That awesome moment from "Olympic Fanfare and Theme"...

indy4

2:38 of this video:

This has got to be one of JW's all time best moments. Cutting through the unstable/pent-up whirring strings of chaos is a proud trumpet fanfare, but the low brass hits don't quite sync with it harmonically the first time...the second is a little closer but the third...is fucking orgasmic. Then trombones and percussion go crazy with with ostinati and boom-tzzz's as the trumpets and strings prepare for the climax of the piece and the merging of the two themes. It is the ultimate buildup. Never fails to give me an adrenaline rush.

I haven't actually heard the recording I linked above except to find the time stamp, I'm talking about the magnificent recording by the Boston Pops on By Request.

In most instances, let down by vanilla performances and lifeless recordings. I've only ever heard one recording I actually liked of this piece, years ago by the London Theatre Orchestra.

By the way, it's the first time I hear this, and I think it's magnificent.

First time eh? I suggest you go and listen to all his Olympic works. They're all fantastic pieces of music.

And the classic Olympic Fanfare and Theme is truly one of my favourite compositions from the maestro. My favourite of his Olympic works always varies from time to time though.

This piece is being played by the BBC Symphony Orchestra this coming Saturday (8th September) in the celebrated Last Night of the Proms at the Royal Albert Hall. Even if you cannot watch it live on television, you can listen to it live on BBC Radio 3. Details are here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...tember-08/14484

There's plenty of other fine stuff in the concert too, including the traditional flagwavers at the end for the Brits. They usually put the programme notes online after the concert, which tend to be very comprehensive for all the Proms concerts.

I haven't actually heard the recording I linked above except to find the time stamp,

This seems to be the Summon the Heroes/The Sound of Glory version.

Hey...Call of the Champions deserves to stand amongst its predecessors. I love every minute of it!

The "Citius! Altius! Fortius!" bits are awesome. The rest seems too cliched to me. Plus Shawn Murphy butchered the recording.

Oh definitely. What the fuck happened to the brass? It's an Olympic theme!

My favorite part of the Call of the Champions is that b section. There's a really awesome part late in that piece.

"The Olympic Spirit" would probably be the next runner-up for me. The orchestration and tonal language are pure Williams, certainly, but something about it just doesn't do it for me, melodically speaking. "Olympic Fanfare and Theme" has the whole package. And while "Bugler's Dream" isn't Williams, it's still a marvelous march that happens to work well in conjunction with Williams' work.

Yikes, I'm listening to a not-so-grievously-compressed version of that same recording right now. Such amazing music. :) My favorite thing about that particular recording is the way the low brass is so punchy and bright on the final note.

While Summon the Heroes holds the first place among Williams Olympics output for me Olympic Fanfare and Theme is a rousing second. Incidentally I adore the similar busy and squirming woodwind and brass build-up in Summon the Heroes beginning at 3:50 as you mention in your post for Olympic Fanfare indy4.

Speaking of "Call of the Champions"...

What happened with that recording?

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/1763503.stm

A good question. Another good question is how many of these recordings have not seen the light of day as I think there have been numerous reports of Williams recording all kinds of concert works and fanfares with various orchestras but very few have been released thusfar.

I hear slave childeren in Thugee Mines.
You're right, it's the same ostinato on the snare drums.

I'm not sure I hear this, but would love to know if I'm missing something. Are you comparing 3:09 of Olypmic Fanfare:

With the start (0:00) of Parade of the slave children:

[media=]

I agree the similarity with the snare and tempo, but to me they sound completely different. One is triumphant, and good spirited in every way, while the ToD piece has much more of a bad-ass march feel to it, with the piano/string low notes and that bell type thing hitting with the flutes. Anyway, two fantastic pieces of music, just not sure i hear much similarity beyond the tempo and snare drum.

It's a more solemn, somewhat self-serious affair. I've always found the transition into the middle section naggingly awkward, and I think the principal melody works better as a slightly dreamy, reflective trumpet solo than as a bold fanfare.

This piece is being played by the BBC Symphony Orchestra this coming Saturday (8th September) in the celebrated Last Night of the Proms at the Royal Albert Hall.

There is already a clip of this up on YouTube. Enjoy!

[media=]

Love that moment in "Slave Children's Crusade" from 1:45 to 1:50, that shortened fanfare. Awesome. I listened this this score 3 times yesterday in the car (had some distance I needed to cover).