Lincoln - Theatrical Trailer Discussion

Jay

Well the trailer was just streamed live here:

http://www.lincolnmoviehangout.com/

I'm sure it will turn up in the usual places soon but for those who saw the stream: What did you think?

I think it's looks interesting - SO many famous actors in it!

I HATED the use of constant fading in and out of black... why do all trailers these days do that????

Williams' music sounded gorgeous

Even if you missed the trailer, go to the stream now, Spielberg is being interviewed. First he talked about directing Daniel Day Lewis, now he's talking about how the book was whittled down to the screen play

Well the trailer was just streamed live here:

http://www.lincolnmoviehangout.com/

I'm sure it will turn up in the usual places soon but for those who saw the stream: What did you think?

I think it's looks interesting - SO many famous actors in it!

I HATED the use of constant fading in and out of black... why do all trailers these days do that????

Williams' music sounded gorgeous

Even if you missed the trailer, go to the stream now, Spielberg is being interviewed. First he talked about directing Daniel Day Lewis, now he's talking about how the book was whittled down to the screen play

this

Corny! Hokey! Sentimental! Shameless! Manipulative! Cheesy! Sappy! Treacly! Saccharine! Simplistic! Schmaltzy! Syrupy! Spielberg and Williams have no respect for the intelligence of their audience! This movie would have been better had it been made by [insert name of nihilistic, misanthropic director here]!

The production values and Daniel Day Lewis is spot-on (barely recognized him), but this feels generic and Oscar-baity like last year's War Horse. Williams' score, even in abbreviated form, sounds terrific.

And a few scenes remind me strongly of Amistad... which gives me pause. I think I'll just stick to reading Doris Goodwin's book...

Corny! Hokey! Sentimental! Shameless! Manipulative! Cheesy! Sappy! Treacly! Saccharine! Simplistic! Schmaltzy! Syrupy! Spielberg and Williams have no respect for the intelligence of their audience! This movie would have been better had it been made by [insert name of nihilistic, misanthropic director here]!

I'm already seeing some of this, actually :rolleyes:

Trailer is kind of generic but I look forward to this film all the same. And that music is some truly stirring work on part of the maestro. It looks like the Lincoln score will expand on some of the lyrical territory established in War Horse.

Honestly, I'm not sure about this one. Williams' score is promising, and the movie looks pretty good - I especially thought Daniel Day-Lewis was striking - but I think I'm just going to wait until November and see the movie before I say anything else about it.

I like that Williams' music has been heavily showcased in the last couple of trailers. The movie Lincoln needs to be unequivocally good and well received for Williams to have a shot, I think. War Horse, as decent as it was, was not a rousing success. I think most people basically forgot about it once it was out of theaters, and voters didn't seem to be moved by it.

I just think that at this point Williams' score has to be undeniable for him to get recognition, otherwise folks just think it's "another year, another nomination, nothing to see here" type of attitude.

I thought the trailer was good, though. Music was lovely, can't wait to here the full thematic material in its natural setting.

I do like one thing that caught my eye, or rather ear. Daniel Day Lewis is doing a nice high and squeaky voice for Lincoln. Nice historically accurate touch, especially coming from Mr. Baritone Daniel Day Lewis. The question is how true will the film be to Abe's real motives for the Civil War? Or will this be sappy Spielberg's take on Lincoln..."Lincoln was a saint!" crap.

Eh, I had some hope for this movie up to 2 hours ago. After this trailer I have no hope. If there is any man that can screw up a film about a complicated character, it's Steve Spielberg.

- Blume, a huge fan of the man Abraham Lincoln

I like the music as music; I have concerns about how it'll play in the film.

They're clearly taking the safe route to market the movie; I hope and expect that the screenplay will have more depth than what we've been shown here.

Holy shit the music is awesome in this trailer

:thumbup:

The trailer looked quite promising but I'll wait and see if this is going to be a pageant or an interresting exploration of Lincoln's character and times.

I like the music as music; I have concerns about how it'll play in the film.

