Jay

The OST to Skyfall composed by Thomas Newman will be released on Monday October 22nd (International) / Tuesday November 6th (USA) by Sony Classical.

More info as soon as I get it.

UPDATES:

Amazon UK link with Monday October 22nd release date:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0096233ZW/

Amazon US link with Tuesday November 6th release date:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009FBX5M0/

Cover art:

51VChpGMJNL._SS420_.jpg

I'd be quite happy with Lady Gaga, actually.

Still kinda baffling that the album is less than two months out and we don't have even a clue yet (beyond some old Adele hints—but even if they were true, that doesn't mean she was a lock).

Maybe Thomas Newman will go retro and use John Barry's "007" theme.

I have heard and read this assumption for 10 years now, and it never happened.

The 007 theme is an adventure theme very much in line with the camp action sequences of the Moore and later Connery films.

And I very much doubt such a theme, with its warm tones, would be used and fit for a Craig movie.

I can't wait to hear what approach he's taken.

Newman has never done anything resembling a full-blown action sequence,and most of his more frenetic work I've heard with brass seemed rather out of place.

I just hope he hasn't fallen back on electronics too much. The Adjustment Bureau sent me to sleep.

I'm both curious and afraid of what we might hear.

Karol

Afraid of what exactly? It's not that Bond films of the last 30 years were graced with sublime scores, so i don't see much at stake.

Some of the songs (and themes) were sublime, a lot of the underscore is not very interesting (Barry included). Arnold wrote some good workmanlike scores in the last years, but great music it ain't. Of all the expanded ones, the stylish OHMSS seems the most successful to me.

this is an excellent opportunity for newman to expose his talent and what he's capable of to an undoubtedly huge and broad crowd. :) it's a pretty big deal. I would just love to see him knock everyone's socks off!

I'm both curious and afraid of what we might hear.

Karol

Afraid of what exactly? It's not that Bond films of the last 30 years were graced with sublime scores, so i don't see much at stake.

That's what I'm dreading. A sublime score.

I've heard there'll be lots of electronics.

Anything else you know?

Karol

As sad as I was that Arnold is leaving the franchise I am actually very interested to hear, what kind of sound Newman will bring to his Bond score. Is it entirely his own distinctive one or will he try to nod to the certain Bond score stylistics from John Barry era that Arnold kept very much in his music.

Not a fan of Giacchino's effort?

I like it, I just always thought Arnold is perfect for Trek.

Never considered this before, but I think you're right!

New featurette on the opening scene of the movie:

[media=]

Now, the music that plays in the background is very arnoldian, but I do not remember this piece in any Bond score of the English composer. That it may be the music of Newman?

This is why I'm excited for Newman's score - we have zero idea what to expect. With Arnold, we already have a pretty good idea what it's going to sound like, but Newman's never done a project like this before. It could be awful, but it could be fantastic. The greater the risk, the greater the reward.

Now, the music that plays in the background is very arnoldian, but I do not remember this piece in any Bond score of the English composer. That it may be the music of Newman?

It's mostly from Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough (Going Down/The Bunker). I don;t know the piece that opens the clip, it's definitely not Arnold's.

• 2 weeks later...

May it be first piece of music from the upcoming soundtrack?

http://www.iflymagazine.com/?locale=nl_nl&utm_source=reminder&utm_medium=mail&utm_content=nlnl&utm_campaign=ifly23&WT.mc_id=1928936|6659127|81779210|257912810|1023761&WT.tsrc=email&&&WT.tsrc=email#/bright/cocacola/

It doesn't sound too much like Newman, on the other hand he is a versatile composer after all, so who knows. I can't say I would mind if the real soundtrack sounded like this.

I know the Super 8 site had Giacchino's music on it before sessions for that wrapped.

I'm digging the music. It's not completely divorced from the Barry-with-electronica style Arnold established, but there's subtlety and class. No bloated orchestrations, thank goodness.

Why directors keep on taking their favourite composers on jobs like this just to let them produce carbon copies of their predecessors remains an open question (it sounds a bit more polished than Arnbold, though).

I remember a time when Martin, Hamlisch, Conti or Legrand seemed to have much greater leeway in producing original scores for the franchise. We have to wait how the whole thing plays out, the clip is very similar to Arnold's work....too similar.

I remember a time when Martin, Hamlisch, Conti or Legrand seemed to have much greater leeway in producing original scores for the franchise. We have to wait how the whole thing plays out, the clip is very similar to Arnold's work....too similar.

O r i g i n a l scores aren't much desired these days.