Lincoln - Theatrical Trailer Discussion

Jay

Hate to say it, but that FilmMusic guy was right, this is average Williams.

The most recognisable parts sound distinctly like War Horse.

How boring the film music world must be when people go ape over this.

I'm sure this score will still beat the shit out of the new Hobbit score

at least it sound better than the music in the hobbit trailer.

and no corny song.

yes.

And hobbit, being a derivative, should not be eligible for the oscars, so instant win for williams :devil:

and no corny song.

Oh, Lukey, Lukey, Lukey... Aren't you tired of being wrong most of the time?

So what, Williams and spielberg care more for the music as to have actual score in their trailer?

:P

yes.

And hobbit, being a derivative, should not be eligible for the oscars, so instant win for williams :devil:

That would make no sense. Why can't The Hobbit be eligible but Return of the KIng can?

Well I can't ever expect the Oscars to make sense, thinking about it.

That gets a big, fat LOL from me. Like Lincoln isn't derivative.

and no corny song.

The Hobbit trailer beats the living crap out of this one. At least the Dwarf Song is original, compared to this piece, where you think Williams used early sketches from War Horse and slightly modified it.

I like what I'm hearing, but not sure if I like what I'm seeing. Doesn't look like a very good or inspired film at all.

The music itself, while not exactly earth-shattering, is pleasing enough. The older I get the more I tend to enjoy those low brass scores (like this or SPR). That's all I have to say for now.

Karol

I saw or heard absolutely nothing that my aroused my interest. This is going to flop (outside the US).

it's really not for foreigners anyways.

I agree. Our history is so much more interesting. ;)

When will Spielberg make a movie about the black Pharaohs of Egypt (and who the normal Pharaohs wanted to erase from memory)?! You know, one of those grand 70mm spectacles with lots of extras like they made in the '60s? Is Charlton Heston still alive?

meroe.jpg

I predict Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screen Play, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Original Score, Best Editing, Best Cinematography, Best Makeup, and possibly a few other nods.

I agree. Our history is so much more interesting. ;)

Some of coolest American civilizations existed south of the border of the USA so they're ignored by Hollywood.

When will Spielberg make a movie about the black Pharaohs of Egypt?!

Films set in ancient times = (Y)

however

Ancient history films plagued by mistakes because they couldn't be bothered with what they were doing = :pukeface:

It's not like The Hobbit isn't going to sound like Howard Shore.

exactly, i mean in the same way that lincoln sounds williams, not war horse derivative.

ROTK won the Oscar two years after FOTR did. Your argument is invalid.

in a world were rules were followed i meant :P

You know that i wrote "should" for a reason.

Nice trailer although it doesn;t shopw much. In some way I had imagined Lincoln's voice differently (more a bass than a tenor - I am not familiar with Daniel Day Lewis). Music sounds powerful and crisp, and is as expected filled with sus4 chords.

The main worry I have with this movie is that it might be pretentious. It might be over-the-top sentimental. If an unknown director would have made it, it might have been more genuine. But let's not be prejudiced.

I really liked the part where Lincoln is lying in the bed and E.T. touches his head and says Ouch!, That brought tears to my eyes.

I wonder if we'll see John Wilkes Booth knock a hole in Lincoln's head with a walkie talkie?

That kinda gets right to the heart of it, doesn't it? Parts of LINCOLN might sound similar to WAR HORSE but pretty much every other movie's score sounds just like the one before it. It's like they have a computer database of music they just cut and paste into each film depending on genre. Ostinato string arpeggios over synth drums and the 'themes'-- if you can call them that-- are just long sustained brass chords. Complaining about Williams being repetitive in this environment is the height of irony.

People are getting carried away with the word "derivative" here. The Hobbit you would expect to sound stylistically like The Lord of the Rings. It's the same composer, same universe, and an extension of the same story. That's like saying The Empire Strikes Back is derivative of Star Wars.

Williams' Lincoln isn't derivative of his War Horse anymore than Copland's "Appalachian Spring" is derivative of "Rodeo". It's his stylistic tendencies within a particular vein of story telling. His music seems very appropriate in this instance.

The main worry I have with this movie is that it might be pretentious. It might be over-the-top sentimental.

It might even be execrable.

Good to see you have extended your vocabulary :)

The main worry I have with this movie is that it might be pretentious. It might be over-the-top sentimental.

I like to modulate my word choice, if you will.

Regarding the similarities to War Horse, there's almost always bleed over between subsequent scores of roughly similar genre. It's happened throughout Wiliams's career. It's inevitable. You are where you are in your artistic journey.

I find it funny to hear the actors in the trailer acting the hell out of some cheesy lines.

Unlike the Star Wars prequels where they give the most wooden possible readings of their cheesy lines.

I like to modulate my word choice, if you will.

I must compliment you with your excellent choice.

People are getting carried away with the word "derivative" here. The Hobbit you would expect to sound stylistically like The Lord of the Rings. It's the same composer, same universe, and an extension of the same story. That's like saying The Empire Strikes Back is derivative of Star Wars.

When i say derivative, i mean a sequel score that while implementing new material, relies on the previous film themes.

In this instance, ESB is derivative of SW, since it uses the force theme, leia's theme, lukes theme, ROTJ* even more so, and so on.

The hobbit wil be the same.

this is different in my mind than a composer's style or 'sound'

* I think both ROTJ and ROTK are so great and excellent because they intertwine the themes from the whole trilogy in a single entity. i love them.

Some of the lines in the trailer might sound prophetic, self-aware and ponderous, but they're also handpicked for a trailer, and that's exactly the way they're supposed to come across. Within the film, though, they may sound more natural when surrounded by some context.

In some way I had imagined Lincoln's voice differently (more a bass than a tenor - I am not familiar with Daniel Day Lewis).

The Lincoln stereotype is a baritone, but the real Lincoln was known to be a tenor.

where do people get this idea of sentimentality. Lincoln's end was brutal and terrible. There is nothing sentimental about it.

The American civil war was far more deadly to the US than either world war and the brother against brother battles were bloodly nasty affairs.

History has build up Lincoln into almost something more than human. It's like he was simply a poem walking around in human skin. I think that because of that, people tend to forget that he had a very tragic personal life, tumultuous presidency, and was assassinated.

Yes, and his motivations for emancipation were certainly mixed. Although he hated slavery, he didn't believe that blacks were truly equal to whites, and advocated that they be relocated to their supposed native countries after abolition. Most portrayals of Lincoln, and this one I suspect, portray him as a godly figure completely immune to the racism of the day.

I'm listening to the trailer on a loop and I think I really want to listen to this score.

What's with Tommy Lee Jones' wig? Please!

Perhaps I have lost sight of what is sarcasm on this board and what is not. Jones is playing Taddeas Lewis, who wore a wig in real life. It is not supposed to look perfectly natural. ps. Washington also wore a piece.