BloodBoal

I prefer the latter's melody, but since that never got a decent concert arrangement I can only ever vote for Leia's.

It has gotten a decent concert arrangement, not just in the actual score and BB said everything counts, even re-recordings.

And yes the Han Solo and the Princess is a wonderful theme but still Leia holds the upper hand.

Han and Leia gets much better usage in the Trilogy (Rebel Fleet and End Credits, and The Imperial Probe).

But I prefer Leia's theme, especially the statement in Ben and Luke on Log.

I prefer the latter's melody, but since that never got a decent concert arrangement I can only ever vote for Leia's.

It has gotten a decent concert arrangement

I never liked it. To me it always felt half-arsed.

I'm referring to both. The Gerhardt version is my preferred of the two, though,

I was actually asking who wrote the arrangement, not who performed it.

Oh sorry my bad. I don't actually remember, it's been years since I've played it to be honest. Plus my brain is a bit fuzzed with my son finally arriving into the world yesterday morning.

Hey congratulations Lee! :)

Oh sorry my bad. I don't actually remember, it's been years since I've played it to be honest. Plus my brain is a bit fuzzed with my son finally arriving into the world yesterday morning.

Hey congratulations Lee! :)

Thanks Inky :)

I just relistened to Gerhardt's version and the performance is solid but the arrangement doesn't let the melody soar in the same way Williams does with Leia's theme or some of the film arrangements of the melody. It is much more reserved in its emotion, a bit bashful really, even though it does crescendo in a traditional SW fashion towards the end.

Congratulations!!

Han Solo and the Princess, AINEC

Yes it did!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLLvvF3j7Fk

Yeah, I just find it a bit pondersome and lacking form. Sorry.

Thanks for the well wishes guys.

Princess Leia's theme by a mile or more. It's one of John's most sumptuous pieces ever.

There's no contest here, and that's not a knock on the excellent Empire love theme: Princess Leia's Theme just happens to be one of the greatest things Williams has ever written. From the delicate descending flute line that opens the piece to the eventual eruption of the full orchestra, the piece is exceptionally seamless in its transition from the exquisitely feminine to the effusively romantic, and back.

Han Solo and the Princess, AINEC

Yes it did!

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLLvvF3j7Fk

Yeah, I just find it a bit pondersome and lacking form. Sorry.

Thanks for the well wishes guys.

I agree, I am also not enthusiast about the concert arrangement of "Han Solo and the Princess" because of form, although the theme itself is extraordinary, as well as its use in the movies. But in the concert arrangement, that brief statement of Leia's theme at halfway seems to have been inserted only as a way of keeping the cue a bit longer and to modulate, but it really seems out of place to me.

I far prefer the concert arrangement of Leia's theme, which gives you the feeling of a romance staged in the empty interstellar spaces. This is really one of the very best cues of the whole Star Wars series. Another great one is "Luke and Leia".

So, I voted for Leia.

... and best wishes for the newcomer!

There's no contest here, and that's not a knock on the excellent Empire love theme: Princess Leia's Theme just happens to be one of the greatest things Williams has ever written. From the delicate descending flute line that opens the piece to the eventual eruption of the full orchestra, the piece is exceptionally seamless in its transition from the exquisitely feminine to the effusively romantic, and back.

That.

Leia's Theme. Still the best of the romantic themes in the series.

This!

Even though it's very dramatic in nature. It's even used for Ben's Death. (did I spoil it for anyone?)

• 8 months later...

The beauty of both themes stem from the different times and places they hit our consciousness and because of their intent. It's difficult to choose! Both are used in their primary purpose (Leia's most effectively during the hologram scene and the love theme during the kisses) and in unexpected ways to drive the action. Leia's theme cues when Luke screams at Ben's death in A New Hope. The love theme becomes a dramatic march throughout the finale of Empire. It is Williams's great skill of repurposing pieces of music that wove such complex aural tapestries.

