Jay

Just put in my pre-order. Normally I don't do that (think the last time that happened was Super 8), but I'm confident Newman will come up with something fun.

Now, that said, I'm hoping the song isn't limited to a lossy iTunes single.

The music on the iFly Magazine website - I feel inclined to point out that it is produced using sample libraries (e.g. not a real orchestra). Could be a mockup of Newman's stuff though - the mockup does sound very realistic. :)

The album pre-order does say Various Artists though, so I'm hopeful the song will be on the disc.

Unlikely. Ever since they have been co-producing with Sony, Sony Classical gets the score and the single is released on the artists' label. I'm sure that will be the same in this case. Amazon has probably just not been given the full info yet so various is just a place holder.

The cover art has been added to the Amazon UK listing

51VChpGMJNL._SS420_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0096233ZW/

The OST has been pushed back to Oct 29 as well. Released on that same day is a CD Single of Adele's song, because it won't be on the OST CD

41v4HPNQFeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009KY0TE4/

Release date is still Nov 6 for the US CD

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009FBX5M0/

No word yet on if the US version WILL contain the song.

It's not just word on FSM, just click the link I provided to the Amazon page for the single, the track list is listed right there

Tracklist is out:

http://filmmusicrepo...ils/#more-13227

A few observations:

- I hope the gunbarrel music is included in track 1

- It's a nice healthy album: over 75 minutes

- It doesn't appear to be in chronological order, but I'm not certain of that.

- The track "Shanghai Drive" appears to be the same length as that piece that was attached to the Coke Zero ifly advertisement (curious!)

- No title song on the CD, but I think that was expected by most.

I hope that Coke Zero music is composed by Newman. To me it sounds like music for the end of the film, somewhere in the climax.

I guess it must be a cue by Newman. Why would they spend money on letting somebody compose music for the website, instead of using a cue from Newman's score? Live mixes in the recording studio are done anyway, so "the recording sessions weren't over yet" is no excuse. The horn rip at the beginning sounds very synth-y though.

- I hope the gunbarrel music is included in track 1

has a gunbarrel sequence been confirmed?...

Well, they have been using the gunbarrel as the main image for the movie so I would assume that it is there. Plus, the 10 minute video blog they released last week looked as if it showed Craig filming a new sequence.

Yeah, maybe this track is an exception (and I like it). But I'm slowly tired of things like that:

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDMqv4U8rC8

Can't really tell the difference between all those action tracks.

Karol

They didn't exactly choose the best tracks for preview there did they? Sounds very uninspiring, even game music-esque - some parts sounded similar to Zimmer's Modern Warfare 2 score. Let's hope they decided to retain the thematic material for the album release.

Yeah, maybe this track is an exception (and I like it). But I'm slowly tired of things like that:

Karol

Really? That's peculiar. Arnold is one of the few composers right now who actually write distinct cues, no matter you like his music or not. Target Terminated is no exeption in my book. My only complaint is the sound of his later scores - very little reverb with volume of each section of the orchestra crancked up to full.

Yawn.

What is that watery cutesy Thomas Snoozeman crap from 2:00 to 2:28 doing in a Bond film?

No offense, but is it up to you to decide what should be in a "Bond film", whatever that is...

I actually like some variety in every film genre.

Karol

Really? That's peculiar. Arnold is one of the few composers right now who actually write distinct cues, no matter you like his music or not. Target Terminated is no exeption in my book. My only complaint is the sound of his later scores - very little reverb with volume of each section of the orchestra crancked up to full.

Yeah, that might be the actual problem. Not the music itself. Over-produced music is not a rare thing these days...

Yay! The obnoxious over-cluttered Arnold-ness is gone, finally!

Karol

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfa7KU2VTpw

Watchu talking about Karol?

It's all there in the pointless synth shimmers, delayed pulses, beeps, taps, wails and what-not. Arnold just doesn't know when to quit.

Loving the Newman cue, BTW.

Yawn.

What is that watery cutesy Thomas Snoozeman crap from 2:00 to 2:28 doing in a Bond film?

No offense, but is it up to you to decide what should be in a "Bond film", whatever that is...

I actually like some variety in every film genre.

No offense taken. Sure, I agree, I love variety in every film genre as well. That doesn't mean you can't have variety without being out of place. That little Newmanism doesn't feel right in its own surrounding bubble of a sample let alone anything greater.

Yay! The obnoxious over-cluttered Arnold-ness is gone, finally!

Karol

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfa7KU2VTpw

Watchu talking about Karol?

It's all there in the pointless synth shimmers, delayed pulses, beeps, taps, wails and what-not. Arnold just doesn't know when to quit.

Loving the Newman cue, BTW.

Prometheus,

I am entertained by your cognitive dissonance. You negatively point out the "pointless synth shimmers, delayed pulses, beeps, taps, wails and what-not" in Night at the Opera.

And in the same post, not more than a centimeter below that same line, say "Loving the Newman cue, BTW."

Maybe I've been listening to too much film music but it sounds like something David Arnold would have composed.

I agree. It's just a little bit more on the friendly side. You're even more right when you realize the second sample in the video is straight out of Camille's Story in Quantum of Solace. Straight up temp-track rip.

They didn't exactly choose the best tracks for preview there did they? Sounds very uninspiring, even game music-esque - some parts sounded similar to Zimmer's Modern Warfare 2 score. Let's hope they decided to retain the thematic material for the album release.

You're absolutely right. The last actiony sample sounds like music you would find in a game. Actually, I think I can place it:

I am entertained by your cognitive dissonance. You negatively point out the "pointless synth shimmers, delayed pulses, beeps, taps, wails and what-not" in Night at the Opera.

And in the same post, not more than a centimeter below that same line, say "Loving the Newman cue, BTW."

Newman is delightfully restrained compared to Arnold. Notice there's a couple of palm muted guitars, strings, brass, drum kit, bass, and that's pretty much it. Less is more.

I agree. It's just a little bit more on the friendly side. You're even more right when you realize the second sample in the video is straight out of Camille's Story in Quantum of Solace. Straight up temp-track rip.

There's a solo alto flute here, and a pan flute in Camille's Story, but apart from that, where's the similarity? The lush, silky muted strings are far more sensual than anything Arnold gave us in his decade of tyranny.

Newman is delightfully restrained compared to Arnold. Notice there's a couple of palm muted guitars, strings, brass, drum kit, bass, and that's pretty much it. Less is more.

I don't know, I think he is more "blurred" compared to Arnold. Lots of paddy wallpapery textural instruments. But there's definitely a lot there.

Because I agree with you, less is more. I just don't get that with Newman's work here. It's still too full.

Even then "less" is also trickier to pull off effectively, because of the degree of problem-solving required on the part of the composer, and Newman hasn't blown me away with his genuinely less is more works.