Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - who's a fan?

Kevin

Great show. The only Star Trek series i started watching and right now i am at the start of season 5.

It is amazing that DS9 gets better and better from season to season. Season 1 and 2 certainly have its rough spots but they have a "cozy" flavour of their own. Shit hasn't hit the fan yet at that time in the story so to speak.

I love the DS9 theme and also like the music on the show. I am really looking forward to the Lalaland set. Shame that there is absolutely no info on that.

With DS9, Star Trek had it's first black lead actor.

With the exception of two notable episodes (one of the the fantastic Far Beyond The Stars) Sisko's race ever mentioned. Racial distinctions are only made between Alien races in Star Trek, its not a matter of skin color.

I do have to wonder who came up with the idea of naming Sisko's girlfriend and later wife Cassidy Jones, sounds like a heroine from a Blaxploitation flick. ;)

Just play some 70's funk and say that name....Cassidy Joooones!

I used to enjoy Deep Space Nine, yes. It was another of those shows where the confined circumstances of the characters meant that script became more important than events, just as with the team on the boat in Jaws.

I do have to wonder who came up with the idea of naming Sisko's girlfriend and later wife Cassidy Jones, sounds like a heroine from a Blaxploitation flick. ;)

Just play some 70's funk and say that name....Cassidy Joooones!

Cassidy Jones does sound like a blaxploitation chick. But who is she? Sisko fell in love with Kasidy Yates.

Trent, adding a run of "o's" to "Yates" to get "Joooones" does not constitute a typo. It's an "I don't remember what the hell her name was so I'm gonna make something up and hope I'm funny."

Stupid phone corrected my spelling and I didnt notice

Jason this is my excuse for my spelling errors in the other thread.....yeah that's it.

• 4 years later...

Anyone else following whats going on with the upcoming What We Left Behind documentary by DS9 showrunner and purple bearded freak Ira Steven Behr, directed by Adan (son of Spock) Nimoy?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/what-we-left-behind-star-trek-deep-space-nine-doc#/

The crowdfunding campaign blew past it's initial goal with great ease meaning the running time will now be longer, it will get an orchestral score and additional interviews might be scheduled. And the money is still coming in. Even from anonymous donors...

What the hell was I on when I posted in this thread? The only episodes I skipped were "Meridian" and a couple Ferengi episodes I just couldn't make it through. I still can't make it through one of them, it's just soo boring. However, I owned much of the series on DVD at this point. I just hadn't watched it since like 2007? I guess that was quite a while. When it became conveniently available on streaming services, I started obsessively watching them all again.

I've donated to the DS9 crowd fund, and am psyched to see what they come up with.  I just read that given it's unlikely we're going to see DS9 (Star Trek's best series) in HD anytime soon, they're going to try to render some scenes in HD for the doc on their own, assuming they can get permission. It's already been established it can be done by one of of DS9's SFX guys, so if it happens it will be pretty cool.

19 hours ago, Stefancos said:

What's with the blue beard? Is he trying to be a pirate?

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I want to own the new DVD set, even though there's no reason too!

I don't. I have the old set and I want a HD box, even though thanks to Netflix & Co it's unlikely we'll be getting one.

Yes, but at least partly because people don't buy stuff anymore, they stream. Which obviously means less money for extra features and stuff, and also for deluxe presentations that people would appreciate, but not pay for anymore.

Let's not say never. Even all those insider statements just say that it doesn't seem to be in the cards for the intermediate future. Who knows what'll happen in a couple of years.

I think the series looks fine the way it is, the way it was meant to be seen. It's true TNG's upgrade was incredible, although they went overboard with the color boosting. Remember, DS9 always looked better than TNG.