An Unexpected Journey SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

Seriously, who gives a shit about Blume's boss' opinion on the film?

Seriously, who should give a shit about ANYONE's opinion on the film except their own?

I wonder if the reasons they wanted a trilogy are more shown in films 2 and 3, leaving this one suffering the most.

Which a less egotistical director would have realised two 2hr movies would be more than sufficient.

Four hours is still PLENTY of time in which to tell the story of The Hobbit.

Seriously, who should give a shit about ANYONE's opinion on the film except their own?

Indeed. I look forward to judging this thing for myself.

People's bosses are the illuminati of the critique world, moving unnoticed behind the scenes, influencing the plebs without them even realising. If someone's boss uncloaks long enough to warn about a move in advance, it's bad.

Humans. We are social creatures. Just because you sit in a lonely room by yourself and skin live bunnies by candlelight for pleasure doesn't mean the rest of us don't take other people's views into consideration.

Am I gonna adopt his opinion? No. But I will use his opinion since we have a lot of common interest to maximize my own pleasure derived from the film by lowering my expectations, so I will feel my $14 AND 2 hours spent for the film is at least spent well, instead of being pissy about how the film does not meet my Herculean expectations.

Humans. We are social creatures. Just because you sit in a lonely room by yourself and skin live bunnies by candlelight for pleasure doesn't mean the rest of us don't take other people's views into consideration.

Am I gonna adopt his opinion? No. But I will use his opinion since we have a lot of common interest to maximize my own pleasure derived from the film by lowering my expectations, so I will feel my $14 AND 2 hours spent for the film is at least spent well, instead of being pissy about how the film does not meet my Herculean expectations.

Love it when another person without a dick on their head posts in here.

Exactly.

This is fake bullshit, a quaint and endlessly convenient ideology. Otherwise internet forums would cease to exist. People REALLY care about the views of others, delicate little souls that we are. Don't try to disguise that; because I'll know.

oh admit it, you're starting to get seriously worried.

Not in the slightest. Reviews never affected my expectations for a movie.

For example, I read a lot of reviews on John Carter, saying the movie was pure shit and things like that, yet I still wanted to see it very much and knew I would like it. And I did.

so you're saying your expectations for this movie are the same as they were, say, two weeks ago?

sure.

From the moment the movie was announced all those years ago, it was going to be nigh on impossible for it to live up to even the vaguest semblance of expectation for BloodBoal. That's because he's, you know, BloodBoal.

That's always been obvious to any intelligent person who knows these films and how theyre made.

What McKellen doesn't acknowledge though is his boss' tenancy to get a bit carried away.

That would be like Shia LeBoeuf criticising Steven Spielberg for laying a turd with INDY IV.

Oh wait...

You don't diss the movie until after it's come out.

Or your name is Peter O'Toole.

People REALLY care about the views of others, delicate little souls that we are. Don't try to disguise that; because I'll know.

That would explain why you are so desperately insecure.

popping progeny that don't have a future doesn't help either. Hawhaw.

Hee hee, there's nobody on this board more unequipped to point fingers than our little resident sociopath. And even then; living under a rickety bridge is still no excuse for being three days too late with your harassment! Your comedy timing needs work as well. Oh where to start!

I'm going to hazard a guess that Warner Brothers will be watching the box office figures for this film very closely. Between the bloated length controversy, the 48 FPS issues (it's very apparent now that the "limited" availability of the HFR version is an intentional decision by the studio, likely fuelled by the awful reactions to the test footage in April), and the general negativity that seems to pervade the film online, I'd say the edits of film 2 & 3 will definitely come under the microscope by the studio. I'm surprised WB weren't the least bit nervous from the beginning after the shit storm that happened at Universal after King Kong flopped (when Jackson begged them to indulge his longer cut despite his contract stipulating the theatrical cut be under 2:40.)

Even PJ himself is treading delicately around the 48 FPS issue now that so many people have been scathing about it. Now it's just "all about choice for the filmmaker" rather than being the end-all be-all future of cinema itself. Way to talk yourself up PJ!

I'm definitely keeping my expectations in check now. I'm kind of glad I won't go into it with the huge expectations I had with each successive LOTR sequel (though they delivered in droves).

I remember well that it underwhelmed (after all the hype and expectation) but in the in end turned a profit. But yeah, it was in general regarded as a bit of a failure, which is a shame. If it hadn't taken an hour just to reach the island and had some of the dinosaurs been drawn with far less shoddy cgi I'd probably regard it as a five star adventure classic, because the good stuff in there is REALLY good, as genre movies go. As it is, I consider it a 4/5 seriously flawed gem.

If I were Jackson or any director or a movie studio I'd tell the public to go fuck themselves and stick to 48fps and transition every new film to 48 fps.

There is nothing better about 24 fps other than 80 years of psychological conditioning.

The love for it is essentially a manifestation of the Stockholm Syndrome.

I remember liking it a lot, but being extremely pissed that Shore was rejected.

Speaking of which, when the hell is Shore releasing his work on Kong? I thought I heard a rumor he was planning on doing so?

But yes, you could easily cut 20 minutes from the film.

I actually loved the movie, and its a real shame its release turned out the way it did. Sure it drags in the beginning, but I still really enjoyed it.

If I were Jackson or any director or a movie studio I'd tell the public to go fuck themselves and stick to 48fps and transition every new film to 48 fps.

There is nothing better about 24 fps other than 80 years of psychological conditioning.

Definitely agree with the fundamental point, but how do you or directors for that matter address the widely reported byproduct effects it has on the production itself? Because I sincerely doubt that aspect is related to petty fear of change

Speaking of which, when the hell is Shore releasing his work on Kong? I thought I heard a rumor he was planning on doing so?

Who knows, maybe one day.

Something I can 100% agree with.