Great Williams buildups

Gruesome Son of a Bitch

Examples:

All of Planting the Charges, preparing for the TIE Fighter Attack, Belly of the Steel Beast's opening and that pure sex equivalent in Indy's Very First Adventure around 3:50 where he takes the cross.

Love.

The Last Battle aka The Battle of Yavin.

Short Round Helps/Indy Takes Charge.

The Rescue/Bike Chase/Saying Goodbye

Chasing Rockets (!)

The Emperor Provokes Luke/The Ewok Battle

Father and Son/The Fleet Goes Into Hyperspace

Rescue from Cloud City/Hyperspace. Nearly all 9 minutes of it. Rarely has there been a continuous piece of prominently written (i.e. noticeable) film music that manages to build intension consistently for several minutes straight. (The climax of Goldsmith's Total Recall as well, and perhaps that of Rambo 2).

I also like how the final section in Summon the Heroes keeps building by adding counterpoints.

Rescue from Cloud City/Hyperspace. Nearly all 9 minutes of it. Rarely has there been a continuous piece of prominently written (i.e. noticeable) film music that manages to build intension consistently for several minutes straight. (The climax of Goldsmith's Total Recall as well, and perhaps that of Rambo 2).

Yes! This piece doesn't get discussed nearly enough! I think it is the highlight of the score.

My favorite by far is "Incident on Isla Nublar" from Jurassic Park. The chord progression and orchestration are brilliantly suspenseful.

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull features a greatly underrated "build-up," I think on Track 13 of the commercial release. One my favorites of his career, actually. Haven't listened to it for awhile, but I think it begins highly reminiscent of "The Intersection Scene" before taking a very different direction.

"The Map Room: Dawn" contains one of Williams' very best buildups...

This.

Plus, after just listening to The Fury recently, I would say the main title, especially the album version, is a great build.

• 3 weeks later...

There's only one...and it's in Imperial Attack from Star Wars.

Yes.

"A New Hope and End Credits"

for me, everything is incredible build up to that 11:17 mark where it reprises to the main theme.

that part gives me the tingles, love it.

And yes. Also, I believe in the End Credits of Munich there is a dramatic rest right before the big crescendo at the end and my heart stops every time during that rest and then the following measures are just so powerful, very moving especially when taking into account the subject matter of Munich.

....I don't listen to the original album, I listen to the RCA.. and on my CD's Imperial Attack is only 6 minutes long.

Oh... I seem to have have mixed up two tracks. I never had the original album, and apparently haven't memorised the track titles of the RCA that well anymore. I somehow assumed we were talking about that other track.

Imperial Attack is the cue right after the main title, from when the rebels are preparing for the stormtroopers to board, and to when the star destroyer leaves Tatooine's orbit.

Listened to the last sequence of E.T. today in the car. I was reminded of this thread while listening to the buildup at the end of "The Rescue", leading into "The Bicycle Chase." It's filled with such fun nervous energy. I love it.

Leaving Hogwarts from HP1, combined with the ending from Reunion of Friends from HP2 - that would have been ideal. The more bombastic ending sounds far better than the resolved suspension retardation that was used in the original.

Leaving Hogwarts from HP1, combined with the ending from Reunion of Friends from HP2 - that would have been ideal. The more bombastic ending sounds far better than the resolved suspension retardation that was used in the original.

I like the original better than the bombast

:blink: The original is a masterpiece.

Personally, I enjoy the ending of "Reunion of Friends" a lot more if I imagine it as the end of the credits to a Williams-scored DH2 or something, rather than remembering what it really is: the score for a craptastic ending to a craptastic film.

And you've been to the future and have heard it, have you? You do not have JLB's connections.

And besides, isn't every minute, every note, and every rest of Our Lord And Savior Maestro's Musicwriting big and amazing in and of itself? Have you lost the faith?

The wonderful build in "The Idol's Temple" when Indy is approaching the idol is an unsurpassed gem. And talking about that cue, I've always loved the (unconscious?) homage to Herrmann's North by Northwest:

The whole finale of the Black Sunday. Awesomely tense and nail bitingly exciting.