Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

You'll end up listening to it Chaac. You're one of us!

And I think its working for me as well, if it'll just stop lagging (stupid wi-fi here....)

It's working for me now, maybe their server was just slammed

Yeah probably so.

You'll end up listening to it Chaac. You're one of us!

And I think its working for me as well, if it'll just stop lagging (stupid wi-fi here....)

He is weak!

I am pretty sure there will be a Dwarven prologue based on the first track. Sounds like brilliant new development of the Dwarven material to me there on My Dear Frodo track. :)

Just listening to it streaming from the Empire website. It's enjoyable stuff. If you like the lyrical, pastoral quality of the work then maybe check out the work of composer George Butterworth whose work this occasionally reminds me of in its gentler moments.

JC

Shore's trailer orchestration of Over the Misty Mountains Cold comes in very much the same form in Over Hill. Has the same feel as when Fellowship leaves Rivendell in FotR. :)

I've just heard the track which offers a full orchestral rendition of the song heard in the teaser trailer a year ago. The piece certainly conjures a sense of heroism and of journeying; it expresses that sense of resolve and determination that can make for such an appealing sound.

Shore's trailer orchestration of Over the Misty Mountains Cold comes in very much the same form in Over Hill. Has the same feel as when Fellowship leaves Rivendell in FotR. :)

It's funny how at the time we automatically assumed that it was Shore's melody and there couln't be any other explanation whatsoever.

á la the ring goes south? yeeeeeees! brilliant.

Just listening to it streaming from the Empire website. It's enjoyable stuff. If you like the lyrical, pastoral quality of the work then maybe check out the work of composer George Butterworth whose work this occasionally reminds me of in its gentler moments.

Yep, there are quite a few nods to English pastoral composers, especially during the Shire sequences.

However, one thing that jumped once more to my attention is how much Shore's LOTR/Hobbit writing contains nods and references to John Barry's fluid, melliflous stylings.

As for songs that share a theme with the score:

Okay, that might be cheating.

But :crymore:

It's not cheating! I remember how this song touched me when I heard it. It used to be my favourite of the trilogy (now it's Gollum's Song).

The atmosphere of Gollum's Song is amazing. I find the opening to be quite inspiring.

After a listen of the OST from the Empire Magazine's site I can say this is definitely among the top scores of the year (well this went without saying really). Shore's return to Middle Earth is quite seamless and while he re-evokes the old themes at appropriate places he is set out to create something new and it shows in the number of new ideas. The new Shire material is suitably connected to what has come before but takes a new playful and adventurous turn without forgetting the gentle tenderness, which made this music so touching in LotR. Dwarven music is as angular and stocky as the race, the choral work powerful, rhythmic and forceful, the themes heroic and noble, recalling music of Moria in places, the new main cast giving the composer ample material to continue to develop the Dwarven musical world. New evils are represented by what sounds like offshoots from the same Mordorian motif family, altered yet recognizable branch of wickedly oppressive and driving ideas that characterized Orcs and servants of Evil in the LotR trilogy. And I believe I could hear a theme for Smaug, the Dwarves' far off nemesis, in the mix as well.

I can't wait to get the soundtrack album so I can dig deeper into this musical tale! :)

The whole score is up on Emfuckingpire?

I will simply say YES. YES IT IS.

And that said I will abstain from any more listens before I get my copy in December. I have been over spoiled by all this soundtrack promotion galore!

The atmosphere of Gollum's Song is amazing. I find the opening to be quite inspiring.

I only like the instrumental version.

In Dreams is my favorite.

I think I haven't heard this intrumental version.

:music: Quaritch Down

It is on the Silve Screen Prague Philharmonic Orchestra LotR compilation Music from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

I'm listening to the stream now. Is that different orchestration in 'Old Friends' to the version we've heard? I know the version on Empire is from the standard edition and we've heard the extended version but something sounded different in there.

Actually I thought the same thing when I heard it. But I can't be sure as the music in the Empire Magazine's player plays gapless and it could be the next track's opening that is playing and it is because of that it sounds like there is different music there. I am not that familiar yet with the music that I could say one way or the other with certainty.

It is on the Silve Screen Prague Philharmonic Orchestra LotR compilation Music from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy.

I'll look for it, even though I think taking out the voice of the song is just like taking a trumpet player out of a trumpet solo just because you like what's under it.

I've been away and not been able to follow the thread, my goodness so much has happened!

Could someone explain who wrote the dwarven melody first heard in the trailer? Did Neil Finn or did he base his song off a Shore melody? Thanks!

So I wonder if what we heard on the website is an alternate, or are there differences beyond length between the versions on each edition? Interesting :P. Also, 200th post! :woop: Seems like such a small milestone compared to others but hey!

I'll look for it, even though I think taking out the voice of the song is just like taking a trumpet player out of a trumpet solo just because you like what's under it.

If I remember correctly the voice was replaced by violin in Gollum's Song on the compilation.

I've been away and not been able to follow the thread, my goodness so much has happened!

Could someone explain who wrote the dwarven melody first heard in the trailer? Did Neil Finn or did he base his song off a Shore melody? Thanks!

Doug Adams says:

The melody of "Misty Mountains" is a composition that Plan 9 and David Long created for the Dwarves to sing in Bag End. (We've all seen the scene in the 2011 teaser.) It was a good tune -- nice and moody and fairly malleable -- so Shore wove it into the score in a few key spots. In my opinion, he really makes it his own, but I guess I'm biased! Anyway, the variations are stunning: all sorts of shifts in harmony, meter, and melodic contour. Shore was extremely careful to make his settings fit in with the rest of his Dwarf music so that there's a beautiful cohesion to the work.

The song at the end of the end of the album was a collaboration between Neil Finn and David Long of Plan 9. Shore was not directly involved with this song.

Hope this clear everything up!

http://www.musicoflo...mment-704278866

I think the voice was replaced by violin in Gollum's Song on the compilation.

Ah I get it.

I have to say it was almost nerve wracking in places to listen to the new score as the track titles gave expectation of certain old themes returning. Riddles in the Dark for instance was begging for Gollum's themes to appear and after some quite masked variations and teasing Shore finally produces the Pity of Gollum melody. What a lovely moment! And then he reiterates it in the Brass Buttons. :)

But...but...after listening to roughly half of it at work...it isn't really great, isn't it? If we for a moment forget all the delusional hype, i found it musically meandering in quite a few spots, whereas the good ideas are rather thinly spread. At least until now.