There needs to be a film score wiki. And JWFan should spearhead it.

BLUMENKOHL

Isn't there one already? I always assumed there was.

soundtrackcollector.com is good for a database of soundtracks, but there's obviously more to a wiki than that.

I think it's a great idea. And I'd love to pitch in. There are great writers here too and I think we can really get this going.

Wikis should be impartial. A wiki coming from this site's members would be filled with passive-aggressive, resentful language toward any score that wasn't part of the broad, orchestral tradition. We're great with facts, though. Maybe a really good editor or two could clean it up.

Wikis should be impartial. A wiki coming from this site's members would be filled with passive-aggressive, resentful language toward any score that wasn't part of the broad, orchestral tradition. We're great with facts, though. Maybe a really good editor or two could clean it up.

Until other people from other sites start joining who can catch and rectify those instances.

However, there then WILL need to be some good Admins though to prevent any flame wars or anything.

Those seem to be far too common on the subject of film music, for whatever peculiar reason.

So you're saying that we shouldn't write about Zimmer?

Sent from Tapatalk

I really like this idea. Especially since it's not only about soundtrack releases, but whole film scores. I'm not sure that has ever been done.

I think we have enough of a variety of members that such resentment wouldn't happen. It wouldn't be like a review site, where one man's tastes can cloud opinions on an entire genre (such as Clemmenson, who routinely trashes anything to do with RCP or Newman's experimental side).

But I do think Mark O is right - anything involving JW would probably be heavily balanced towards ass kissing.

Starting a wiki on film scores is not a bad idea and it would be a fount of knowledge even a very high quality one if proper moderating and editorial work was done to the articles.

I think we have enough of a variety of members that such resentment wouldn't happen. It wouldn't be like a review site, where one man's tastes can cloud opinions on an entire genre (such as Clemmenson, who routinely trashes anything to do with RCP or Newman's experimental side).

But I do think Mark O is right - anything involving JW would probably be heavily balanced towards ass kissing.

I think that last sentence is once again completely sarcastic over reacting on your part. I do not know when did positive discussion and analysis become such a negative thing? Analysis can be done as a wrinkled brow dissecting of the subject matter or with empathy to the subject, trying to understand rather than the goal being to pick it apart and find flaws in it. If you aim for a relatively neutral and objective database of useful information, then editors should be put to work to correct the articles going overboard with either praise or overt negativity.

Of course there are already soundtrack databases in the internet but they are really just that, aimed for collecting the basic information on the releases and scores instead of providing anything more in-depth like analysis, links to reviews, magazine articles, appearance of the music in other media etc.

I really like this idea. Especially since it's not only about soundtrack releases, but whole film scores. I'm not sure that has ever been done.

It should have articles on Film-Scores-As-They-Are, including information on how they were modified to use in the film, and articles on the releases of a film score.

Maybe some of the first content posted would be, but that is something that can be addressed later. Once it takes off and people get used to how it works, that should become much less of a problem.

I've discussed a similar project as this one with Miguel, Peio, Mikko, Maurizio, among others and we had some really great ideas. I'll try to re start it

• 3 months later...

Hi there.

I just wanted to chime in as I approached Jason LeBlanc the other day to help him with the edit war occurring at Wikipedia regarding his La-La Land Records article. I started a wiki project a couple of years ago under scorepedia.org but it didn't got the drive to live up the anticipation. But since Jason liked the idea I reinstalled the software yesterday and the wiki is up and running under http://en.scorepedia.org.

As of now there are no articles beside the standard ones but I think this can be a great foundation. So, if you want we can discuss anything further.

i would love if there was a kind of imdb for scores too!

where you could see the top250, see the top scores in every genre, sort the scores of a composer by ratings etc...

That would be called isdb, the Internet Score DataBase.

i would love if there was a kind of imdb for scores too!

where you could see the top250, see the top scores in every genre, sort the scores of a composer by ratings etc...

I'd rather call it FMDB (Filmmusic Database) and I already started a very basic version under http://www.fmdb.de - in german though. At the moment the whole thing gets a rewrite but these things take time especially when it's a one man show. :)

I'm sure people would contribute once someone comes up with and sets up a basic structure.

There already is: http://en.scorepedia.org

I'd rather call it FMDB (Filmmusic Database) and I already started a very basic version under http://www.fmdb.de - in german though. At the moment the whole thing gets a rewrite but these things take time especially when it's a one man show. :)

But you don't want to put articles related to TV scores & video games too? Remember, a lot of composers has also worked on television, theater, even video games, not just film.

But you don't want to put articles related to TV scores & video games too? Remember, a lot of composers has also worked on television, theater, even video games, not just film.

TV scores are already supported but not specially marked as such but videogame scores are adressed in the rewrite. Stuff like theater or else will also partially supported. I try to cover as much as possible.

As a test I just imported the Wikipedia article of La-La Land Records here: http://en.scorepedia.org/wiki/La-La_Land_Records. Everything is there including several links that might not be necessary in this context. There is also an extension missing which I'll install ASAP.

I'm sure people would contribute once someone comes up with and sets up a basic structure.

I mean a main page with content, some categories etc.

I mean a main page with content, some categories etc.

I see what you mean. This should be doable. Some more articles would also be good. :)

Well I would be interested in contributing to such a database.

You mean the wiki or FMDB?

Oh, and we also have the ability to import pages from Wikipedia. I did that with the La-La Land Records article and it worked very well. It did need some afterwork though but that was better than writing anything from scratch.

And I have a question: Is anyone able to design some kind of logo for the wiki?