The Long Goodbye complete score released by Quartet Records

Omen II

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm so I'm starting to get nervous now, still no CD! And I got my shipping confirmation on the 11th. Whaaaaaaaat??

I have to say that this is a classy release. The liner notes are very interesting and enlightening and the package looks classy with great stills from the film and some production photos plus the wonderful cover art work. And of course the music is top notch. :)

It is really a unique entry in Williams career in how the music is used in the film and the score or rather the song variations really leave you with a long lingering memory, something bittersweet but affecting and are a big part of the whole atmosphere and feel of the film. And this feel is well captured here on the album, the different versions feeling like thematic variations and the album sustains interest from beginning to the end despite that fact that we are hearing only one melody throughout.

It has to be said about Altman that he really knew how to create these unique films and created also very unique opporturnities for the composers to express themselves. As atypical and eclectic as Images or The Long Goodbye are in execution in comparison with JWs most renowned music, they are still fascinating and quite brilliant in their own way.

I have to say that this is a classy release. The liner notes are very interesting and enlightening and the package looks classy with great stills from the film and some production photos plus the wonderful cover art work. And of course the music is top notch. :)

It is really a unique entry in Williams career in how the music is used in the film and the score or rather the song variations really leave you with a long lingering memory, something bittersweet but affecting and are a big part of the whole atmosphere and feel of the film. And this feel is well captured here on the album, the different versions feeling like thematic variations and the album sustains interest from beginning to the end despite that fact that we are hearing only one melody throughout.

It has to be said about Altman that he really knew how to create these unique films and created also very unique opporturnities for the composers to express themselves. As atypical and eclectic as Images or The Long Goodbye are in execution in comparison with JWs most renowned music, they are still fascinating and quite brilliant in their own way.

This is indeed a wonderful release in every way. Great music, presented in full -- or as full as possible -- with dream of a booklet with great notes and pictures.

It should be pointed out something, that I will mention again as I finish my cronological ordering of the tracks, that is the presence of a non Williams tune, on the very opening of the film (as we see United Artists logo) and in the end, over the end credits. In both cases this is a old recording of "Hooray for Hollywood", which was given lyrics by Johnny Mercer, back in the 30's. While is logical not to include it on the CD, it makes quite a lot of sense on the film.

As mentioned on the linner notes, Marlowe is a man of another era, living in the 40's, when the song was new, and he also shares with the lyrics the disanchentement for tinseltown and all the fake glow of all the pretty people who sorround him. It is almost like saying, some of us still live on another time and we don't really care for today's trends... even if we keep saying "it's ok with me".

Seems like it'll be a great CD. Whenever it arrives.

Yeah... which reminds me. I didn't check the mail today. Here I go!

Yeah it features the outline of the main plot more or less in the middle section after discussing the character of Philip Marlowe and the production for a spell. And of course the track descriptions in the discussion of the score in the latter half give something away of the plot too.

Ok thanks.

So, I'll wait to see the film before I read them.

It's a lovely score as I hear it.. Melancholic...

By the way, the film is being released in Bluray in 2 weeks

http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/52119/

edit: what is this weird edit of different versions of the song in the main title montage? is this how it sounds in the film?

Ok thanks.

So, I'll wait to see the film before I read them.

It's a lovely score as I hear it.. Melancholic...

By the way, the film is being released in Bluray in 2 weeks

http://www.blu-ray.c...-Blu-ray/52119/

edit: what is this weird edit of different versions of the song in the main title montage? is this how it sounds in the film?

Yeap. The main title montage is a wonderful piece of intercutting both in the film and in music. The music goes from one source to another along with the cuts. On the album it may sound very odd if you do not know what it accompanies, the changes so abrupt in style and cuts.

thanks..

I'm on track 16 now.

As i said, wonderful to hear but so repetitive! Haven't heard anything else beside the song theme.

I'm sure it explains in the liner notes which i can't read right now, but i wonder if it's a stylistic approach on the part of director, or Williams not having time to compose anything else..

Well while not giving anything vital away of the plot I can say that the use of the song as the only musical signature of the whole film was entirely intentional and purposeful both on the director's and composer's part.

well, even if the song plays a very vital role of life and death, I can't think of a reason why only this should be used and not anything else..

anyway, maybe my questions are explained when i see the film.

well, even if the song plays a very vital role of life and death, I can't think of a reason why only this should be used and not anything else..

anyway, maybe my questions are explained when i see the film.

It's just a cool approach for this kind of movie. More importantly, it works.

Ok, I've had no contact from Quartet records at all. Not even a reply to my email asking for confirmation of purchase. Their customer service doesn't just suck, it is literally non-existant. No sign of the CD, no communication, nothing.

Has anyone had anything at all from Quartet records yet? Any communication? A shipping notice? God forbid an actual CD?

I finally got mine. Yay! Its a fun CD, though side effects include having the song stuck in your head for a week!

Good thing its a great song!

Sorry to nit-pick, guys, but it's not qiute complete: it doesn't have the source- music "Hooray For Hollywood".

I already mentioned that before -- it also misses the dorbells and Rydell whistling the theme.

Nevertheless, it makes quite some sense not including "Horray for Hollywood", as it was a old recording not made for the film.

But you could argue that the door bell and Rydell's whistling are sound effects and therefore have no business being on the album and the Hooray for Hollywood was just licensed to be used in the film and can be found elsewhere.

the jewel case is fine, but the cd holding spikes did not survive the journey [...]

Same here. Man, I hate it when that happens. I don't know why, it's nothing catastrophic and the plastic insert can easily be replaced, but I hate it anyway. :down:

But you could argue that the door bell and Rydell's whistling are sound effects and therefore have no business being on the album and the Hooray for Hollywood was just licensed to be used in the film and can be found elsewhere.

Absolutely not!!! The Door bell was essential for the advance of the score!!! :P

Actually, it was quite fun, the first time I saw the film, to hear that every single bit of melodic material was indeed drawn from the theme. Even doorbells and whistles. I knew at the time that the song was omnipresent, but never really imagine it would be to such an extent.

And seriously, in the film, "Hooray..." makes a lot of sense. But in the CD it would be weird, even if placed in the begin or end, like in the film. Or at least to my ears it would.

• 3 weeks later...

So ordered Quartet's release of The Long Goodbye a few days after it was released, but I was only able to pick it up today due to the location it was shipped to. I opened the package to find...they send me the wrong CD. They sent me Bruno Coulais' Les Adieux A La Reine. The Long Goodbye is now sold out.

Is there anything I can do? If I asked them to buy me a copy from Amazon or eBay do you think they would do it?

I agree, they should have extra copies on case of defective discs, errors in shipping etc...

Correct. Contact Quartet immediately.

What everybody in this thread have said. They are responsible for shipping you the right disc and it was their mistake so they should correct it.