Hans Zimmer in a forum!!!??

filmmusic

One of my facebook friends posted this:

Yup. Hans Zimmer is over there! Join in everyone!

and here you are:

http://www.vi-contro...pic.php?t=28172

Look for the user Rctec

Some other posts of his:

I've always worked on films that can't pay - just finished one, and am in the middle of another. But you have to love the film and the people you work with. A credit on an unsuccessful film is pretty worthless. But license your music to the film, keep all your publishing and make sure you have a good back-end participation deal.

Great movies are made by passionate filmmakers. The trick is to find the smart ones. Neither Rainman, Driving Miss Daisy or Thelma and Louise looked like blockbusters on the page. Nor did 'The Ring'. But they worked out. 'Frost Nixon' wasn't much of a commercial proposition, but we are all proud of it. 'As good as it gets' had the director come back to my agent after the movie was out and a success and offered me my full fee... It's just important to work with good people.

Just a couple of thoughts from the jungle...

Hz

http://www.vi-contro...hlight=#3655807

(about The thin Red Line)

...But it was worth it. Weirdly, all the pieces on the cd came very, very quickly. Journey to the line, which is the 'fanous' piece, was written nearly in realtime - before I realized it breaks all the good orchestration rules...

http://www.vi-contro...hlight=#3640335

(his review about a member's piece, and about Sherlock Holmes)

Hey, I wrote it.... Don't listen to that idiot with his conventional ideas! It's pretty good. In fact, everything in "Sherlock" is quantized - especially the Cimbalom, the bass and the perc.There is hardly any reverb in the original track, and the violin and cello are super closed mic'ed. But you loose the "Oompah" feeling in a few places, especially at the end of phrazes. But the underlying rhythm sounds wrong, and so do the stringlines. Start by getting the basic groove right. But... not as bad as I thought it would be!

Hz

http://www.vi-contro...hlight=#3656723

Thank You, Jose, for the gracious tone in the reply to the Young Composer, a reply I've been dying to write ever since I saw the original post...but thought it might be a little too caustic:

"Dear Young Composer, I completly agree with you. You should not buy Cubase, you shouldn't even consider buying Cubase - since it's obviously very unstable. I don't think the good folks at Steinberg need another young expert with an over-developed sense of self-entitlement and shameless lack of knowledge telling the world that their product is flawed. There are a lot of good souls on this forum trying to help you, but - honestly - it's going to be virtually impossible to diagnose your tech problems remotely. Maybe start with something simple, Cubase is quite a complex program. Alternatively, RTFM."

...But Jose is far more of a gentleman then I'll ever be.

http://www.vi-contro...hlight=#3652986

Is this a joke??

What do you think?

edit: I just got a reply from my facebook friend, who is a moderator in that forum, and says it's Hans Zimmer himself!! and that it is checked! (how? I don't know)

But i still can't believe it..

I'm friends with Hans on facebook (after I met him in Ghent last year) and have had a few chats with him, so he's pretty cool and forthcoming with public activity. He even had a facebook argument with my friend James Southall from FSM and Maintitles.net. So yeah....I wouldn't be surprised if that was him.

He even had a facebook argument with my friend James Southall from FSM and Maintitles.net.

About what?

I can't remember anymore. An unfavourable review James gave, I think (or rather some comment in the review).

I've always wondered how many famous people are roaming around on the Internet, posting on message boards. Roger Deakins runs his own forum on his website and posts frequently. I've heard Robert Downey Jr. enjoys cruising the message boards and finding the most awful things people say about him. JK Rowling has said that she's posted on Harry Potter forums before, anonymously.

Can you imagine John Williams using a computer, except via proxy??

WOW!!! ;)

I'll wager you are more likely to get smoke signals or a carrier pidgeon or a letter via the pony express from John Williams than an e-mail .

http://www.facebook....hans.zimmer.399 ?

I always thought it was a fake account. I mean, dat profile pic...

That's him.

ha! I think I remember stumbling upon JNH's fb and saw them being friends, and I was like "meh, another fake account."

As Koray pointed out that other composers are on Facebook too and actually respond to posts. That is when they're not busy. Hell even Chris Tilton has posted on this very forum from time to time.

A lot of the composers that post on Facebook are awesome, especially John Ottman and Gordy Haab. :)

I wouldn't be too suprised if Steven Spielberg visits jwfan from time to time but John Williams himself no way...

If Hans Zimmer even anonymously visited jwfan he probably wouldn't have the most pleasant time!

