JWFAN Members Top 10 John Williams scores lists

JoeinAR

9 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

When you said " you call Stanley and Iris minor!?"

There is major and minor and everything in between.

If I say Stanley and Iris is not minor, it doesn't mean it's up there too with eg. Star Wars.

6 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Heartbeeps, Cinderella Liberty, and Black Sunday are Top 10 material!

I indeed appreciate Cinderella, this score was released in 1973 when the movie came out.

For the two others, the scores where not released when the movies came out.

These score where reissued many years later thanks to the effort of specialized labels, in these case, Varèse and FSM.

Even if these scores are now welcome in any connaisseur collection, they will never become top scores among the great public.

Like I always say: we can't rewrite history!

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2012 at 10:38 PM, Tom said:

1. Star Wars (a new hope)

2. Raiders

3. ET

4. Memoirs (though admittedly, I treat the suite for cello, whiich I think is lyrically breathtaking, as from the score)

5. Home Alone

6. Born on the Fourth

7. Harry Potter and SS

8. The Fury

9. Schindler's List

10. Tintin (brilliant orchestra fun that is pure and vibrant is never unoriginal)

Over four years later, my revised list is very different:

1)  ESB

2)  Temple of Doom

3)  Memoirs, though I continue to treat the suite as part of the score.

4)  Lincoln (restrained, sincere, and just plain lovely)

5)  HPSS

6)  Tintin

7)  ET

8)  American Journey (if that is eligible--everyone needs to listen again to the glorious final movement)

9)  Home Alone

10) JFK (re-listening to the concert suite recently reminded me just how powerful of a score this is)

3 hours ago, Romão said:

So? It's a personal top 10, it's not suposed to reflect popular consensus. Honestly, that kind of thinking boggles my mind

I deserve the right to judge the fact that if you include such an "unreleased" score in a top 10, you probably lack a little bit of perspective on John Williams's long and impressive career.

But you have perfecly the right to love these score above all the other ones. Yes, at the end, it's personal.

Blacklist! ;)

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

My only regret is that numbers 1 through 10 of my list were not WAR HORSE.

I like War Horse, but every time I listen to it, I think of Far and Away.  It would make a top 30 list. 

14 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I deserve the right to judge the fact that if you include such a score in a top 10, you probably lack a little bit of perspective on John Williams's long and impressive career.

Loving  a less popular score more than the big guns makes someobody lacking in perspective of John Williams' career? Do you really want to go down that road?

19 minutes ago, Tom said:

I like War Horse, but every time I listen to it, I think of Far and Away.  It would make a top 30 list. 

I prefer it to Far and Away.  War Horse was number 11 or 12 on my list, just missed the big post.  I love War Horse.

29 minutes ago, Romão said:

Loving  a less popular score more than the big guns makes someobody lacking in perspective of John Williams' career? Do you really want to go down that road?

I talk about making a Top 10 list, I don't care what you love or not.

Blacklist!!!! In bold and underlined!!! :P

2 hours ago, Romão said:

Nothing of the sort. It just means they don't have as much perspective on John Williams' career as Bespin does. 

All I really know is that E.T. would be my #1.  After that, I don't think it would be a useful exercise to try and narrow down to a Top 10.

I like the system of using tiers, maybe I'll sort them into tiers.

20 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Nothing of the sort. It just means they don't have as much perspective on John Williams' career as Bespin does. 

Fuck, I mean, for a Top 10, can you please chose a score among the ones the master released on record?

And far as I know I never heard John Williams complains about the non-release of Heartbeeps or Black Sunday or Family Plot... and I never hear him playing a piece from those scores in public!

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

And far as I know I never heard John Williams complains about the non-release of Heartbeeps or Black Sunday or Family Plot... and I never hear him playing a piece from those scores in public!

He's not guessing at Williams' Top 10 of his own scores.  He's saying what his favorite scores are.  For pete's sake.

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He's not guessing at Williams' Top 10 of his own scores.  He's saying what his favorite scores are.  For pete's sake.

It's what I was saying, if those scores are in your top 10 favorite ones, maybe just lack perspective on JW's career... Maybe you don't know all his scores... the earlier ones, I don't know... but there is so much scores.. surely enough to make a Top 10 without necessarily includes the ones that where not released.

Arghhh those geeks!!!!

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Just put us out of our misery and tell us what our Top 10 should be, Bespin!

I didn't posted mine yet? :sarcasm:

I don't see why a score has to be released in order to count as someone's favourite. Surely, STORIA DI UNA DONNA is one such example.

As I said before, I separate strictly between 'soundtrack albums' and 'scores-in-film', which is why I have TWO lists that are quite different from each other.

23 minutes ago, Thor said:

I don't see why a score has to be released in order to count as someone's favourite.

You know, I'll take that one step further. I don't see why a score has to be written in order to count as someone's favorite. 

50 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Fuck, I mean, for a Top 10, can you please chose a score among the ones the master released on record?

I remember very well when Family Plot and Black Sunday were unreleased holy grails for many here

1 minute ago, Romão said:

I remember very well when Family Plot and Black Sunday were unreleased holy grails for many here

Yes I know, like Sugarland will be some day :-)

I didn't see it on any Top 10 list yet!

So  you are saying we can only have albums that were produced by Williams/the Studio around the time the film/show cam out and not by a specialty label after the fact in our top 10 lists?

45 minutes ago, Fennel Ka said:

So  you are saying we can only have albums that were produced by Williams/the Studio around the time the film/show cam out and not by a specialty label after the fact in our top 10 lists?

Blacklist! :)

47 minutes ago, Romão said:

So?

I just wanted to say that sometimes the "wow it's new!" effect can blind our taste momentarily.

Bespin, please let jwfanners be themselves and post whatever they like! :lol:

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I just wanted to say that sometimes the "wow it's new!" effect can blind our taste momentarily.

I perfectly agree with this!

Every time a new Williams score is released, and someone listens to some seconds, we get:

"Wow, this is the best score Williams ever written"

i understand the enthusiasm, but....