John Williams at Symphony Hall, June 7-12, 2013 (Boston MA)

KingPin

It would be great if we could get a group meet and greet. At least you wouldn't have to run after his car again jwfangirl ;-)

Oh gawd! Was that her? LOL. Best to leave out that detail in the letter. :P

The balconies will give you a better view of the musicians, whereas the floor seats will give you a more balanced sound. During Pops season you also get to eat and drink during the concert with floor seats, though I'm not a fan of this.

Floor seats get awkward in the Orchestra seating. You're crammed in there at little tables. If you're sitting there, arrive early because it's an absolute clusterfuck once it's filled up. That said, you can be right next to JW and the orchestra. I've been right next to the stage with cellists' feet next to my head where you can't see anything but a few players and JW conducting. It's pretty awesome, though. Balcony is okay, but I prefer that awkward section on the floor right by the stage.

People will be talking, laughing, coughing (and coughing), sneezing and ordering drinks throughout. If that sort of thing annoys you...be prepared!

Join us Thor.... join us!!

Any other Scandinavians who wanna join? Alice? ;)

People will be talking, laughing, coughing (and coughing), sneezing and ordering drinks throughout. If that sort of thing annoys you...be prepared!

Hell I hate people checking their phones while I'm watching a movie in the cinema!

I've given many people the "stare of death!"

I once heard a wine glass shatter to pieces right at the end of Hermann's "Scene d'amour from Vertigo". Forehead smack! You hear everything in Symphony Hall! Another peeve is people who clap before the final chord dissipates (1.9 seconds) or after the false endings in Harry Potter and Tintin.

Hmmm...that's a dilemma right there. I don't like noisy concertgoers, and I'm not sure about sitting alone at a table with a bunch of strangers....BUT I really want to see Williams up-close. I was too far off at the Hollywood Bowl.

Gotta decide by the end of this evening, because as you guys say -- tickets are going fast!

Then I can worry about flights etc. later. If I can't go, I guess I can sell the ticket?

If you sit at tables 102 or 103 in Row E you won't be with strangers.

Hmm.. just noticed row D got snapped up. Hope the buyers aren't too tall or sporting afro hairstyles. :P

Damnit, they were going so fast, I just bought a ticket on Saturday (since most of you seemed to be going that day).

I will be sitting with strangers at the orchestra floor, seat C3. That's $112 right there. Hope I will be able to sell this one in case I can't afford the looooong trip otherwise.

Yeah it's not easy having to buy expensive tix 6 months in advance to ensure good seats. I've actually stopped buying Tanglewood ones ahead of time as I hated having to schedule my summer vacation around concert dates. Boston's a much better sonic experience.

Yeah it's not easy having to buy expensive tix 6 months in advance to ensure good seats. I've actually stopped buying Tanglewood ones ahead of time as I hated having to schedule my summer vacation around concert dates. Boston's a much better sonic experience.

Since I will be (if I can afford it) travelling from Norway (a 10-hour flight to Boston, complete with jetlag), it's 100% necessary to order well in advance to insure the best seats possible. I did the same with the Bowl concert this year. With that in consideration, $112 isn't that much in the scheme of things -- even though it IS obviously expensive and I will be sitting with 4 strangers in a noisy part of the venue.

Aw man I hope no one at my table is too noisy! My 21st birthday is a few weeks prior so I am looking forward to ordering a drink or two before the show.

Both tickets were cheaper together for Boston than one ticket in New York has been in the past for not as good seats so I definitely wanted the opportunity to sit closer without being in debt for the next 6 months.

I'm SURE there will be people who will want a ticket closer to time if it's available.

If it's anything like the Tanglewood shows, you should be fine. I've kept an eye on StubHub for a couple of the shows last year, and every ticket posted there was eventually sold.

Join us Thor.... join us!!

Any other Scandinavians who wanna join? Alice? ;)

tempting. most tempting. the thing is... I'd prefer to be 21 when visiting ze us. damn you, late birthday! 2014, anyone?

have fun guys!

Feel free to fly over for the Friday show.

I wish I could! Really, this round is downright impossible. I've just moved house and I'm virtually out of money. Also, I have a delicate situation at home and I need to rebuild several things now. I guess there are more chances I'll be able to do this for the 2014 Spring Pops season.

Well, it's something more complicated than that... not just matter of sentimental issues, but something more thorny and, sadly, involving grief.

However, I'm so envious of you guys! I have a friend from Italy who just bought tickets, I'll send my best wishes to you along with him :)

As part of the 2013 Boston Pops season you can submit your favorite film theme for consideration and the top three will be performed. I'll be requesting David Arnold's Independence Day (End Titles) as it's never been performed live AFAIK and its Mahleresque ending would be totally exhilarating to hear at Symphony Hall!

Will anyone second my motion? :)

Email POPSMOVIEMUSIC@BSO.ORG

As part of the 2013 Boston Pops season you can submit your favorite film theme for consideration and the top three will be performed. I'll be requesting David Arnold's Independence Day (End Titles) as it's never been performed live AFAIK and its Mahleresque ending would be totally exhilarating to hear at Symphony Hall!

Keith Lockhart conducted Independence Day with the Boston Pops live many years back, sometime shortly after the movie was released. But either way, it's definitely vote-worthy!!!

I wonder who will be conducting these? It would be great to hear Williams do something from Indiana Jones other than the main theme, or something from Prisoner of Azkaban. And I still haven't heard him conduct Superman.

He's done "Indy's First Adventure" live to film before, as well as "Adventures of Mutt" shortly after KotCS.

"Window to the Past" from Azkaban would be awesome, but given it was just the 3rd film of an 8-part franchise I don't know what context it would be presented in.

He's done Superman for the last 2-3 years in a row, and although it's always fun to hear, it may start getting repetitive.

I must have been unlucky to miss Superman in the three concerts I've been to. I did get to hear Indy's First Aventure - almost forgot about that one!

Window to the Past could work nicely as part of the series of Harry Potter themes he's been doing lately.

At any rate, if we wanted something "obscure" we'd probably have to coordinate our efforts for it to get enough votes.

This will sound insane, but attending another Willliams' concert with the Pops in Symphony Hall... IS really tempting, even just a year after having experienced that for the first time. I guess I have wonderful memories of my vacation time spent in Boston last Spring! :lock2:

He's done "Indy's First Adventure" live to film before, as well as "Adventures of Mutt" shortly after KotCS.

"Window to the Past" from Azkaban would be awesome, but given it was just the 3rd film of an 8-part franchise I don't know what context it would be presented in.

He's done Superman for the last 2-3 years in a row, and although it's always fun to hear, it may start getting repetitive.

He performed Window to the Past in Chicago in 2009, it was part of an all Potter 2nd half.

Oh... how about Alan Silvestri - End Credits from Back to the Future III? :D

Remember the top three will be performed throughout the season - not necessarily on Williams night.