• Announcements

• Jay

Donation time at JWFan   01/16/18

Hello!

For those who may not know, JWFan relies entirely on donations to keep running.  Donations pay for our server bills, as well as keeping our domain and Invision Powerboard fees.
      As an incentive to donate, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Last time this was a modest success, where I raised $500 of our desired $1,000 and mailed out 3 free CDs to lucky JWFanners.  This time I'll be doing the raffling a littler different!   Our goal is $1000 once again, and I will have four tiers of free CDs you can win once again.  But this time, the more you donate, the more entries into each raffle you'll get!   Each $10 you donate gets your name put into the raffle mug once for the $10 pool, twice for the $20 pool, thrice for the $30 pool, and five times into the $50 pool.  Here is the list of CDs you can win - and I have more to add at a later time when I get a little more organized (I'll post what they are by Friday at the latest)   The $10 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you one ticket into this pool) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $250 donated Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   The $20 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you two ticket into this pool, must donate at least $20 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $500 donated John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   The $30 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you three ticket into this pool, must donate at least $30 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $750 donated James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   The $50 pool (Every $10 you donate gets you five ticket into this pool, must donate at least $50 to be eligible) - will be drawn as soon as we hit $1,000 donated Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.

The OST to Skyfall composed by Thomas Newman will be released on Monday October 22nd (International) / Tuesday November 6th (USA) by Sony Classical.

More info as soon as I get it.

UPDATES:

Amazon UK link with Monday October 22nd release date:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0096233ZW/

Amazon US link with Tuesday November 6th release date:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009FBX5M0/

Cover art:

51VChpGMJNL._SS420_.jpg

I'd be quite happy with Lady Gaga, actually.

Still kinda baffling that the album is less than two months out and we don't have even a clue yet (beyond some old Adele hints—but even if they were true, that doesn't mean she was a lock).

I have heard and read this assumption for 10 years now, and it never happened.

The 007 theme is an adventure theme very much in line with the camp action sequences of the Moore and later Connery films.

And I very much doubt such a theme, with its warm tones, would be used and fit for a Craig movie.

I can't wait to hear what approach he's taken.

Newman has never done anything resembling a full-blown action sequence,and most of his more frenetic work I've heard with brass seemed rather out of place.

I just hope he hasn't fallen back on electronics too much. The Adjustment Bureau sent me to sleep.

Some of the songs (and themes) were sublime, a lot of the underscore is not very interesting (Barry included). Arnold wrote some good workmanlike scores in the last years, but great music it ain't. Of all the expanded ones, the stylish OHMSS seems the most successful to me.

I'm both curious and afraid of what we might hear.

Karol

Afraid of what exactly? It's not that Bond films of the last 30 years were graced with sublime scores, so i don't see much at stake.

That's what I'm dreading. A sublime score.

I've heard there'll be lots of electronics.

Anything else you know?

Karol

As sad as I was that Arnold is leaving the franchise I am actually very interested to hear, what kind of sound Newman will bring to his Bond score. Is it entirely his own distinctive one or will he try to nod to the certain Bond score stylistics from John Barry era that Arnold kept very much in his music.

New featurette on the opening scene of the movie:

[media=]

Now, the music that plays in the background is very arnoldian, but I do not remember this piece in any Bond score of the English composer. That it may be the music of Newman?

This is why I'm excited for Newman's score - we have zero idea what to expect. With Arnold, we already have a pretty good idea what it's going to sound like, but Newman's never done a project like this before. It could be awful, but it could be fantastic. The greater the risk, the greater the reward.

Now, the music that plays in the background is very arnoldian, but I do not remember this piece in any Bond score of the English composer. That it may be the music of Newman?

It's mostly from Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough (Going Down/The Bunker). I don;t know the piece that opens the clip, it's definitely not Arnold's.

May it be first piece of music from the upcoming soundtrack?

http://www.iflymagazine.com/?locale=nl_nl&utm_source=reminder&utm_medium=mail&utm_content=nlnl&utm_campaign=ifly23&WT.mc_id=1928936|6659127|81779210|257912810|1023761&WT.tsrc=email&&&WT.tsrc=email#/bright/cocacola/

It doesn't sound too much like Newman, on the other hand he is a versatile composer after all, so who knows. I can't say I would mind if the real soundtrack sounded like this.

I know the Super 8 site had Giacchino's music on it before sessions for that wrapped.

I'm digging the music. It's not completely divorced from the Barry-with-electronica style Arnold established, but there's subtlety and class. No bloated orchestrations, thank goodness.

I remember a time when Martin, Hamlisch, Conti or Legrand seemed to have much greater leeway in producing original scores for the franchise. We have to wait how the whole thing plays out, the clip is very similar to Arnold's work....too similar.

I remember a time when Martin, Hamlisch, Conti or Legrand seemed to have much greater leeway in producing original scores for the franchise. We have to wait how the whole thing plays out, the clip is very similar to Arnold's work....too similar.

O r i g i n a l scores aren't much desired these days.

O r i g i n a l scores aren't much desired these days.

True, but why hire a new composer and not Arnold, then?