JWFAN Members Top 10 John Williams scores lists

JoeinAR

I will count it as my favorites (not what I think others think are better or worse, but rather what I like better), and I am counting them as "complete" scores; or as expanded as we know them in and out of the movie. Album respresentations are incomplete and unworthy of note other than an incomplete listening experience. They are worthy as that, but not worthy of counting towards how good or bad a whole score is. Unless that album IS the entire score... OR we have never HEARD the complete score outside of said album. Also, this has NOTHING to do with the movies! Some of the movies I like better than the scores, some of the scores I like better than the movies, and some... I have never seen the movie but love the score! Some would make it higher if I just count a few tracks off each, others rank high because as a whole they are deeper and make a better whole as an expanded and/or complete score (Revenge of the Sith, Phantom Menace).

Top ten is nearly impossible to me. I mean... VERY difficult. There are so many JW scores that I love. But... I'll try.

I always count franchises as one score with different chapters. If I count it that way, they go as follows:

1. The Star Wars Scores: a. Empire Strikes Back; b. Revenge of the Sith; c. Star Wars (AKA 'A New Hope'); d. The Phantom Menace; e. Return of the Jedi; f. Attack of the Clones

2. The Fury

3. The Indiana Jones Scores: a. Raiders of the Lost Ark; b. Temple of Doom; c. Last Crusade; d. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

4. The Jurassic Park Scores: a. The Lost Word; b. Jurassic Park

5. Superman Scores: a. [Contributions to] 'Quest for Peace'; b. The Movie

6. Hook

7. Far & Away

8. The Jaws Scores: a. Jaws 2; b. Jaws

9. E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial

10. Jane Eyre

Honorable mentions that are, in my opion... SO CLOSE to #11 that I seriously had a hard time not putting them at 10. Like 10.1, 10.2... GRRrrrrrr:

11. Images

12. Family Plot

13. A.I. - Artificial Intelligence

14. The Patriot

15. The Eiger Sanction

16. Empire of the Sun

17. The Witches of Eastwick

18. Schindler's List

19. Cinderella Liberty

20. 1941

21. Amazing Stories: The Mission

22. Black Sunday

23. The Towering Inferno

24. The Cowboys

25. Nixon

26. The Missouri Breaks

27. The Rare Breed

28. Always

29. Dracula

30. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The reason I list the series in groups? It's FAR easier for me to rank them. If you separate the film score series... it divides the list up more than my mind can wrap around... as it pushes some that I love a great deal out of the top-ten, hell... some even to the top TWENTY... that I greatly enjoy, and I HATE to do so! But here it is

1t. Star Wars - Empire Strikes Back

1t. Star Wars - Revenge of the Sith

1t. The Fury

4t. Raiders of the Lost Ark

4t. Star Wars (AKA Star Wars - A New Hope)

4t. Hook

7. Star Wars - The Phantom Menace

8. Jaws 2

9. Lost Word - Jurassic Park

10. Far & Away

This pushes several scores that I absolutely LOVE out of my top ten! Which then annoys and angers me, haha!

11. Star Wars - Return of the Jedi

12. Superman - The Quest For Peace (contributions)

13. Jane Eyre

14. E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial

15. Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom

16. Superman The Movie

17. Star Wars - Attack of the Clones

18. Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade

19. Images

20. Jurassic Park

21. Family Plot

22. A.I. - Artificial Intelligence

23. The Patriot

...and so on.

This would put the first Jurassic Park down into the twenties. The original Jaws down as well...into possibly the thirties.

Damn... I may go back and edit this... some of these depend on mood and if I recently listened to it or recently saw the movie. But they're pretty solid other tha a few here and there.

Thanks for a list Chris but for my purposes I will have to take ten, no ties so ESB gets the first spot, sits gets the 2nd. fury 3rd because that's the order you put in the ties

That's fine, and in a way, that is why I put them that way... close, but probably a 1a, 1b, 1c. With so many highly beloved scores, taking top ten is very difficult.

