I asked JW,tonight, about scoring SW VII.....

InTheCity

While that's exciting to hear, I'm not going to get my hopes up. We've had much better indications that JW was interested in scoring a sequel (DH part 2), and nothing ever came of that. Although JW did recently imply that he was considering scoring a non-Spielberg film...

You know what? I just don't think I want to hear the main crawl and the Force theme anymore. Played out, like so many other great albums.

However, if on the other hand John was asked to reboot the music to these reboot movies, well, let's just say I'd get shivers just at the prospect.

While that's exciting to hear, I'm not going to get my hopes up. We've had much better indications that JW was interested in scoring a sequel (DH part 2), and nothing ever came of that. Although JW did recently imply that he was considering scoring a non-Spielberg film...

Finally, there are so many musical oportunities for him out there besides Lucas and Spielberg. What projects did he imply?

I would have changed the crawl music in the prequel trilogy, actually. Now it's more unlikely that they'll change it.

Funnily enough, it's not played out for me at all.

Didn't JW play around with that idea? I don't think this idea even made it to the writing stage, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that he tinkered around with the idea, but GL talked him out of it due to continuity with the other SW movies. Probably read it here WAY BACK when Ricard called the site "starwarsmusic.com"!

The scores for the Original Trilogy are so different in tone and style than the prequels. I don't know if it's the maturity in JW's writing or a deliberate pastoral & operatic approach (maybe both), but both trilogies have a significantly different flavor from each other. If he DOES tackle Ep. VII-IX (which not only are we cautiously optimistic, but apparently he is as well), it will be interesting to see if he continues the "prequel" approach or goes back to the more romantic, sweeping style of the OT. Either way, it's some relief that he's at least considering it.

Mr. K

Finally, there are so many musical oportunities for him out there besides Lucas and Spielberg. What projects did he imply?

Not a specific project;

And about him only working with Spielberg. "THEY seem to think that but I am always willing to field offers!"

Source!

Where did you ask him?

Wondering the same thing. Quotes like these are a dime a dozen on the internet, how are we supposed to know you really talked to him? More details maybe?

The scores for the Original Trilogy are so different in tone and style than the prequels. I don't know if it's the maturity in JW's writing or a deliberate pastoral & operatic approach (maybe both), but both trilogies have a significantly different flavor from each other. If he DOES tackle Ep. VII-IX (which not only are we cautiously optimistic, but apparently he is as well), it will be interesting to see if he continues the "prequel" approach or goes back to the more romantic, sweeping style of the OT. Either way, it's some relief that he's at least considering it.

As news of the disney/lucas deal broke, I was interested in this too. I watched Episode 3 this weekend, and have been listening/reading about episode 2 as well. And, it seems like GL did a much bigger hacking job on the prequels. There's music reused everywhere, from the prequels and the originals. I just really get the sense, (especially when comparing to the Indy series, where it seems Spielberg was much more engaged in the score) that GL was not that engaged, had JW write music, but all the while kept hacking at his movie, and therefore had to keep splicing and hacking up the music too. The prequels music, at least for me, have a very thrown together, hackish feeling. And i think it's the fault of GL.

Just read some of InTheCity's old posts, he's the real deal.

The answer that JW gave is a little more hopeful than others he could have gave, so that's cool. I hope he scores it!

There is another:

This will be very interesting. Hard to imagine a SW movie without JW score. Would whomever use the themes, come up with completely new music?...weird. I once heard Spielberg say, "This [introducing JW] is why i'll never make a movie without John WIlliams". It will be a weird world when JW passes.

You're right, but I believ yates admitted he was responsible, saying the schedules couldn't match up and he was unwilling to show Williams a rough cut or something like that.

I would have changed the crawl music in the prequel trilogy, actually. Now it's more unlikely that they'll change it.

Funnily enough, it's not played out for me at all.

Didn't JW play around with that idea? I don't think this idea even made it to the writing stage, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that he tinkered around with the idea, but GL talked him out of it due to continuity with the other SW movies. Probably read it here WAY BACK when Ricard called the site "starwarsmusic.com"!

Mr. K

(Filmmaker) Mr. K -- now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time, a long time. Welcome back, sir. Your insight has been missed.

