JW's Oscar prospects

indy4

JW's Lincoln Oscar prospects  

59 members have voted

1. 1. JW's Lincoln Oscar prospects

• He will be nominated for Lincoln, but won't win.
    • He will win for Lincoln.
    • He won't be nominated for Lincoln.

Yeah I'd agree that this is the most unpredictable one for many years.

And while you could argue that Williams will win because Lincoln will dominate, you might also get the music treated as a token vote (either to Life of Pi/Argo instead of best picture, or to Skyfall so that it receives something).

I'm rooting for Skyfall because I want Newman to receive a long overdue oscar, and the music works fantastically in the film.

But in the real world, I don't give a sh*t :)

Yeah I'd agree that this is the most unpredictable one for many years.

And while you could argue that Williams will win because Lincoln will dominate, you might also get the music treated as a token vote (either to Life of Pi/Argo instead of best picture, or to Skyfall so that it receives something).

I'm rooting for Skyfall because I want Newman to receive a long overdue oscar, and the music works fantastically in the film.

But in the real world, I don't give a sh*t :)

Lincoln will dominate?

How do you figure? I don't think so.

Life of Pi is a lock.

It would be a shame if Skyfall wins any music Oscars, especially since Barry was snubbed for his superior work on the series. Newman has done better work that should have netted him an Oscar or 2 already for best score.

Even Adele's song is below the standards set for Bond songs.

But then 2 of the btter scores this year weren't even nominated so who knows what surprises await.

Again, saying Skyfall doesn't deserve an award for Best Score of 2012 because other Bond entries pre-2012 were superior is not rational.

On another note, since Seth MacFarland is hosting, and he's a big JW fan, maybe we'll get a JW mention in the Oscar monologue? Something about how many noms JW has.

To update the tally I posted on the last page of best score awards won this season:

Lincoln: 2

Skyfall: 2

Life of Pi: 1

Cloud Atlas: 1

The Master: 1

I find it interesting how many here rank Skyfall so highly. It's a solid entertaining score that works well in context. But it's ultimately nothing special and certainly not best of the year.

Life of Pi has the strongest chance of taking the Oscar home for Best Original Score.

Well said, KK. While I think Skyfall is an effective score with the film, listening to it on its own becomes a bit tedious because so much of it is given to rhythm loops that our beloved JW avoids like the plague. So, effective yes, but I would agree, not Oscar worthy.

It would be a shame if Skyfall wins any music Oscars, especially since Barry was snubbed for his superior work on the series. Newman has done better work that should have netted him an Oscar or 2 already for best score.

Even Adele's song is below the standards set for Bond songs.

But then 2 of the btter scores this year weren't even nominated so who knows what surprises await.

I disagree about Adele's song - it's one of the few I enjoy.

Excluding the song, I find there's an excellent 35 minute or so listening experience to be found within this score; the rest of it working fine in the film, but not really as standalone music for me. But is the latter really the best indicator of a score?

Brave, however, knocks the crap out of all the nominees for me this year :)