An Unexpected Journey SPOILERS ALLOWED Discussion Thread

Jay

I wonder if the internet existed in 1975 would message boards be in an uproar over the changes Spileberg made to the best selling novel Jaws?

I haven't read The Hobbit in years, in fact I remember the LP of the cartoon version better than I do the book.

Oh definitely. Those differences would have been discussed in minute detail and bemoaned loudly.

I dont think so. Jaws is no literature.

I saw the movie yesterday, IMO it's not a bad movie, but not very special either. It's a bit more childish than LotR, actually just as the book is. A bit to much cheesy action and sfx especially in the goblin cave sequence. Overall, it misses a certain urgency.

but it seems i cannot 'complain' about a film that must have some flaws since it has a tomatometter 2% bellow AOTC... because it annoys Quint.

What does Attack of the Clones and RT have to do with anything you stupid idiot fanboy? Are you incapable of talking about something without drawing comparisons with your blessed fucking Star Wars? You ceased to be relevant in that regard about five years ago, didn't you get the memo? There's plenty to complain about with this movie, I have done myself about one or two things over the last few pages, (which yet again you choose to ignore) but unlike you I ponder the broader, movie affecting things that matter, instead of moaning about glowing swords and other inane details nobody really cares about like a never ending anal fucking retard. I find you to be a veritable Sheldon Cooper-alike minus the sharp wit and intelligence. I'm certain you have Aspergers.

As stinging as you can be occasionally, sometimes you post things that seem to speak from my inner, dark core that I wouldn't dare to word the same way, but that nevertheless feel very satisfying.

I actually like the lack of big flashy spells. It's less Harry Potter, and somehow makes a more poignant film.

Gandalf is still pretty brilliant in the film without all those flashy gimmicks. I in general like the way he uses his magic only in the direst need and often quite inventively. Alas there was no bonfire, smoke and sparks in the Great Goblin scene but the burning pine cones were very much in the spirit of Tolkien.

Gandalf throws a BIG one at his appearance, when he swats a whole group of goblins with one swoop of his staff. It's dangerous to show things like this because I thought "why can't he just do it again?"

And I'm usually not someone who is irked by such details.

Of all that has been said, what saddens me more is that i will never cease to be labelled as a star wars fanboy even when i'm not a fraction of the blind youngster i was ten years ago...

I wonder if the internet existed in 1975 would message boards be in an uproar over the changes Spileberg made to the best selling novel Jaws?

I haven't read The Hobbit in years, in fact I remember the LP of the cartoon version better than I do the book.

Oh definitely. Those differences would have been discussed in minute detail and bemoaned loudly.

Haven't we all got better things to do? Apparently not...

Of all that has been said, what saddens me more is that i will never cease to be labelled as a star wars fanboy even when i'm not a fraction of the blind youngster i was ten years ago...

Mañuel, it's because you use unrelated discussions to try to get back at the prequel haters, i.e. your obsession with comparing ILM and WETA. You drag Star Wars and George Lucas into arguments that don't involve them, and you seem to need to stand up for Lucas whenever possible (except regarding the editing of the prequel scores). And, well, it's nice, but Lucas is one of the richest people in the world, and I think he can take care of himself. I've never seen such devotion to a creator in any other pop phenomenon. But don't worry, I know you're not one of the truly crazy, religious Lucas fanatics. And I don't think most of us are as bothered as stuff like this as Quint is.

i think now im more interested in hobbit sequels than the future star wars films...

I dont like the changes lucas made in the blu rays...

I dont want to...but i think that after years defending Lucas... the comparisons come subsconciously. But i have also noticed that after years bashing lucas 'against me' some people jump at every mention of GL/SW i make, even if it makes 100% sense within the discussion.

Quint was also very vocal against my 'desire' to see correctly depicted CGI animals. I know some about animals and work with them, so i think my stance is natural.

It's the same why most people cannot accept full-CGI films, because the persons dont look real, the uncanny valley. It is just that I find the uncanniness in fake animals too.

I don't think most of us are as bothered as stuff like this as Quint is.

It's true, I get irritated by nit-picking and nit-pickers in a similar way in which Manuel gets annoyed by Snowy's stupid legs. What vexes most is when said nit-pickers begin to sound like a broken record - all the while completely overlooking and even not caring about genuinely valid complaints about movie-breaking issues etc etc - like that stuff (narrative, pacing) is secondary to Glamdring's failure to glow! I mean, did you read Luke Skywalker's Hobbit 'review'? 'Nuff said!

But anyway... I actually feel bad now for biting Manuel's head off yesterday and the subsequent furore it caused and so I apologise to him. Sorry.

I'm certain you have Aspergers.

Oh, like that kid in Connecticut, and like one of our own members here who seems to get along fine with the hand he has been dealt.

:shakehead:

But anyway... I actually feel bad now for biting Manuel's head off yesterday and the subsequent furore it caused and so I apologise to him. Sorry.

I dont know if you can read this, but I'm also sorry I made you explode, I shouldnt repeat myself, just say something once but not start endless debates.

That and stop (or lessen a great deal) quoting the 'unmentionable franchise' ;) stuff.

I prefer the instantly recognisable Jackson cameos. That one could be anyone and so feels a bit pointless.

To tell you the truth so do I. His cameos were fun in LotR along with other crew members. You could still spot all of them without having to analyze each frame of the film in the process.

I prefer the instantly recognisable Jackson cameos. That one could be anyone and so feels a bit pointless.

To tell you the truth so do I. His cameos were fun in LotR along with other crew members. You could still spot all of them without having to analyze each frame of the film in the process.

hehe I agree... his rotk cameo is my favorite.

btw, didn't we get to see katie jackson in the hobbit? I have a feeling that I saw here somewhere.

hehe I agree... his rotk cameo is my favorite.

btw, didn't we get to see katie jackson in the hobbit? I have a feeling that I saw here somewhere.

Nope

Except Jabba didn't have a giant scrotum hanging from his chin. Jabba was more like a big old turd with arms. The Goblin King was South Park's Ball-Chin Boy on the big screen.

Hey just for the record...yesterday i talked about the film with a fellow veterinarian friend, and she talked about the incorrectness of the eagles' wings movement. Also the weird vulture-curved long necks. I did not brought the topic mind you, and she is not into CGI, film nerdity, etc at all... it a casual mainstream moviegoer.

So the pickiness must come with the profession... :P

He appears twice, but both times in the same role (as a pirate of Umbar).

Jackson's second cameo in Return of the King is during the scene of Shelob's Lair, where Sam's arm (Jackson's) is seen entering the shot as Shelob is wrapping Frodo in webbing. This was due to Sean Astin's temporary absence, and Peter wanted to progress the production of the scene as much as possible, even without the actor.

@ 0:35

I liked those in FOTR and TTT, but both were not that easy to spot, unless you expected them. I think I didn't even see him in TTT the first time(s?) I watched it. The full crew cameo in ROTK was way overdone.

My favourite PJ cameos are still in Heavenly Creatures and The Frighteners.