Tanglewood live 8-18

Tom

the third movement of the oboe concerto on now--excellent stuff.

I realize that I am writing to myself, so this will be the last. They are now doing the fifth movment of the horn concerto (awesome), and then the last movement of the tuba concerto. what a fanastic lineup.

I was there. We knew Lockhart and Slatkin were to have the primary role, but thought JW might have conducted one or two encores. It turns out there were none (unless you count a James Taylor song before the Happy Birthday Variations listed in the program.

Obama and Clinton were pre-recorded. Very nice words from both, mainly Clinton.

The most amusing tribute must have been the opening one by Brian Williams.

The James Taylor song was the same he did a couple of years ago on Tanglewood on Parade, when they celebrated the 30th anniversary of Williams with the orchestra. It didn't fit the program then, and it fits even less now.

Sorry I did not post a link. For future reference, most Tanglewood concerts and regular BSO concerts are streamed live or aired a few days after at http://www.wgbh.org/995/bso.cfm. I have not checked, but I would not be surprised if they link this concert broadcast for subsequent listening.

I'm sure it was a nice concert and I did want to go prior to tickets selling out. However, Williams himself did not conduct anything. I understand it was a special occasion, but it still feels kind of awful, doesn't it? Him sitting there while others conduct his work? I can't help but be disappointed that there was no genuine Film Night at Tanglewood this year.

Well, I hope someone recorded the stream. I really want to hear the Oboe concerto in better sound (the orchestra version)

So would I but for the record the oboe and piano reduction is wonderful creation of its own right, where the solo instrument really gets to shine. :)

Here's an article about the event:

http://www.berkshire...0|cat:0|order:6

The one from the New York Times is lovely... not!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/20/arts/music/john-williams-birthday-concert-at-tanglewood.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

I wonder if at least the critic could come up with some new ways to trash Williams work, because this are always the same...

Also, if Williams is such a poor contribution to the art of music making, I wonder why this idiots who write reviews even bother to attend the concerts... Oh wait, I know, they are just jealous idiots!

It is the same begrudging acknowledgement the critics have given Williams for ages, meaning that popular and loved by countless people is obviously chaff for the mindless masses while critic elite yearns for something more and obviously better. But let them have their one performance concert works.

I was truly moved by the warmth and appreciation on display at Tanglewood for the Maestro present in some of the articles and in the video on the JWFan main page. :)

And used on film... the way I read it, he seems to think that away from the images, this pieces won't work as fine.

Oh yeah and as I said he's definitely uninformed and, IMO, plain wrong. But at least it wasn't 100% criticism.

Anyways just watched the video on the main page...that is so awesome to hear Obama talking about JW like that!

The three pieces he makes reference to were never supposed to be accompanied by a film montage. They were concert arrangements.

Based on this critic's logic Stravinsky's works should never get performed in a concert setting as the music is always meant to accompany choreographed ballet dancers.

It think the comparison between Home Alone and HP demonstrates a very superficial understanding of music. I mean, yes there are similarities between the two works (as there are between pretty much any two JW works--it's called style), but the specific mentioning of Hedwig's Theme and Home Alone sounds suspiciously like the reviewer heard a celeste and passed judgment.

Regarding the Tanglewood on parade concert on the main page, what do you guys think of the concert arrangemnt of the Sea Battle from Tintin? It is played a bit slow, but there are some nice unexpected flute passages and I thought the ending was nice.

The Sea Battle sounded quite good! There were some mistakes by the solo horn near the beggining and in a moment the orchestra seems to have lost the tempo, but all in all I was pleasently surprised.

The opening included some stuff from The Secret of the Scrolls and it had a great closing. Sounded better than The Duel, actually! And some of the re-orchestrations sounded fantastic, especially that new celesta stuff... Also, to hear a more acoustic version of it was quite nice too.

Someone upload it to YouTube! :D

Thanks for the heads up about the Tintin material. I really like the new arrangement. There are a lot of reasons of love it - trombones are way better, especially during those glisses. The strings were really sloppy. I don't know what Williams was doing with the tempo, it started out really slow (I assume because the BSO couldn't play it fast enough on a first read) and it would speed up randomly, especially during the brass variatons of the Unicorn's theme. Weird.

