Lincoln SCORE Discussion thread

Jay

What is this shit (excuse my French) about the Lincoln CD release being postponed to January (at least in Europe)?

Is this being discussed anywhere?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lincoln-John-Williams/dp/B009A9EPLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352026706&sr=8-1

Curious. The internet retailer I ordered from (CDON) has the release date on 7th of November (day after the US release date), one local Finnish CD store chain actually has already some copies on their shelve and now Amazon.UK says January. Ah the uncertainties of the internet age.

Curious. The internet retailer I ordered from (CDON) has the release date on 7th of November (day after the US release date), one local Finnish CD store chain actually has already some copies on their shelve and now Amazon.UK says January. Ah the uncertainties of the internet age.

If amazon doesn't have it before January, it's very unlikely we'll get it anywhere else in Europe before January...

Well, some retailers might import copies from the U.S., but these would be exceptions rather than the rule, I think. And before we buy the imported CDs at inflated prices, we might as well order directly from amazon.com ourselves.

Well the Lincoln OST in our local store costs the price of a regular CD. Sure it can't compete with Amazon prices but obviously you can get it quicker than by waiting from 14 to 24 days for the Amazon US delivery.

Well the Lincoln OST in our local store costs the price of a regular CD. Sure it can't compete with Amazon prices but obviously you can get it quicker than by waiting from 14 to 24 days for the Amazon US delivery.

Well, I haven't seen it anywhere in the UK or Germany... at least so far.

That's it, I am moving to Finland! :D

Well, I haven't seen it anywhere in the UK or Germany... at least so far.

That's it, I am moving to Finland! :D

Well that particular CD store chain seems to get some of these new soundtrack releases very early (this happened last year with Tintin) but they usually hold only a few copies, 1 to 3, of it in their shelf initially. And there is usually no sure way of telling which scores they order so promptly. And on the whole the soundtrack market here is so poor we usually don't even get the soundtrack releases for most bigger films these days, unless there are obviously potential sales in sight. But I guess this is the trend around the world.

But I guess this is the trend around the world.

Well, not really. In the U.S. and in the U.K. most soundtracks are readily available in well-stocked CD stores. In Germany, not so much, but you have a wide selection still...

CD stores in Japan might actually have the widest selection of soundtracks on their shelves. There, you can find even Limited Edition releases from Varese Sarabande and LalaLand Records etc. on the shelves. I was stunned when I saw a whole shelf full of otherwise hard-to-get soundtracks in stock and on display...

OK it is the "edge of the civilized world" effect here in Finland then and a really small market for soundtracks I guess.

OK it is the "edge of the civilized world" effect here in Finland then and a really small market for soundtracks I guess.

Hmmmm, actually CD stores in St. Petersburg and Moscow might carry a wider selection of soundtracks than Finnish stores! There are some really good CD stores in Russia.

I think it has more to do with the size of a country... the bigger the country (i.e. the bigger the population), the more stuff you can get in that country. At least, generally, and assuming we are not talking about third word countries, of course.

Yeah it is very much about the market. I understand that there is no reason to order tens of copies of a CD that will be left collecting dust for years on the shelves or warehouse. And internet has taken a lot of trade from the smaller stores. One of my neighbourhood CD stores had to call it quits after 20 years because the internet had diminished the sales too much for the owner to make a living anymore.

And internet has taken a lot of trade from the smaller stores. One of my neighbourhood CD stores had to call it quits after 20 years because the internet had diminished the sales too much for the owner to make a living anymore.

(Y) Progress.

How about streaming the complete score on the FYC site like everyone else does

i guess we can still only dream it will happen with a Williams core one day

Sony Classical has absolutely nothing to do with the FYC websites, that would all be up to the people at Dreamworks (and possibly Touchstone / Fox)

Is it just me or do any of you hear a lot of Randy Newman esque / Bugs life in the Lincoln score. I know it makes sense melodically with the period. I wonder if parts were temped with previous Williams works. In the Peoples House track when the orchestra swells it really does sound like a variation of the war horse theme. I don't know, maybe thats how Williams writes music subconciously ad libbing on an existing idea in say JFK, Saving Private Ryan, Patriot etc etc. Listen to 9:20 on track 16 - war horse ???! Nevertheless it is a very restrained score, so all those loonies who say JW only writes bombastic themes can get stuffed!!

