What is the most astoundingly dull moment of JW writing ever?

There's a half hour of music before The Jungle Chase that is low long, boring noise.

It doesn't improve much when the chase finally kicks in, either.

Battle of the Heroes, off the top of my head.

There's a half hour of music before The Jungle Chase that is low long, boring noise.

It doesn't improve much when the chase finally kicks in, either.

Battle of the Heroes, off the top of my head.

How could I forget remember?

Hook,

Hook was incredibly amazing and boring at the same time. A wonderful set of melodies, many poor and lacking developments. I think the movie could have really used the music and the music be more thematic and refined.

I love the Hook score. It's smaltzy to me nowadays, but damn is it unabashedly adventurous and magical. And that's without mentioning the sumptuous orchestration. I cringe a lot throughout it it, but quite happily.

One of the dullest cues I've ever heard from Williams has to be The Greenhouse Effect. Absolutely nothing happens in that cue that I find remotely stimulating.

And I've got 1408 playing right now. I'd love to hear Yared's take on that score.

But in terms of sheer scale, nearly everything between the nuclear cloud and the Jungle Chase in KotCS.

It'sbig action cue setpiece is the best of the series in my very humble screwed opinion.

I'm glad somebody agrees! Even the more moody parts of KOTCS I find engaging, though never among Williams better work.

One of the dullest cues I've ever heard from Williams has to be The Greenhouse Effect. Absolutely nothing happens in that cue that I find remotely stimulating.

I disagree, this is awesomely eerie JW music. It's exactly the type of thing he ripped off from himself and totally botched when composing KOTCS, you know? There's that neat kinda pressing ostinato, right? With appearance by harp and that menacing sort of vocal effect he also used in the library scene in Harry Potter, plus the other synth. Come to think of it, this is some of JW's best underscoring of the 2000s. You are very wrong!

Nothing in KOTCS is on the level of any of the original Indy scores.

I disagree, this is awesomely eerie JW music. It's exactly the type of thing he ripped off from himself and totally botched when composing KOTCS, you know? There's that neat kinda pressing ostinato, right? With appearance by harp and that menacing sort of vocal effect he also used in the library scene in Harry Potter, plus the other synth. Come to think of it, this is some of JW's best underscoring of the 2000s. You are very wrong.

I too love the "pressing string ostinato " it is awesome and certainly not boring

Wrong thread. This isn't 'the most astoundingly magical moments' thread.

Or for the first time I have to disagree with KM about JW's music.

It's pure magic from start to finish. But it's not 'every-day' stuff, it needs a a certain mood.

I think KotCS' action music is better than ToD's action music. Overall though ToD is the better score.

you're so funny

KOTCS haters,

BAD FORM!

Seriously guys, seriously. :pukeface:

Yes indeed man!

If you love it so much why don't you marry it!

:D

I disagree, this is awesomely eerie JW music. It's exactly the type of thing he ripped off from himself and totally botched when composing KOTCS, you know? There's that neat kinda pressing ostinato, right? With appearance by harp and that menacing sort of vocal effect he also used in the library scene in Harry Potter, plus the other synth. Come to think of it, this is some of JW's best underscoring of the 2000s. You are very wrong!

My favourite cue from MR without a doubt ........but Rich has got terrible taste in general, so that makes sense.

Nothing happens? Dear, oh dear ......

Well, in your own words ....

You are very wrong!

My favourite cue from MR without a doubt ........but Rich has got terrible taste in general, so that makes sense.

Well several other 'dull' moments I could mention would certainly provoke worse comments than that... but thank you for that compelling argument anyway :)

Anything before the Reivers. He was still learning his craft back then.

It's just so many levels below what came afterwards. So it doesnt appear to be that interesting to me from a listening point of view.

KOTCS haters,

BAD FORM!

Seriously guys, seriously. pukeface.gif

Yes indeed man!

If you love it so much why don't you marry it!

colgate.gif

Well, in your own words ....

You are very wrong!

Well, there is the stuff he snatched from Raiders.That at least would be on par with, you know, Raiders.

Josh Groban/Lara Fabian song from A.I. Can't stand this. Williams gave Horner a run for his money on this one. And, worse yet, it appears twice on the album.

Karol

Actually, the parts of KOTCS quoted from the other scores were lazily performed. Easiest comparison is Flight From Peru vs. old Indy escaping in the warehouse. One is one of JW's all-time greatest cues, the other is basically forgettable. The hell happened?

I don't think I've ever listened to For Always all the way through.

I don't know if id go as far as saying lazily performed, but it definitely doesn't have the energy that raiders did for that music. I just always wonder why lift stuff directly when something new could have been written...

Because John couldn't be bothered (lack of inspiration) and Spielberg gave him a break. He understood.

Actually, the parts of KOTCS quoted from the other scores were lazily performed.

Agreed. There is no panache and attack in the performance or recording whatsoever. It's like a John Debny comedy score recording - excitingly dull and workmanlike, ie serviceable.

Come to think of it, this actually could be my "dullest" JW score EVER. I mean, I hate Spielberg's War of the Worlds with a passion, but at least you can listen to its music and tell beyond a shadow of a doubt that Williams went at it with complete conviction and a certain bravado. Indy 4 on the other hand had "phoned in" all over it, moreso even than his admittedly authentic Revenge of the Sith.