Also it looks as though Williams added a boom-tzzz to "The Adventure Continues."

Great concert but Spielberg annoys me..... "our nations greatest composer"?? He is so over the top and no doubt Williams feels uncomfortable with that title. When you pay tribute to someone why can't he be be more diplomatic. Maybe it's just the British in me coming out but it just feels very tacky and cliche..... Obamas speech was great, not gushy.....

I'm just glad he didn't quote that Schindlers list better composer than I am joke.....No disrespect for JW or Spielberg but Zimmer is a better communicator (Verbally i mean!)

my 2c.

I personally agree with Spielberg...although I also think JW is the greatest artist in the history of earth, period.

But I don't see any problem with Spielberg saying something like that. And at the risk of sounding uninformed, are there that many famous American composers? Aaron Copland, Leonard Bernstein, George Gershwin, John Philip Sousa, Philip Glass, and Samuel Barber are the only other giants that come to mind (plus all the film composers, but I don't think anybody would be annoyed by a statement claiming JW is the best American film composer).

I personally agree with Spielberg...although I also think JW is the greatest artist in the history of earth, period.

But I don't see any problem with Spielberg saying something like that. And at the risk of sounding uninformed, are there that many famous American composers? Aaron Copland, Leonard Bernstein, George Gershwin, John Philip Sousa, Philip Glass, and Samuel Barber are the only other giants that come to mind (plus all the film composers, but I don't think anybody would be annoyed by a statement claiming JW is the best American film composer).

John Adams... who is said to be the most often performed american living composer today... (I know I read that somewhere, just don't recall where)

And while I kind of agree with Spielberg on the assumption we have similar taste, there comes a point where one should't say things like that, but rather, one of the finest. Not be so over the top, as mentioned above. Williams belongs to that group of living composers that will be remembered long after they die, a group on where I can't say who's the best, where I just can say who's my favorite.

In the related interview here (from the main page) http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/818b1784-e732-11e1-8a74-00144feab49a.html#axzz23vG8e6Rd

there is some interesting infor about williams, different from the usual things he says (or is asked about).

Very nice to read. I love his quotation of his wife hehe

I watched the clips and stuff on the main page. Looked like a fascinating event and I liked Obama's message. I'd like to see the whole recording of this.

John Adams... who is said to be the most often performed american living composer today... (I know I read that somewhere, just don't recall where)

And while I kind of agree with Spielberg on the assumption we have similar taste, there comes a point where one should't say things like that, but rather, one of the finest. Not be so over the top, as mentioned above. Williams belongs to that group of living composers that will be remembered long after they die, a group on where I can't say who's the best, where I just can say who's my favorite.

Well put. That is absolutely correct. The truth is there are many "famous" American composers whose work is played all around the world - Bernstein Copland Gershwin Sousa.

John Williams is up there but hell, what about Jerry Goldsmith, Alan Menken, Elmer Bernstein, Herrmann, Morricone etc etc then you can go all the way back to Korngold Steiner etc.

If you think JW is the best you are seriously deluded. However he is one of the greatest composers for film America has produced.

If you think JW is the best you are seriously deluded. However he is one of the greatest composers for film America has produced.

If a person thinks JW is the best he or she are certainly entitled to their opinion, but just as long as they mention every other American composer as Williams' equal even though they might not feel so just to be safe and bland and equal in their opinions? Because this is just what it is, an opinion. Once again I would love to see the scale against which we can measure all these composers and determine their precise greatness, in an unbiased accurate scientifically quantifiable way, which would settle these disputes forever.

It is true that some people become larger than life personalities in the history of art or the world itself, undisputedly made famous or popular by their works and personas and are added to the official canons of our culture. But this does not say that every person around the world would always measure everything they like or experience in arts against the canon or some historical backdrop of the evolution of that art and sound or how influential or significant this composer or singer or painter has been in grander scheme of things. If you consider someone's album or music or even body of work the best, then I am completely happy to say, you are entitled to do so. I do not think it takes away from anything or diminishes the art nor other composers in anyway, it is just an opinion of one man. Yes it may be short sighted, yes it may be rash and yes it may be impulsive and does not consider the whole or put this person or work in perspective but it is just as valid as any other opinion.