As news of the disney/lucas deal broke, I was interested in this too. I watched Episode 3 this weekend, and have been listening/reading about episode 2 as well. And, it seems like GL did a much bigger hacking job on the prequels. There's music reused everywhere, from the prequels and the originals. I just really get the sense, (especially when comparing to the Indy series, where it seems Spielberg was much more engaged in the score) that GL was not that engaged, had JW write music, but all the while kept hacking at his movie, and therefore had to keep splicing and hacking up the music too. The prequels music, at least for me, have a very thrown together, hackish feeling. And i think it's the fault of GL.

just for the record, there is not a single note in the prequel movies from the old recordings of the Original trilogy.

Williams just re-recorded 'through the window' for ROTS. The other themes and bits are arranged not exact note by note rehasehd material. In the case of opening title and end title intro, its a new recording with their slight differences.

I think he re-recorded the SW (ANH) end credits for TPM, but im sure it was rehearshal material, and it was never used anyway.

Me: "Oh by the way Mr. Williams what about you and Star Wars VII?"

JW: I'll Try!

There is another:

Why to use apprentice, if the master is still available?

These days, Williams should stick to writing paeans to trees.

I really am not gonna get my hopes up on this.

I'm actually surprised John Williams knew there was gonna be a new Star Wars film.

He probably doesn't, it's probably his generic sequel answer like he gave for HP.

Someone could ask him if he would score Jaws 5 and he'd give the same answer.

I'm actually surprised John Williams knew there was gonna be a new Star Wars film.

He probably doesn't, it's probably his generic sequel answer like he gave for HP.

Or Home Alone 5.

The Through The Window part just doesn't fit very well with the rest of that cue.

On the RotS OST is sticks out like a sore thumb (along with the Throne Room re-recording) considering half the score is unreleased. But in the complete RotS it's just a small bit that can be forgotten

The Through The Window part just doesn't fit very well with the rest of that cue.

I agree and on the RotS OST is sticks out like a sore thumb (along with the Throne Room re-recording) considering half the score is unreleased. But in the complete RotS it's just a small bit that can be forgotten

Like pee in the deep end of the swimming pool.

Hahaha!

Not a specific project;

And about him only working with Spielberg. "THEY seem to think that but I am always willing to field offers!"

Source!

There was another interview where he said he's considering several projects, some of which would be with Spielberg. He could be talking about Tintin 2, Star Wars 7 or some entirely different project.

It's possible, although we should keep in mind that with the Potter franchise, some of Williams' experiences were supposedly less than positive. As far as I know, that's not really the case with Star Wars or Disney. After all, just a year or two ago, he was willing to write new music for Star Tours, and willing to participate in the choice of existing music when he and Wannberg decided no new material was necessary. I suppose it could also be argued that this actually indicates a lack of interest in writing new Star Wars music, but only time will tell.

Personally, I'll remain very cautiously optimistic about the possibility of him scoring another Star Wars film. It's certainly a possibility, and it's good to hear that he didn't respond in a negative fashion. But as we all know, a lot of things need to fall into place correctly.

Not a specific project;

Source!

There was another interview where he said he's considering several projects, some of which would be with Spielberg. He could be talking about Tintin 2, Star Wars 7 or some entirely different project.

He didn't say it was film projects, though. I just figured it wasn't.

It's possible, although we should keep in mind that with the Potter franchise, some of Williams' experiences were supposedly less than positive. As far as I know, that's not really the case with Star Wars or Disney. After all, just a year or two ago, he was willing to write new music for Star Tours, and willing to participate in the choice of existing music when he and Wannberg decided no new material was necessary. I suppose it could also be argued that this actually indicates a lack of interest in writing new Star Wars music, but only time will tell.

Personally, I'll remain very cautiously optimistic about the possibility of him scoring another Star Wars film. It's certainly a possibility, and it's good to hear that he didn't respond in a negative fashion. But as we all know, a lot of things need to fall into place correctly.

You took my post far too seriously.

Of course JW would score Star Wars VII. A Star Wars without Lucas to challenge his every decision?

Were the unthinkable to occur, it would not stop JW's pen. Look to the east and a flash of green light, and the black turtleneck would return.