I asked JW,tonight, about scoring SW VII.....

InTheCity

JW is the king of diplomatic answers.

So, when someone asks him about Star Wars 7, "I'll try" is a JW translation for "I haven't seen a script or concept yet, I haven't even been approached about it, and why is everyone assuming I will do it and get along with any director doing it, instead of contemplating I may not be interested since in the last 12 years, every revisit to a classic series I scored resulted in a cinematic failure, and I don't even know if I'll be healthy enough to write music in the next years, fuck, I don't even know if I'll be alive, so asking such a thing is absolutely moronic!"

So let me get this straight. You had the opportunity to ask John Williams any question in the world. Any.

Like say..."How can we get you to do an interview for this fan site dedicated to you?"

And...you ask if he will score the next Star Wars movie.

I would have changed the crawl music in the prequel trilogy, actually. Now it's more unlikely that they'll change it.

Funnily enough, it's not played out for me at all.

Didn't JW play around with that idea? I don't think this idea even made it to the writing stage, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that he tinkered around with the idea, but GL talked him out of it due to continuity with the other SW movies. Probably read it here WAY BACK when Ricard called the site "starwarsmusic.com"!

The scores for the Original Trilogy are so different in tone and style than the prequels. I don't know if it's the maturity in JW's writing or a deliberate pastoral & operatic approach (maybe both), but both trilogies have a significantly different flavor from each other. If he DOES tackle Ep. VII-IX (which not only are we cautiously optimistic, but apparently he is as well), it will be interesting to see if he continues the "prequel" approach or goes back to the more romantic, sweeping style of the OT. Either way, it's some relief that he's at least considering it.

Mr. K

(Filmmaker) Mr. K -- now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time, a long time. Welcome back, sir. Your insight has been missed.

'Sup, Hlao! I've been ghosting the boards for years, but when this announcement was made I HAD to jump back in. What a shock! I nearly fell out of my seat when I read the news; thought at first it was some sort of prank.

Of course JW would score Star Wars VII. A Star Wars without Lucas to challenge his every decision?

Were the unthinkable to occur, it would not stop JW's pen. Look to the east and a flash of green light, and the black turtleneck would return.

ROTFLMAO seriously, though, how many of those black turtlenecks does he have? It is always the same one- a "lucky shirt"? Is it laundered or smell of the sweat of years- indeed decades- of toiled cinematic nectar- like the soft suckle on the bosom of symphonic verisimilitude. Does his wife go to wash it and he yells, "Nooooo! These woven threads mean more to me than your eternal soul, woman!" It belongs in the Smithsonian alongside the original studio model of the Starship Enterprise and Lincoln's Top Hat...or in my house- that would be sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

Hans Zimmer doesn't have a lucky black turtleneck, I guaran-damn-tee you.

Mr. K