Elfman must've been hired for very specific reasons / scenes / themes, not because Whedon or Marvel didn't like what Tyler did. Sleepy Hollow just aired its season finale and Furious 7 is in the can; Tyler would be available right now to rework his own score.

It could be a Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor situation where Tyler moved to work on something else and wasn't available to rescore certain scenes.

Posters on other forums are kinda jumping to conclusions that Elfman is using his Spider-Man or Hulk themes (really?). Or that Whedon had nice things to say about Spider-Man 3...

Which is why Christopher Young has scored so many movies with very memorable themes while Danny Elfman barely has any.

Elfman is just luckier.

So it takes luck to throw a bunch of notes at the staff and hope the good ones stick? Like darts? Good to know, I've got a dart board in the cellar, I'm gonna take up composing.

That's less luck and more effort though. I get the impression that Young is just a more uncompromising composer, and he doesn't seek out or lunge at every opportunity. Seems content to do just his thing.

What I find really puzzling is:

1) Why is Elfman even taking an additional music gig in the first place?

Money, presumably. I can't imagine him being lured in by the promise of a poster credit alone.

Disney unveiled the terrible one-sheet artwork.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=38060&disp=ilib&oty=1&oid=59571

Interesting how the crew legend says "Additional Music By Danny Elfman". Elfman wouldn't get billed on the main credits if they tracked in some of his music, would he?

Did not see that coming. Wonder if he’ll be involved in anymore upcoming MCU movies? Anyways it's pretty cool to have the king of superhero scores assist the MCU music department's golden boy on this project. Now if only Marvel could hire John Williams to compose the themes or scores to Avengers: Infinity Wars Part I and II and we’ll be set.