The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Kendal_Ozzel

• 4 weeks later...

This is where my European comic book sensibilities (Tintin, Asterix and Obelix, Suske and Wiske) really don't help.

Haven't got the foggiest on most of them superhero thingamajigs.

Robert Downey Jr's contract with Marvel ends with Iron Man 3; If he doesn't sign up for Avengers 2, would they use Cheadle's War Machine instead?

http://comicbook.com/blog/2013/04/22/avengers-2-could-include-war-machine/

At the end of Iron Man 3 it says "Tony Stark will return".

The people at Marvel have said that they no problem with recasting and that it's only expected to happen in such a multifranchise.

Not sure how you recast Downey Jr though... He's kind of essential to their success, methinks. He's probably one of the main reasons why many people even bothered with watching Avengers film.

Karol

Maybe they'll bring him back for the second Avengers and then abandon the character for a while and make other things like Ant-Man or a Hulk film different to what we've already seen or whatever.

I am sure they will give FDJ a boatload of money to return for Avengers 2, no question. Whether or not he's still around after that is the question, I think. Avengers 3 won't be out till what, 2018 or 2019? Who knows what the popularity of Iron Man and/or RDJ will be then. Maybe one of the Phase 2 main characters will be the new "it" guy.

I am sure they will give FDJ a boatload of money to return for Avengers 2, no question. Whether or not he's still around after that is the question, I think. Avengers 3 won't be out till what, 2018 or 2019? Who knows what the popularity of Iron Man and/or RDJ will be then. Maybe one of the Phase 2 main characters will be the new "it" guy.

That leaves Captain American, Thor, and the Guardians of the Galaxy.

The last one has the smiling villain at the end of The Avengers and a space raccoon who shoots unfeasibly large cannons and fights the blue dude inside a giant robot. So that might be "it".

So that dude showing up in the end credits of The Avengers was a setup for Guardians of the Galaxy, not a setup for The Avengers 2?

We don't know about Avengers yet. He might carry over to the Avengers, or might carry over to the third Avengers instead.

The only thing Whedon has said about the second Avengers is that they'd be facing "themselves" and that it'd be smaller and more personal. Which might contradict the cosmic Thanos stuff.

Not sure how you recast Downey Jr though... He's kind of essential to their success, methinks. He's probably one of the main reasons why many people even bothered with watching Avengers film.

Karol

The problem isn't if RDJ will return for Avengers 2, but how much he'll get for it. He's said in an interview with Box Office Pro that "there's still stuff with my character we gotta address" when doing an Iron Man 3 interview. Which means he's probably open to doing 1-2 more Marvel films.

He can definitely leverage a Johnny Depp-sized paycheck... like $50 million dollars

Karol

He can definitely leverage a Johnny Depp-sized paycheck... like $50 million dollars

Didn't he already get that? I thought he did.

Karol

Yeah, thanks to the ridiculous box office that's what he made. The problem is that they all are going to want a larger paycheck, so while Avengers 2 is probably not going to be a problem, any future team ups will depend if RDJ is willing to work for less to accommodate the budget or is just after the money.

Yeah, thanks to the ridiculous box office that's what he made. The problem is that they all are going to want a larger paycheck, so while Avengers 2 is probably not going to be a problem, any future team ups will depend if RDJ is willing to work for less to accommodate the budget or is just after the money.

The thing is, RDJ was only contracted for four Marvel movies at the start. Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, et al have been contracted for 6-9 movies apiece. So they have some leverage but not as much as RDJ does at the moment, who's a free man at this point.

And with his worldwide popularity, he can negotiate a bigger payday than Depp did for Pirates of the Caribbean 4. Depp got $55 million (upfront), I'm sure RDJ can get $5-10M more than him. I think Marvel Studios will negotiate an upfront payment so they won't have to shell out even more once the box office receipts start piling up.

• 1 month later...

After weeks of speculation as to whether or not he would return, Robert Downey Jr. has officially signed on to star in Disney and Marvel’s next two “Avengers” films.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/robert-downey-jr-signs-on-for-avengers-2-and-avengers-3-1200500128/

Not surprising. Marvel needs him on board for those films be really be big. I can imagine them recasting Thor or Captain America if one of the actors become unavailable, or Hulk (again) but RDJ pretty much owns the role of Tony Stark. Without him Marvel would have have the success is now has in the movies.

Well, in Iron Man 3 he's as full of himself as ever in the first act, but then he's on the own without his toys for most of the rest of the movie and has to fend for himself so is in more of an on the run for his life mode than cocky billionaire mode.

• 1 month later...
The new films title is:

Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Karol

The Age of Voltron? Who'd form the head?

Sent from Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

What I don't get is, the end credits of the first movie showed Thanos, indicating he'd be the villain in the sequel. Why are they having a different villain instead now?

Thanos is one of the big bads in the entire Marvel Universe. He'll be in The Guardians of the Galaxy Movie, and likely finally make his way to Earth for Avengers 3.

He won't be in Guardians of the Galaxy himself, but they'll talk about him and one of the heroes is his adoptive daughter.

His storyline will appear around phase 3 or 4 I guess. Although I only have a rough idea of what his storylines are about so fuck knows.

• 2 months later...

We're still short too many infinity stones. I imagine the remaining infinity stones will act as maguffins for several of the remaining phase 2 and 3 films with the Gauntlet itself being the focus of Avengers 3.