I know and I appreciate your list, I now have the Phantom Trio list intact. Original member lists are awesome

I prefer the second Phantom Zone trio, of which I too was a member

You were an original member of the Phantom Zone, you, CCC, and KM. I was the one who dubbed the three of you that.

The were the ones who set the tone of the MB, with their posts, their guidance, their wisdom and personality.

Sadly after the second Trio was broken, no one worthy hath come forward to fill the gap.

None of you.... None of you measure up!

I apologize for my otherwise belated participation on this thread, but I do have a very hard time making this kind of lists.

What is bellow is some of my favorite Williams' film scores, ten of them, selected in a somewhat arbitrary fashion... ten seems way to little for me. Also, the order, with maybe the exception of the top ones, is hardly a definitive one.

1. The Accidental Tourist

2. Angela's Ashes

3. Sabrina

4. JFK

5. Memoirs of a Geisha

6. Empire of the Sun

7. E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

8. Images

9. Sleepers

10. War of the Worlds

Again, some of the items in there, are in there because are scores I've been listening more of lately. Others are always in there. Others are hard picks... I love all of Williams' three Oliver Stone scores, and I look at them as almost one single entity, but to pick just one... I picked the last one I listened to a couple of weeks ago.

In no particular order:

Saving Private Ryan

Schindler's List

Jurassic Park

War Horse

The Adventures of Tintin

Home Alone

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Jaws

less chatter, more lists. Please

Is there a way to make another thread or page that is just the lists? Love the lists, the chatter...not so much.

1. Temple of Doom

2. Last Crusade

3. Home Alone

4. Jurassic Park

5. Hook

6. Superman

7. Empire Strikes Back

8. E.T.

9. Schindler's List

10. Memoirs of Geisha

Yes, big Indy fan - I listen to them all so much that they all seem separate. The last 4 or 5 could easily be swapped around, and replaced at any time. :)

Top Ten (in no order):

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Jaws

Angela's Ashes

The Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

JFK

The Reivers

Jurassic Park

E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial

Honorable Mention:

Hook

Seven Years in Tibet

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Star Wars—Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Presumed Innocent

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Images

Star Wars

Fun little exercise. I wanted to include a list of "The Next 10" because each of them also means a great deal to me and I saw fit to recognize, even though none of them made my final 10.

Ted

Are we talking about scores as presented on the commercial album release? Or as it is heard and works in the movie? Can a score be listed just because of a single oustanding cue, or is it about the overall score? Do we have to take recording and sound quality of the original recording into account?

Anyway, I chose to list my fav overall soundtrack albums with modern sound quality, regardless of how they work in the film, and therefore leave out ESB, Superman and a list of others.

1) Sabrina

2) Jurassic Park

3) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

4) Hook

5) Schindler's List

6) E.T. - The Extraterrestrial

7) Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace

8) Far and Away

9) Raiders of the Lost Ark

10) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

1) E.T - The Extra Terrestrial

2) Hook

3) Schindler's List

4) Superman

5) The Empire Strikes Back

6) Jurassic park

7) Indiana Jones and the temple of doom

8) Raiders of the Lost Ark

9) Home Alone

10) Harry Potter and the Sorcere's Stone

it would be fun to also vote for the 10 worst.

(maybe after 1975 and on, since I believe most of the scores in that list would be pre-Jaws)

I'm going to revisit my top 10 after Nov. 16th. It might see some changes.

I've been meaning to change mine as well. Not after November 16th, though.

Are we talking about scores as presented on the commercial album release? Or as it is heard and works in the movie? Can a score be listed just because of a single oustanding cue, or is it about the overall score? Do we have to take recording and sound quality of the original recording into account?

Anyway, I chose to list my fav overall soundtrack albums with modern sound quality, regardless of how they work in the film, and therefore leave out ESB, Superman and a list of others.

Just list your favorite scores. Not that complicated. You even took it a step further than Thor with that sound quality crap.

