Howard Shore's An Unexpected Journey (Hobbit Part 1)

Jay

Yeah, I think that's quite a stretch.

But man, that bit of Goblintown reminded me how fantastic that recording is. At least compared to the awful BotFA

Was BOFA RECORDED poorly, or recorded fine then MIXED poorly for CD?

Like do the end credits sound OK in the film itself?

Well we know they tried a whole different recording setup from the other films, so it might have had some role to play in it.

Has this already been mentioned? Or does no one see the similarity between Goblintown and Laketown? It gives the opening of UnderHill some more meaning to me, and I find it less of a problem now that it doesn't recur.

I noticed it a few weeks ago, didn't mention it for fear of seeming stupid ? but yes, I see it.

Me and you can get along!

We deserve credits in Doug's book for uncovering such a clever connection.

I want to hear a proper logic and explanation behind such a connection thank you very much, before we raise you to the immortal demi-god status of book credited fans.

• 2 months later...

I'm almost certain the book was planned as soon as Shore signed the contract for his Hobbit scores, even though most likely no contracts were signed for the book yet.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

What's up with the breathing at 1:52 The Hill of Sorcery?

Do we think Shore wrote this into the score to add atmosphere? Or was it simply picked up by the mics and they decided not to edit it out, again perhaps for atmosphere?

Musicians need to breathe too and that's exactly what the mics captured with that small human quality of people having to take a breath after a long continuous phrase. I don't think there is additional atmospheric consideration there on Shore's part, just capturing a performance where occasionally such things are recorded along with sheet music shuffling and creaking chairs etc.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I like the occasion breathing noise of chair creak. It reminds me that this is music performed by human beings.

Hmm. Do you ever like a reminder that medicine or dentistry is performed by human beings? 

4 hours ago, Woj said:

Hmm. Do you ever like a reminder that medicine or dentistry is performed by human beings? 

In Finland we are constantly reminded of this when news surface of malpractice or fake doctors exposed or when the cracks of the healthcare systems are revealed through patients wrongly diagnosed or treated.

As to the extraneous sessions noise, I don't mind it if it is not constant. A chair creak or sound of a brass player taking a breath after playing a lengthy phrase might have no place in the music as written but it is human activity and if they can't remove it from the recording then so be it. I find something like Glenn Gould humming or whining over his Bach Goldberg Variations performances much more distracting than some of these involutary noises that end on the recording by accident.

I noticed that a while ago, only because I always turn the volume up for that section :P I quite like it, to be honest. Not entirely sure why, but still...

The sound of a wind player taking a breath during a solo can be musically significant to the phrase being played. It definitely adds to the human touch. A fidgeting chair or stand is just an anomaly. 

But 

When 

Children 

Take 

Breaths

After

Every

Note 

They

Play

It's 

Annoying. 

• 4 weeks later...

Imagine the frustration had Shore's original intentions been presented live at the world premiere, then the known version was released theatrically? Being there would have been quite the unique experience.

And I think attributing it to the post-production difficulties is a little speculative. These were only pitches, and they may have been nixed at a much earlier stage. After all, it is unorthodox in this day and age and has the potential to go wrong, which I imagine would figure into the thinking of WB going into the world premiere.

• 4 weeks later...

Is anybody else annoyed by the ticking of what sounds like a metronome at the beginning of "Moon Runes"? :mellow:

2 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

Hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out. Sounds like some players shuffling around or non-musical noises the instruments are making.

It's the click track bleeding over from headphones. Often happens during delicate passages in recording sessions. Check out the first cue in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade sometime.

The Indiana Jones one is so loud, you wonder why they didn't have the headphones replaced with ones that don't bleed and start over and record it again!

(I suppose the answer is "time is money")

9 minutes ago, Doug Adams said:

It's the click track bleeding over from headphones. Often happens during delicate passages in recording sessions. Check out the first cue in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade sometime.

That is a very audible example. I hardly hear the one in AUJ.

But good to know Kühni wasn't hearing things. ;) 

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Indiana Jones one is so loud, you wonder why they didn't have the headphones replaced with ones that don't bleed and start over and record it again!

(I suppose the answer is "time is money")

Tricky to have the click loud enough for the musicians to hear it and not bleed through.

Wrong.

The orchestra follows the click track, as does the conductor. A human conductor can never get the timing precisely right for definite sync points, and certainly not in the tight schedule.

Click tracks are around since decades. Nowadays they are done digitally, in early days, they were created by punching holes into the actual film reel, if I'm not confusing things.

Unless you're called John Williams, and Steven Spielberg tells you to fuck the clicks because he will edit his money sequence to fit your Music.