Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

Doug, are you doing those "deluxe notes" on the special edition?

Karol

Yes, I did one set of liners for the Standard Edition and another for the Deluxe. It was an absolute joy!

Can you tell us, are the Deluxe liner notes expanded in comparison with the regular release? A bit like Annotated scores VS the finished book? Or do we have to wait and see? :)

Doug, are you doing those "deluxe notes" on the special edition?

Karol

Yes, I did one set of liners for the Standard Edition and another for the Deluxe. It was an absolute joy!

Can you tell us, are the Deluxe liner notes expanded in comparison with the regular release? A bit like Annotated scores VS the finished book? Or do we have to wait and see? :)

I'm honestly not sure what I'm allowed to say. Uh, I guess the Deluxe notes are ... more deluxe. I can't get sued for repurposing an adjective, right? :)

Well that offers us a hint and leaves us with a good dose of healthy anticipation until December! :)

Not only do we get to hear the new music, we also get insightful commentary on it right upon the initial soundtrack release. This is a very ambitious and wonderful soundtrack release indeed.

This is GREAT!!! I was going to complain about something but I thought "hey, at least this is hundreds of times better than what you were ever expecting to get for any film score in its first release" so I decided to simply shut up for the moment.

I want this NOW.

Awesome Doug, that's great to hear you wrote notes for both editions!

This cements that I will indeed be buying both versions :)

I'm looking at the list of scores I want to order (both new and old) this year and it's length frightens me.

Karol

My own list rather frustrates me as I can't afford but the most critical of releases, this autumn those being Lincoln and The Hobbit.

I'm looking at the list of scores I want to order (both new and old) this year and it's length frightens me.

Karol

My own list rather frustrates me as I can't afford but the most critical of releases, this autumn those being Lincoln and The Hobbit.

I actually still can, but it is a lot of money regardless.

Karol

Doug, since you've written the notes, that means you've heard the music. Since you've heard the music, that means these CDs have been finalized for a little while now. Therefore, its probably safe to assume that they were assembled before the full scoring sessions were complete, right?

In other words, its likely that after the CD sequences were determined, Shore still kept writing new music and revisions to existing pieces to be used in the final film for a little while after. So the OST could very well contains alternate versions of things just like the LOTR OSTs, right?

Doug, since you've written the notes, that means you've heard the music. Since you've heard the music, that means these CDs have been finalized for a little while now. Therefore, its probably safe to assume that they were assembled before the full scoring sessions were complete, right?

In other words, its likely that after the CD sequences were determined, Shore still kept writing new music and revisions to existing pieces to be used in the final film for a little while after. So the OST could very well contains alternate versions of things just like the LOTR OSTs, right?

I have heard the score; that I can confirm. I wouldn't have felt comfortable writing about it otherwise.

Other than that, I'll just say: it’s rarely safe to assume … ;)

Hmmm. So maybe the recording sessions were finished before the CD was assembled then? Interesting. I figured they were still recording now.

I am tempted to ask: "what it's like as compared to the trilogy?". But, I guess, that's not the kind of thing you would say at this stage. ;)

So I won't ask.

Oh I just did.

Karol

Doug, any idea why only 2 of the 6 "Special Edition-only" tracks were inserted into the flow of the main score, with 4 appearing at the end after the main presentation? Did Shore prefer it that way for a specific reason? Or was it a Water Tower Records decision?

Doug, any idea why only 2 of the Special Edition-only tracks were inserted into the flow of the main score, instead of all 6? Did Shore prefer to have 4 at the end for some reason?

Because they were edited out pieces of cues not on the SE?

They were on the OST but with parts (micro)edited out

Fantastic news - the 2 CDs is a real surprise. Consider the SE pre-ordered :)

I'm also really happy to see that the Misty Mountains song from the trailer appears to be on here. I love that theme, and the arrangement is so magical.

Well the actual song could be considerably longer in the film itself and that is what is heard on the album. I doubt the Over the Misty Mountains Cold trailer version made it to the album in that original form.

Doug, any idea why only 2 of the 6 "Special Edition-only" tracks were inserted into the flow of the main score, with 4 appearing at the end after the main presentation? Did Shore prefer it that way for a specific reason? Or was it a Water Tower Records decision?

It's presented this way for a specific musical reason. It will all make perfectly logical sense.

I too hope Shore used that theme in the score itself as it is another great and evocative and not to mention hummable idea. :)

It's presented this way for a specific musical reason. It will all make perfectly logical sense.

Howard Shore and Doug Adams. I might have known. ;)

This could easily be the best soundtrack release ever.

In times when physical score releases are on the retreat to the digital realm, this is absolutely wonderful.

Could that mean... concert versions of themes? This I would like very much!

That or demos or early versions of themes?

This is really going to be an agonizing month and a half wait for the release date now. Without a doubt one of the most if not the most anticipated soundtrack release of the year for me.

Could be score tracks arranged as concert suites. There were none for LotR though.

Well the LotR OSTs had many pieces arranged as suites or tone poem like pieces that were comprised of music from different parts of the film.