How anal. you should pick your top ten based on what you like not retarded technical issues.

How anal. you should pick your top ten based on what you like not retarded technical issues.

I am sorry, but my perception of a score is influenced by its recording quality. The dry and very 'direct' recordings of the 70ies are in no way comparable to the modern recordings. As we are talking about OST releases, it definately will be an issue for more people than just me.

My point of course is that what sense does it make if everybody is listing their scores based on different criteria? We cannot have sound discussions on these conditions. You call this 'anal' while you are clearly the one who does not think with his brain.

Btw mayeb you missed the fact that I did list my fav scores AND gave an explanation how I came to it.

You could have posted a "What's your favourite letter of the alphabet?" thread and you'd still have had a couple responses like that ;-)

Sure, it would depend on the context of the letter :)

I do find it bothersome that you worry about the sound quality over the actual music quality.

next you'll be saying I didn't like the quality of a particular movie because the theatre projection was inferior or the television channel was snowy or pixalating.

Still thanks for the list, the more the merrier.

1) Empire Strikes Back

2) Raiders of the Lost Ark

3) Jaws

4) Star Wars

5) Temple of Doom

6) Superman: the movie

7) Jurassic Park

8) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

9) Revenge of the Sith

10) E.T.

I do find it bothersome that you worry about the sound quality over the actual music quality.

next you'll be saying I didn't like the quality of a particular movie because the theatre projection was inferior or the television channel was snowy or pixalating.

It is not like that, but it does spoil the pleasure of listening especially when you're listening to good music, that the recording quality is not up to modern standards. E.g. I have tried to love Richard Strauss' own recording of the Alp Symphony, but it is unlistanable really, you hardly can hear the greatness of the music through all the distortions, while I love the piece. JWs older OST aren't that bad, but they aren't as crisp as e.g. his modern Sony recordings. I tend to judge the SW scores by their re-recordings by the BPO (Philips), which are much more enjoyable to listen to, and where the music really shines.

This was the exact matter that I had in mind when I made my remarks: may I judge the old SW scores based on the re-recordings? Anyway its not a big deal but when a thread is posted these kind of questions come up at least with me.

MSM, you just have to imagine how would the music as written sound in the perfect conditions.

I've been pu off by recordings more than once, but usually you can see if you like the music itself or not.

While I don't have top scores, I have top cues, tracks, and suites. It'll be more than ten, and chronological order of release. I'll also mention non-film scores in bold.

Unknown Album (1956) -

Hello (Piano Solo)

I Passed For White -

Intro, Main Theme, and Jazz Concert

Gidget Goes To Rome -

Main Theme

The Rare Breed -

Suite

Jane Eyre -

Main Theme

The Towering Inferno -

Main Theme

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind -

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind/When You Wish Upon A Star Medley

The Fury -

Death On The Carousel And End Titles

Star Wars Episode V : The Empire Strikes Back -

Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader's Trap/Departure Of Boba Fett Medley

Dracula -

Main Titles and Storm

Star Wars Episode VI : Return Of The Jedi -

Battle of Endor I Medley

Battle of Endor II Medley

Battle of Endor III Medley

Luke And Leia

Concerto For Tuba And Orchestra

Spacecamp -

Main Theme

The Witches Of Eastwick -

Seduction Of Suki And Ballroom Scene

Destruction Of Daryl

Born On The Fourth Of July -

Suite

Concerto For Bassoon And Orchestra (Five Sacred Trees)

Jurrassic Park -

Main Theme

Schindler's List -

Main Theme

Concerto For Cello And Orchestra

Summon The Heroes

Star Wars Episode I : The Phantom Menace -

Anakin's Theme

The Droid Invasion And Appearance Of Darth Maul

Duel Of The Fates

AI: Artificial Intelligence -

Where Dreams Are Born

Star Wars Episode II : Attack Of The Clones -

Love Pledge And The Arena

Concerto For Horn And Orchestra

Soundings

Star Wars Episode III : Revenge Of The Sith -

Anakin's Betrayal

Padme's Ruminations

Anakin's Dark Deeds

Enter Lord Vader

The Immolation Scene

A New Hope And End Credits

While I don't have top scores, I have top cues, tracks, and suites. It'll be more than ten, and chronological order of release. I'll also mention non-film scores in bold.

