Lincoln - Theatrical Trailer Discussion

Jay

For a long time I felt theme built up to something great and then deflated.

Now it's a score I enjoy.

For a long time I was disappointed that the music as we hear in the trailer... the first part and the second part aren't heard back to back on the OS album. In fact, they are taken from 2 completely different tracks. For a long time I couldn't reconcile myself with that fact, especially because I've seen the trailer like 100 times before the movie opened and the soundtrack was released.

But I am not sure what you mean by "deflated"...

Now I enjoy the whole movie and the soundtrack as they are. Certainly one of JW's stronger entries, not just in recent years, but of his entire career.

Like I said somewhere before, I really hope Lincoln includes at least 1 strong mind-blowing track... either the "Main Theme" or the "End credits," if possible.

Kinda like in Saving Private Ryan, with "Hymn to the Fallen" or Seven Years in Tibet with the track of the same title.

Is that too much to hope for?

There is somehow a strange sense of defeat or gleeful schadenfreude on the MB concerning JWs music for Lincoln, expecting it to be a failure or boring. I can't understand the tired cynicism surrounding the score but then again I am one of those hopeless JW enthusiasts, Keeper of the Faith. ;)

I can understand how the film might not appeal to all Jwfans but the score is a rarity. John's productivity is now low and we're not assured of any more scores at this point. Each score should be treasured from this point forward.

I can't think of a single JW score that hasn't done that

You're right! I guess I am hoping that that doesn't change now....

I can understand how the film might not appeal to all Jwfans but the score is a rarity. John's productivity is now low and we're not assured of any more scores at this point. Each score should be treasured from this point forward.

:thumbup:

Of course each score is treasures. I haven't read a post showcasing Schadenfreude.

But even though Williams needs to be honoured, the music itself may still be average. It has nothing to do with disrespect towards JW.

Simply put, I don't have to love every Williams piece just because he's old and accomplished many things in the past.

There's a bunch of Williams scores from the 80's and 90's that only have a few highlights and mostly subdued underscore. Presumed Innocent, The River, Rosewood,Sleepers,Amistad,Angela's Ashes,SPR...

I think this will be along those lines. I expect the Finale and End Credits to be the "keepers". Then he's write a concert piece not on the c.d.

But it's true , we should treat every new Williams score as though it could be the last one

I'd be interested in any movie JW scores, but I'm actually very interested in this subject matter. It's a period of history I'm largely unfamiliar with and I hope this project will awake in me a surge of enthusiasm for the subject. I'm also very interested in understanding the reach of Lincoln's legacy

I am more optimistic than that towards this score. In the trailer I hear a sad piano, a tragic chorus and a rousing fanfare, seems to me like an interesting range.

I'd be interested in any movie JW scores, but I'm actually very interested in this subject matter. It's a period of history I'm largely unfamiliar with and I hope this project will awake in me a surge of enthusiasm for the subject. I'm also very interested in understanding the reach of Lincoln's legacy

Yes this happens to me as well. I'm like "what's interesting about this?". I want the film to speak for itself, to tell me "see, this was interesting!".

There's a bunch of Williams scores from the 80's and 90's that only have a few highlights and mostly subdued underscore. Presumed Innocent, The River, Rosewood,Sleepers,Amistad,Angela's Ashes,SPR...

I think this will be along those lines. I expect the Finale and End Credits to be the "keepers". Then he's write a concert piece not on the c.d.

But it's true , we should treat every new Williams score as though it could be the last one

Tastes are varied, of course, but you've listed several of my all time favorites

I must say i am much more interested in 'Lincoln' than I was in 'War Horse'. Looking back, WH was too predictable and too sentimental. The fact that Lincoln is rooted in history makes I can better 'connect' to it, I think. I feel the same about the music, WH feels a bit superficial, while Lincioln has potential to be really gripping.

WWI the forgotten war.

War Horse tells the tale of a surviving horse, a rarity. 8 milliion horses were killed in WWI on both sides.

In the American Civil war estimates of 1.5 million horses died, but best I can see is Officially less than 80,000 on both sides died.

• 7 years later...