There probably are about 55 minutes of music in the film, I think. And we recorded 92 minutes of music in Chicago.

- John Williams

So about 35 minutes of unused music!

There probably are about 55 minutes of music in the film, I think. And we recorded 92 minutes of music in Chicago.

- John Williams

Not necessarily unused cues, some of that is the concert arrangements

- John Williams

Yeah, true. He said a lot of it was unused, and several pieces that he "just wrote as pieces".

- John Williams

please please... let all those 35 unused cues be in the OST and the Academy promo contain the 55 minutes used in the film....

please please... let all those 35 unused cues be in the OST and the Academy promo contain the 55 minutes used in the film....

Here here!!

Well, I got the usual "it says we should have it today but we don"t for whatever reason so come back next week" from HMV. The advertised price was 13.99$

Then I went to Archambault and I got raped 21.99$ for it (bought it to save hassle).Coming to my senses I returned it 5 minutes later

Then I found it at Renault Bray for 15.99$

HMV is clearly losing sales by not having c.d's in stock when they should. This happens with pretty much every new Williams OST. If they do that with every music genre that's not mainstream pop music, then it must add up to a lot of lost sales

As far as Williams' presidential music goes, it's his best since NIXON. If we draw a wider circle, i'd say it's a more refined THE PATRIOT with a dash of MUNICH's tortured string writing and - not entirely to my liking - a large dose of muted bugle horns and distant trumpets that complement the now all-too-familiar major string swells. The few lively folk music moments recalling THE REIVERS are a rare exception.

It's an entertaining album (if you leave out the civil war song) but i'm afraid, apart from the refined musical sources at work, it will hover more or less anonymously between all the similar stuff he wrote since the mid-90's.

I like it probably a little more than you do, but it's a fair assessment. It's something you enjoy while you're listening to it, but not a score you'll think about when you're not (if that even makes sense).

Karol

This is a powerhouse score. JW's best album since Angela's Ashes (not the US release).

After building such strong credentials as the resident master of witty sarcasm I can't tell whether you are serious or using your finely honed skills for clever humour with that statement.

Yes, I have the same kind of thing with Saving Private Ryan. Not something I revisit often, but when I do it's like "Oh that's pretty cool".

Karol

I have revisited Saving Private Ryan regularly after it sort of clicked with me several years ago. Lincoln is much more accessible in comparison but I am sure I'll be revisiting it with equal interested in the future.

I like it probably a little more than you do, but it's a fair assessment. It's something you enjoy while you're listening to it, but not a score you'll think about when you're not (if that even makes sense).

Karol

Though that has little to do with like or not, i'm not the 'like' button, i just try to put it in perspective. My tried and tested way of dealing with music i have in many different incarnations is simply to put the older stuff away and listen exclusively to the new one for a while. Works with Horner since the mid 90's.

As far as Williams' presidential music goes, it's his best since NIXON. If we draw a wider circle, i'd say it's a more refined THE PATRIOT with a dash of MUNICH's tortured string writing and - not entirely to my liking - a large dose of muted bugle horns and distant trumpets that complement the now all-too-familiar major string swells. The few lively folk music moments recalling THE REIVERS are a rare exception.

It's an entertaining album (if you leave out the civil war song) but i'm afraid, apart from the refined musical sources at work, it will hover more or less anonymously between all the similar stuff he wrote since the mid-90's.

I've lately been finding The Patriot vastly more entertaining than Lincoln.

My problem so far is that most of this score is not resonating with me - I'm just not getting the emotion I had with War Horse. A possible reason for this is that I would imagine Lincoln has to work underneath dialogue much more and not overpower it, and so JW has to choose his instrumentation very carefully. I generally find his use of solo instruments (mainly woodwinds) fairly dull - they need counterpoint.

Plus there's the set of themes - sometimes you get a project where you love every theme - exactly what War Horse has for me. This set of themes just aren't affecting me as much.