Unknown Album (1956) -

Hello (Piano Solo)

I Passed For White -

Intro, Main Theme, and Jazz Concert

Gidget Goes To Rome -

Main Theme

The Rare Breed -

Suite

Jane Eyre -

Main Theme

The Towering Inferno -

Main Theme

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind -

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind/When You Wish Upon A Star Medley

The Fury -

Death On The Carousel And End Titles

Star Wars Episode V : The Empire Strikes Back -

Carbon Freeze/Darth Vader's Trap/Departure Of Boba Fett Medley

Dracula -

Main Titles and Storm

Star Wars Episode VI : Return Of The Jedi -

Battle of Endor I Medley

Battle of Endor II Medley

Battle of Endor III Medley

Luke And Leia

Concerto For Tuba And Orchestra

Spacecamp -

Main Theme

The Witches Of Eastwick -

Seduction Of Suki And Ballroom Scene

Destruction Of Daryl

Born On The Fourth Of July -

Suite

Concerto For Bassoon And Orchestra (Five Sacred Trees)

Jurrassic Park -

Main Theme

Schindler's List -

Main Theme

Concerto For Cello And Orchestra

Summon The Heroes

Star Wars Episode I : The Phantom Menace -

Anakin's Theme

The Droid Invasion And Appearance Of Darth Maul

Duel Of The Fates

AI: Artificial Intelligence -

Where Dreams Are Born

Star Wars Episode II : Attack Of The Clones -

Love Pledge And The Arena

Concerto For Horn And Orchestra

Soundings

Star Wars Episode III : Revenge Of The Sith -

Anakin's Betrayal

Padme's Ruminations

Anakin's Dark Deeds

Enter Lord Vader

The Immolation Scene

A New Hope And End Credits

Sorry Jair, I need your top 10 scores, what you posted is interesting but nothing I can use, sorry.

If I was allowed, I would have mostly included concert works instead of film scores...

that was a given, but I really was happy getting your score list.

Ok, I'll try to condense that into 10 scores

The Rare Breed

Jane Eyre

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

Dracula

Star Wars Episode VI : Return Of The Jedi

The Witches Of Eastwick

Schindler's List

Star Wars Episode I : The Phantom Menace

AI : Artificial Intelligence

Star Wars Episode III : Revenge Of The Sith

That's sweet, but it's not how this ranking works. Joey is going to assign them "points" on a weighted scale. Whichever score is first on your list gets ten points, then 9, then 8, and all the way down to 1. So "The Rare Breed" will get 10 points and "Star Wars III" gets 1.

Oh wow, well, ok. Hmm... this will be difficult...

1. Return Of The Jedi

2. Jane Eyre

3. The Witches Of Eastwick

4. The Phantom Menace

5. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

6. Dracula

7. Revenge Of The Sith

8. Schindler's List

9. AI

10. The Rare Breed

That's the best I can do. lol

Here's my update list, Joey. I quoted my original for convenience. Also added the next 5 to better flesh out the titles that I removed.

1. Munich

2. Empire Of The Sun

3. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban

4. Black Sunday

5. A.I. Artificial Intelligence

6. Saving Private Ryan

8. Heartbeeps

9. Cinderella Liberty

10. Rosewood

11. Schindler's List

12. War Horse

13. Images

14. 1941

15. Hook

It's always changing a little bit but it tends to always contain these scores. I think Hook used to be in War Horse's place.

1. Munich

2. Empire Of The Sun

3. Saving Private Ryan

4. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban

5. A.I. Artificial Intelligence

6. Schindler's List

8. Heartbeeps

9. Cinderella Liberty

10. War Horse