In Williams' case his influence on so many levels is undeniable, his shadow looming large, as he has become through his works and public persona a certain kind of embodiment of film music of America and in general to larger audiences. His financial (critics would gnash their teeth at this point as art should be struggling at the edge of penury or high art done under prestigious clout of high profile commissions and art grants) success is also undeniable, his music connected with top grossing movie franchises. His artistic success, in the form of collaborations with most major orchestras in the US and with many abroad and his relationships with artists of every type also denotes a certain influence and skill and appreciation of his craft and person. His influence on film music and inspiration he has given to a whole host of younger colleagues and musicians is obvious and significant. The integration of his music into the everyday life of American people in the form of music for national celebrations, Olympics and even nightly news certainly continuing strong and his scores many times instill almost patriotic pride in US. The public recognition of Williams music throughout the world and the frequency with which it is performed (both film and concert works) also speak for his significance and universal recognition. I wouldn't for one second think it odd if someone thinks him to be the best American composer. Is this an universal truth is another matter.

If a person thinks JW is the best he or she are certainly entitled to their opinion, but just as long as they mention every other American composer as Williams' equal even though they might not feel so just to be safe and bland and equal in their opinions? Because this is just what it is, an opinion. Once again I would love to see the scale against which we can measure all these composers and determine their precise greatness, in an unbiased accurate scientifically quantifiable way, which would settle these disputes forever.

While I fully understand your points, one thing is opinion, another is fact. It is an overstatement, surely in the arts field, to say van Gogh is the best painter of his time or Williams is the best composer, or wathever. Mind you, the worst Williams bit of work is preferable to me over any Goldsmith or Morricone. Not so sure about some of classical peers like John Adams, John Corigliano and some of the younger generation like Kevin Puts, Michael Torke or Mark Adamo. Any of this guys are absolutly terrific composers, and anything I've heard from them is gold. Some shinier that other, some purer (or better) than other, but all they do is great. And only talking about living people. Now to say that Williams ranks higher than any of them, depiste of my personal opinion -- based on taste -- is an overstatement. They are all the best. I just prefer one of them to all the others.

I also understand from were Spielberg is coming, and what he means, and I don't find it all that bad... though if it was me, I would have it phrased in a somewhat different manner. Like Slatkin did a few years ago, when he said the Williams belongs on the same place as Copland, Bernstein and Barber -- whatever people here might think, three of the best composing minds ever to come from the United States. That is like saying that Williams is on the top of the composing business. Because, in the end, there is no "I'm the best" in the arts, but rather, "I belong to that restrict group of the top finest on my field".

Back when "Air and Simple Gifts" was premiered, Williams was called by a critic as the top second rate composer. I know of a fellow member who got all pissed up. Personally, that is quite a compliment -- though I know it was not intended as such -- because the first rate composers are the ones who invented new musical worlds, like the Bach's, Beethoven's and the likes. All the others based their work on this masters, on a way or another, just like Williams still does. To be the best of that second rate club, then, is quite something. But then again, so many of his peers of today are the best at what they do.

Just my long two cents :)

Great! Thanks Maurizio! :)

EDIT: Such a lovely show with so much appreciation for the Maestro.

Thanks for posting! LIstening to it right now, and I think this is probably the best recording of Fanfare for Fenway yet. Minimal audience noise, good sound quality, good performance (although the tempo was a bit slow). And the tributes are great. Brian Williams is as funny as always (well, not when he's giving the news) and I can't wait to hear Clinton speak.

But I picture Williams, his usual modest self, slowly but surely and uncomfortable sliding down his seat with every guest and host praising him and heaping honorary titles on him. :lol:

Well, in my opinion John Williams is the best American composer but I am not well versed in classical music and in film scores other than Williams. But I think we can all agree he is probably the most influential American composer, how many other film composers have been thanked by two US Presidents.

I was hosting a fundraiser the day of this concert otherwise I would have attended. I think I would have been slightly bummed when Williams did not conduct anything but at the same time from the snippet I watched and everyone's description it sounded marvelous.