I remember a music forum did an open Q&A with Powell not too long ago, where he joined it and answered the questions himself. It was for a limited time, but it was a lot of fun nonetheless.

I hope hansu will visit this site also some time, I have many questions for him...

And couple of comments.

Well, the strange thing is that, in that forum, noone seems to have swamped him with questions and stuff, which would be the logical thing to do.

All talk like it's a regular thing without asking him anything..

maybe it's because some of them are already working in the business? I don't know

I hope hansu will visit this site also some time, I have many questions for him...

And couple of comments.

My arse. You'd be Mr Humble Good Manners 2012 if he appeared here.

What's Zimmer ever done to you, anyway?

He even had a facebook argument with my friend James Southall from FSM and Maintitles.net.

About what?

I can't remember anymore. An unfavourable review James gave, I think (or rather some comment in the review).

Southall posted his review of TDKR on facebook and was getting bashed by Zimmer fans. And then Zimmer happened to post something along the lines of " Now you know how it is to get 'reviewed'". It seemed like he was a bit offended by Southall's review.

I think it's likely it could be him. He's such a down-to-Earth guy that I wouldn't be surprised if he's trying to approach his fans.

I'm surprised this place hasn't attracted any composers yet!

Those of you who are familiar with Star Trek as I am, Rick Sternbach is on Facebook and he's awesome!

Just as an FYI those of you who may send him a friends request, just don't call him "Mr. Sternbach". I found out the day he accepted my friends request and he hates being addressed that way. He prefers people actually calling him by his first name. That in itself shows how laid back and awesome he is.

P.S. Rick Sternbach is the guy who made the Star Trek TNG Tech Manual and is responsible for a lot of the schematics for ships and such.

Wowsers! Some composers can appear unapproachable, but a lot of them aren't so much. From what I gather, Hans himself is actually pretty approachable, so it's nice to see him going to a forum and giving out some information.

Those of you who are familiar with Star Trek as I am, Rick Sternbach is on Facebook and he's awesome!

Just as an FYI those of you who may send him a friends request, just don't call him "Mr. Sternbach". I found out the day he accepted my friends request and he hates being addressed that way. He prefers people actually calling him by his first name. That in itself shows how laid back and awesome he is.

P.S. Rick Sternbach is the guy who made the Star Trek TNG Tech Manual and is responsible for a lot of the schematics for ships and such.

I think people get too concerned over the 'Mr...' thing. Partly because I've never had to call anyone that for almost a decade, but also I think that if someone is in the public eye (to the film music extent), they shouldn't expect the formalities that come with addressing a random stranger.

I think John Debney and David Arnold accepted friend requests from me some time ago; however I would rather subscribe to a public page. Partly because they should be able to have their private circle of friends like everyone else, but it also doesn't expose them to my (very) occasional tosh.

WOW, that's too awesome! I'm sorely tempted to message him asking about his work with Ofra... you guys think it's worth a try? I doubt I could ask about her recording sessions' existence (not for them, just if they exist lol), but at least just hearing about her in his own words would be incredible...

Ten fingers (plus toes in really tricky arithmetics) is enough for the Maestro!

Just sent him a message... gah, I'm nervous!!

OMG! OMG! OMG! I am like totally sure he will go out on a date with you, like totally. And if he don't, he don't deserve you.

Seriously let's hope Hans answers back and has something interesting to say to you about Ofra Haza and the Prince of Egypt. :)

OMG! OMG! OMG! I am like totally sure he will go out on a date with you, like totally. And if he don't, he don't deserve you.

OMG I'm like, SO totally jealous already!!!111! ^_^

Seriously let's hope Hans answers back and has something interesting to say to you about Ofra Haza and the Prince of Egypt. :)

hahaha, thanks for the laugh, and the well wishes. I'm excited! Apparently he logged on last night and this morning, but the message seems to still be unread (I think), which is better than it being ignored I suppose. :P

OMG I'm like, SO totally jealous already!!!111! ^_^

Again, hahaha :P

• 2 weeks later...

I guess no reply, eh?

No, but he hasn't ignored it. It's still unread.

It's been a while. Any joy? I'm going to pose a few questions myself to him.

That's pretty cool that Hans Zimmer posts on there. Wish John would do that for us :whistle:

I'm sure pretty much anyone who has worked with Williams on a film has been here to read some feedback on their collaboration. I would think Williams himself has definitely peaked on here at least once or twice. If I ever do meet him and have a chance to ask him a quick question or two I always said I was gonna ask him that just to see his reaction. I feel he'll either laugh or look slightly scared at the mention of this forum lol