Well, the trailer music (at least from 1:24 on) sounds suspiciously like an end credits piece, rather than an actual part of the underscore, especially if FilmComposer518's comments are anything to go by. Not that a more moody, atmospheric score couldn't come across as too hokey for its own good -- as some people have still complained about what little music is in Schindler's List or SPR -- but I don't think we'll be hearing any grand fortissimo statements in the movie itself. Not on that order, anyway.

It sounds like one of Williams "Finale" cues, like the ones at the end of Rosewood and Sleepers, where the rest of the score is more subdued

Yes I think it is premature to condemn the score in the film one way or the other because of the trailer. They usually go for the most dramatic music available on the soundtrack that will have for good or for ill a "big" effect in the trailer as it has to make an impact.

I does look exactly as Hallmark-y as i expected. The score is robust Americana, but 'playing it safe' comes to mind on both fronts. On the other hand, if you are not Oliver Stone, could this have been done any other way?

I don't think anyone at the forum is "condemning" Williams's music yet. My concerns are rooted in my response to Williams's general tendencies and past occasions when I feel he has either overreached or misapprehended the emotional exigencies of a given scene.

I, for one, don't have any concerns, neither film nor music makes my pants wet, it's just not a very exciting genre. If Williams had Desplat's RISE OF THE GUARDIANS on the table, it would be another matter, but i think we all have quite a bite of JW presidential music by now.

I don't think anyone at the forum is "condemning" Williams's music yet. My concerns are rooted in my response to Williams's general tendencies and past occasions when I feel he has either overreached or misapprehended the emotional exigencies of a given scene.

True but he has gotten it also right pretty damn many times. Historical films also walk the narrow lane where certain things are expected to be emphasized and celebrated but mostly things should be hushed and solemn and innocuous as possible music wise so as not to make the serious subject matter possibly grander or bigger or more sentimental than it really is.

Judging by the trailer there will be at least to a degree focus on Lincoln as a person, his personality and personal struggles behind the scenes, not just as the demi-god like figure with a big golden L on his surcoat and a cape waving behind him, who abolished slavery and single handedly ended all woes in America.

He wasn't the one who ended all woes in America? I wonder who did, then.

It was this 30 foot Abe Lincoln robot of course.

pc_sammax_104_climax.png

I mean honestly don't you follow the adventures of Sam and Max regularly?

As mrbellamy alluded to above, even "restrained" or "studiously solemn" Williams can grate. Williams isn't one to shy away from editorializing in his music, even to the point of superfluity. As tightly spotted as Saving Private Ryan is, Williams is still more voluble and more emphatic than is necessary. He's like the commentator talking over a performance, reaching for some sort of lexical eloquence, when in fact even his most skilled attempts merely vulgarize what is taking place before him. Sometimes all that need be conveyed lies in the ineffable unfolding of the moment.

Yes I can certainly agree with that in some films and moments in Williams' case. Perhaps it is the old fashioned in him as he tends to broadcast the emotional content more strongly than most of his peers, perhaps the certain lack of communication between the director and the composer on what is the center of the scene and what kind of approach it really needs, Spielberg either truly happy with the more clearly expressed colors and beats of the scene in music or not having the heart to restrain his old colleague. Sometimes the actors and words are indeed all that is needed with very small gestures from the music or not at all.

[media=]

Awwww man I know it's Oscar bait and it's unbelievably generic, but I just love it haha! It looks and sounds fantastic for my Spielberg/Williams senses.

And anyone else really struck by the music that starts at around 0.44 seconds? It sounds so harsh and sad, really looking forward to hearing more of that! :D

I reckon is probably a lot more conventional than the movie will be, for pure marketing purposes. I love Kushner as a writer and I always expect an unique perspective coming from him

The trailer itself isn't interesting. The content of the trailer doesn't show a film I'm crazy about. I like the music, though.

JW needs to be given weirder films for his creativity to explode though, and Spielberg is more or less the same.

Hate to say it, but that FilmMusic guy was right, this is average Williams.

The most recognisable parts sound distinctly like War Horse.

How boring the film music world must be when people go ape over this.