2000 Williams interview by Ray Bennett

mahler3

Wow, this is definitely one of Williams' better interviews. There's a lot of uncharted territory here, I only wish it were longer. Very cool to hear that Morris Stolof may have been the connection that allowed JW score score Sinatra's only film. Also cool to hear about Hitchock's knowledge of British music, and the approach to instrumentation for Angela's Ashes.

A really insightful interview and wonderful that Ray Bennett asked such specific questions about these individual scores.

Yes the interview seems to have been done pretty much on these great names and how JW is associated with them but there are some very interesting small tidbits I had never read before. Surprisingly Mr. Bennett goes into these "I loved your this or that score" remarks that spark the answers or reminiscence about them.

It's so full of tidbits, it almost seems fake. Who would've thought John Williams would do an entire paragraph on Alan Parker, of all people?

You do realize that this interview is not new. It is from 2000, not all that long after Angela's Ashes was composed.