The Terminal - Was Christian Clemmensen correct..?

Sandor

Christian Clemmensen gave The Terminal a five-star rating over at Filmtracks.com back in 2004.

I always thought that rating was a tad high for that score.

But this past weekend I saw the movie for the first time and you know what: CC was right.

The score is actually amazing and its effect in the film is fantastic and harkens back to Williams' use of themes from his glory days. The central piece, Viktor Narkovski's theme, is one of those great musical creations which - like The Raiders' March or Vader's Theme - becomes the perfect aural representation of a character. The secundary theme, the love theme, is one of Williams' greatest love themes IMO. Other musical themes and ideas have a very effective European flavour to it. The arrangements - especially of the Viktor Narkovski-material - are superb.

Too bad the movie is often criticized and not very popular...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really do think that you have to have to see the film to fully appreciate this score.

it's the first JW score I fell in love with. viktor's theme is indeed perfect in the way that it represents and captures the character, it's really fun and whenever I hear it, moments of his adorableness in the film always pops up in my head. and the love theme, with its utmost effectiveness and profound genuinity never fails to give me goosebumps.

possibly spielberg's most underrated film as well. it's in my top 3 of his.

The Terminal is a lovely score with a wonderfully evocative main theme that captures humor and determination in equal measure and features those pitch perfect solos by Emily Bernstein. The slightly jazzy love theme is also quite adorable in its old fashioned romance, the Jazz Autographs especially a great extended concert version of the idea. One of my favourite moments on the album is however the heartbreakingly aching rendition of the Homesickness theme in the Krakhozia National Anthem and Homesickness. The accordion just melts my heart every time with the absolutely spot on sense of nostalgia Williams conjures. It is one of those wonderful Williams moments, where he comes up with such a singular piece of musical magic. Many people might equate this score most of all with Viktor's Theme but Williams offers so many great and small unique moments throughout that are delightful to hear, some continuing stylistically his old habits and others sport surprising sounds or instrumental colors and quirky melodies.

It is truly as Spielberg says in the liner notes, a feel good score, at least for me it is. :)

I just can believe any John Williams fan would pass on linstening a score from him.

You can always decide you dont like it and never listen to it again afterwards...

THIS. x100000

It's just not this one score I've avoided this long. It's also Amistad, Angela's Ashes, Stepmom, Always, and Tintin.

Whoops. I also left off Sleepers, Nixon, War of the Worlds, Sabrina, JFK, Nixon, Born on the Fourth of July, The River, Accidental Tourist, The Missouri Breaks, Minority Report, Presumed Innocent, and Rosewood.

It's just not this one score I've avoided this long. It's also Amistad, Angela's Ashes, Stepmom, Always, and Tintin.

Amazing, most amazing.

I can see a pattern there... BUT HECK, where does Tintin fit there? Really?

This is one of my favorite score CDs to listen to consistently in the last 10 years for Williams, and I think that has a lot to do with the different sounds that the score offers. The wonderful love theme is among his best. "Jazz Autographs" is one of my favorite cues. I also think the movie is quite lovely. The score I would give a solid 4 star rating (out of 5). That love theme really is terrific.

Ah, I'm so happy you started this thread, Roald. Thanks.

'The Terminal' is a fantastic score. It's been a while since I listened to it beginning to end but it's a score with plenty of themes, one-off melodies, heart and a lot of class. And whilst the variations on Victor's theme are subtle - not departing too much from the concert version orchestrations - there's variety enough for me.

Just returned home from work tonight and, for whatever reason, decided to listen to 'Schindler's List' but that's about to change.

Cheers,

APBez

Whoops. I also left off Sleepers, Nixon, War of the Worlds, Sabrina, JFK, Nixon, Born on the Fourth of July, The River, Accidental Tourist, The Missouri Breaks, Minority Report, Presumed Innocent, and Rosewood.

Good God.

Love the score myself. Although the album has the same problems as JP IMO.

This was one of my very first John Williams scores, along with Jurassic Park. As a jazz lover myself, I inmedately fell in love with both the movie and the score. It feels like it's written directly from the heart, and to be heard from there only. You have to approach this score kinda like you would approach War Horse: Knowing that this is a letter of love to some of Williams idols, in this particular case resulting in some of the most exquisite and delicate jazz I've heard from Johnny since his very early days on the film scoring world.

It's a score that makes me smile from beggining to end. Such innocence and honesty is not ofently heard in live-action films.

I always absolutely loved this score.

It really is a magical score. The ultimate feel-good Williams score. You just can't go wrong with it. I think Christian was spot-on with his review.

And Wojo...you're avoiding a lot of Williams great gems. Would it be so wrong to just give them chance and then put them aside if you don't like them?

Clemmensen is never wrong. Ryan Keaveney, on the other hand...

Is he still alive? I thought he was swallowed up by the internet, never to return.

Oh wait, it was his never ending fiddling with Cinemusic, which is still not finished and site has been down for ages.