The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Kendal_Ozzel

Unfortunately I think that's a weak argument too. Vertical space isn't the issue in the cinema because a 1.85:1 film is the same height as a 2.35:1 in that setting. However it makes more sense if you're referring to how these formats are presented on a 16:9 TV, where a 1.85 film is taller than a 2.35 film. But I think in this case, it's just Whedon's personal preference. And it looks good because Whedon composed and tailored the shots for that frame.

I saw that 21:9 TV press release. The issue there is that with present 2.35 content in 16:9 encoded videos, you would have to zoom into that image to make it fit the entire frame. Therefore you would suffer a loss in video quality. The only way to solve this would be to change the video spec on the disc from 16:9 to 21:9 for 2.35 films to fill the entire frame at full quality. Would we ever see 2.35 films re-encoded this way on disc or some other format? I'd have to rebuy half of my collection again!

It's not about the size of the cinema screen, it's about how you're able to fill the aspect ratio.

As for the 21:9 tv, Philips tried to launch one a few years back. I doubt many were sold. Once you get down to it, it really is a rather pointless device. There's far more entertainment being made in 16:9.

The plot thickens:

I would love to see Brian get the gig, but I was told not too long ago Silvestri was returning.
Guess we will just have to wait and see
MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=100844&forumID=1

• 3 weeks later...

What can fans expect in The Avengers 2?

Scarlett Johansson: “Oh boy! Well, we can expect the Avengers. Joss [Whedon], again, is back, wrote the script, and is directing. I think the script is dark and it’s dry, it’s got this amazing one-liner, glass-cutting sense of humor. Obviously the script is very cerebral. It doesn’t lose that exciting comic book aspect that people enjoyed in the first film, but it’s smart and it feels like the next installment. It doesn’t feel like a rehashing, it feels like these characters are moving forward, plotlines are moving forward. It’s deep and I think that’s why people really respond to the Marvel universe, because the films are fun and exciting and have all that flashy stuff, but there’s a gravity to them. People can expect that gravity this time around.”

Alex (your reporter from Hollywood).

She could have said: "It's got a lot of action. People can leave their brains at home. Oh, and I have a sexy scene with the Hulk. It's going to disturb the more sensitive viewer."

Remember what Anthony Hopkins said about Thor 2? "I don't understand the film. I'm in it but I don't understand it."

Dark and gritty must be the two most overused words in recent history. Together with "realistic" and "immersive".

Yeah what happened to "whimsical", "dramatic", "escapist" and "imaginative"? Isn't that what attracts people to movies?

Let me venture a bit of a guess/explanation/bullshit here.

In previous decades, those were all desirable elements in cinema, reflecting the general attitudes and world-views of most people. Now I'm not falling prey to the romantic and stupid notion that the past was much "better" or "happier", but it felt different, and we felt different living in it. There was far more gung-ho, can-do, feel-good in the air. Films of 80's/90's Spielberg, for example, were a reflection of that.

The world feels different now. Things genuinely are more grim than they have been over the past 20 years or so. People don't want sugar coated whimsy or escapism, or not as much anyway. They want cinema that reflects harsh reality, and then offers whatever hope it can in that context. People don't want to escape, they don't want to smile in the theater and then walk out into the world and remember it was just fantasy. They want to see this world (or something as close to it as possible with superheroes involved) with the kind of hope and positivity that we can actually expect from this world.

Does that make any kind of sense?

Guardians Of The Galaxy will set things right! It will have a whimsical atmosphere, it will be colorful, it will be full of escapism! All we have to do is believe!

I'm afraid I don't follow the discussion on this film, but why all the faith? Isn't it just kind of like The Avengers 2.0?

They want cinema that reflects harsh reality, and then offers whatever hope it can in that context.

Not meaning to ignore the context of the rest of your response, which was well thought out. But this mentality intrigues me because I see little point in watching a stream of movies that reflect "harsh reality" when I and most people can experience harsh reality in the actual real world anyway.

Do people these days have a problem suspending their disbelief?

They want cinema that reflects harsh reality, and then offers whatever hope it can in that context.

Not meaning to ignore the context of the rest of your response, which was well thought out. But this mentality intrigues me because I see little point in watching a stream of movies that reflect "harsh reality" when I and most people can experience harsh reality in the actual real world anyway.

Do people these days have a problem suspending their disbelief?

+1

Well, the thing is, if you ignore the context then it doesn't make much sense. Like I said, there's still room and demand for the "older" style, for escapism. I'm just venturing a guess at why, at least personally, tastes have changed in a general sense.

These depictions of harsh reality are not without their catharsis, and it seems to me that people prefer that kind of emotional release, the kind they can actually experience in their own lives, than anything more lofty. I can perfectly well suspend my disbelief in a film that calls for that. I just don't want to have to do that as much anymore. I want to truly be able to take something out of the theater into my actual life.

Let me further push my luck by offering an example. I find Nolan's Batman films far more comforting, encouraging, hopeful, and stirring, than Donner's Superman. Yes, the latter offers similar ideas, themes. But the presentation is high-flying and it's just not something I can connect to or identify with anymore, if I ever could.

It's easy to deride the "gritty, dark, realistic" trend as bleak trash, but I think if it's done right, it's not at all bleak, and far from trash. It's valuable cinema, doing what cinema is meant to do: show us something about our lives, our problems, and our hopes.

:peepwall:

I have faith in Zach Snyder!

Who is he?

I agree with Costa Gravras.

"If Americans are so free, why do you love escapist entertainment? What are you escaping from?"

Interesting quote. Good question.

Who's "any of you"? Those who are not American?

No, just anyone who already has an opinion on why Americans love escapism. Seems like a can of worms I'd rather not open if folks have their minds made up already.

I'm all for the application of verisimilitude in cinema. It helps give any film in any genre or style a ground to stand on. As a result, it hopefully prevents a film from descending into farce when it's unintended or inappropriate.

But these days you'd think people are demanding more movies to be shot with a consumer grade hand held video camera to achieve a level of "realism" that they believe they can better imagine themselves acting as participants. And lo-and-behold, many horror movies today are shot this way. I know this began with The Blair Witch Project in 1999 and was experimented with in that 1997 Alien Invasion tele movie, but it's really become more of a trend since 9/11. Go back to that material edited together and you'd be forgiven for thinking it's a modern, "found footage" horror film if you somehow weren't aware that it was a real event.

Ok.

Average American life is largely vacuous and mediocre. It's not a matter of freedom or lack thereof, but of vision and a definite lack thereof. John Q. Public views cinema as nothing more than an escape from a life that in all likelihood can't be anything more than merely functional. So the appeal of that escapism is massive.

The problem I have with that Gavras quote is that he pretends all of that is only true of America.