It should be noted – and I love this – that the love theme is a continuation of Leia's theme. This transition can be heard clearly and brilliantly in the music partially omitted from the beginning of Empire. When synced with the film it plays over Han and Leia's exchange in the control room ("Well, Your Highness, I guess this is it.") and follows them into the hallway. It begins with her theme reprised from the first film. There is a flourish when she chases him out the door (this is where the track begins to play in the film). When it becomes clear to us that there is a romance brewing here, the music achingly shifts from her more innocent theme to the warmer, more mature love theme.

http://youtu.be/6AmzSko_b14

(The section begins at 4:41.)

It's for this reason I voted for the love theme, for it's versatility and the way it's used to tell their story. It evolves with them. It begins as a tentative yearning in the hallway scene. It swells to full romance when they kiss on the Falcon. It reaches its full emotional crescendo during the carbon freezing scene, when we experience the realization that not only are these characters infatuated with each other, they are deeply in love – and that love is being taken away. From then to the end of the film, Williams plays with the theme in dips and swells as the heroes escape Cloud City. It is the last cue we hear as they watch the Falcon take off and the camera pulls back from the window to reveal the Rebel fleet.

Ugh. I miss great movie music!

Wow, best first post of all time?

Well said all around, HyphenatedScore! The love theme from ESB is indeed wonderful and the Finale cue in particular is so full of heartache, yet hope, it's just brilliant.

Welcome to the board!

Princess Leia's theme, for the concert version, which is one of the most beautiful JW pieces ever. Gotta love this horn and violin solos.

Love theme is very good indeed, and some of the statements towards the end of TESB are top notch, but I feel this kind of melodic writing has been subsequently perfected by Williams and resulted in Marion's theme.

Karol - whose close second would be Luke and Leia (sadly underused as well)

Wow, best first post of all time?

Well said all around, HyphenatedScore! The love theme from ESB is indeed wonderful and the Finale cue in particular is so full of heartache, yet hope, it's just brilliant.

Welcome to the board!

Indeed, great post, HyphenatedScore, it was a joy to read

HyphenatedScore, my Pirates are in the middle of a penant race, but you just made me want to watch The Empire Strikes Back more than I've ever wanted to in the last five years. Well done!

Han Solo and the Princess. I prefer it's more modern, jazzy, 20th Century harmonies, and its got a maturity and world-weariness about (like Luke and Leia) that better fits my temperament. Princess Leia's Theme is too innocent and hysterically Romantic.

I can't be dammed that HSATP doesn't have a concert arrangement - hell, I actually prefer it that way. The Vader/Emperor underscore in the second half is the perfect counterpart/antidote.

I can't be dammed that HSATP doesn't have a concert arrangement - hell, I actually prefer it that way.

It does, and there exist several recordings

Bloodboal posted it in the initial post of this thread

The concert arrangement is a bit underwhelming for Han Solo and The Princess. It's a lovely, romantic piece but perhaps best in the short forms Williams gives it throughout the films, although the performance at the end of the credits is probably the best.

Leia's Theme gets my vote.

Escape from Hoth is my favourite ESB, though I also dig the rendition for when the Falcon enters the asteroid, and it when it later breaks off from the floating debris. There's also some great ones in ROTJ - the one at the end of "Brother and Sister" and the Leia's big reveal ("he's my brother") come to mind.

Well RotJ has my favorite rendition of Leia's Theme of the trilogy , when ghost Ben tells Luke that Leia is his sister.

I remember it wasn't on the anthology in 1994 and I was mad.

I find the RotJ renditions of Han Solo and the Princess a bit tacked on and don't flow as well in the score as in TESB...there's 2 weird renditions on Endor (Land of the Ewoks tracks I think)

I find the RotJ renditions of Han Solo and the Princess a bit tacked on and don't flow as well in the score as in TESB...there's 2 weird renditions on Endor (Land of the Ewoks tracks I think)

I think one of those renditions is an alternate version of a segment of 'Han Solo Returns' that was placed in between the other tracks in 'Land of the Ewoks'.