Lincoln SCORE Discussion thread

Jay

Wow. thanks for that. I think this is a score that is best explored in a book! This was never a score I really felt in need of an expansion, but after some more recent listens and after reading how much you and others have explored this score bar by bar - my mind has been changed!

11 hours ago, Jay said:

Two things to note about these.  One is that the "Hymm" theme or "With Malice Towards None" theme if you will, was probably not intended to be a recurring theme in the score.  The only score cue it actually appears in is the final cue of the movie (7M58 Rev Now He Belongs To The Ages), and its revised ending (7M58 Rev String Ending).  In either case, it was only meant to play under the footage of Lincoln reciting his second inaugural address, and that's it.  As originally intended by Williams it was a one-off melody to play under this historic speech without any prior setup.

Interesting, I wonder if this is another case of "finding the main theme" halfway through the score ala Schindler's List

I dunno, I've never thought of the "With Malice Towards None" / "Hymm" theme as the "main" theme of the score; Admittedly it does get two prominent spots in the actual film as well as the end credits, though.

When I first got the album I thought that the "People's House" theme was the main theme in the score; It took me a while to realize it only actually appears on the album in the first track and end credits, and even longer to realize the end credits version was literally just the exact same recording again repeated and not a unique recording.  And of course in the film it only appears in the telegram scene - which didn't take long to realize was the People's House concert arrangement tracked in - and the end credits.

I kinda of feel like the themes Inky calls the "American Process theme" and "Freedom's Call theme" are the dueling main themes of the score, since they both appear frequently throughout the film and appear in numerous end credits arrangements.  But even that doesn't feel right.  It's more like a score without a single main theme, instead  a collection of 9 (wow, 9!) great themes.

The two themes not on that poll (using Inky's theme titles) are:

"The Civil War" - heard in the OST track "The Southern Delegation and the Dream", the FYC tracks "The Southern Delegation Arrives" and "No Sixteen Year-Olds Left", and the unreleased cue "Robert At The Hospital"

and

"The Dream" - heard in the OST track "The Southern Delegation and the Dream", and the FYC tracks "The American Process", "The Southern Delegation Arrives", and "Lincoln Responds To Southern VP"

32 minutes ago, Jay said:

I dunno, I've never thought of the "With Malice Towards None" / "Hymm" theme as the "main" theme of the score; Admittedly it does get two prominent spots in the actual film as well as the end credits, though.

Maybe not a main main theme but I'd definitely call it the foremost theme, due to the number of arrangements and it's placement at the start of end credits and how the piano arrangement ends the album.

On 12/10/2021 at 7:48 AM, Jay said:

That brass statement of the theme that opens the end credits is pretty great

One of the best musical moments in the score. The brass is so deep it's almost rumbling. At the same time, there's a solemnity and grace to it.

On 13/10/2021 at 11:49 PM, Joe Brausam said:

Great write-up!

Lincoln and War Horse are still my favorite modern Williams, The Book Thief isn't far behind.  I always appreciate seeing these threads bumped up.

They are all amazing scores, love them. TBT most important for me.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know anything about deleted scenes from this film?

I've gathered that at least two scenes with Tad Lincoln were completely cut, and other scenes too.

There was an official publication of the screenplay: https://www.amazon.com/dp/155936453X

However, you can find there here, and you will learn that they took all the scenes that got deleted out, before publishing that.

Anybody know anything?

• 4 weeks later...

OK I might be being very lazy here, but has anyone on here compared the Lincoln soundtrack release and the PRE oscar cd for your consideration music? Are there many differences ? or different tracks/music? Sorry for being naïve or lazy if this has been done already!

49 minutes ago, Antonb said:

OK I might be being very lazy here, but has anyone on here compared the Lincoln soundtrack release and the PRE oscar cd for your consideration music? Are there many differences ? or different tracks/music? Sorry for being naïve or lazy if this has been done already!

On 29/11/18 at 11:06 AM, Jay said:

2012 - Lincoln

Is there a commercially available recording of the full concert work "Three Pieces from Lincoln" (featuring the "Getting out the vote" section)?  I'm only aware of the Film Night at Pops live concert performance from 2013.

• 1 year later...