The Amazing Spider-man 2 (2014 Film)

Jay

Disappointing and sad news. Horner at least would have provided the movie with a great score.

:lol: That's deep Hans! And that is why you are number 1. No one else could come up with such profound stuff.

The Big Z already gave an interview regarding what he plans to do on the score:

I've already thought about it, and I have to tell you, I have some great ideas for the score! What truly is the essence of Spider-Man? He's a spider! And what do spiders do? They crawl up their webs! So we decided we'll record lots of spiders sounds: spiders making a web, spiders eating flies, spiders defecating... And then we'll mix all these elements to create The Spider Suite, which will be about 40 minutes long, and which will serve as a basis for the rest of the score.

Now, since Spider-Man has a human side, Peter Parker, we'll also record similar sounds, but this time made by humans: humans eating flies, humans taking a shit... This will create a great counterpoint to the more arachnean side of the soundtrack.

That's one thing HanZim is good at: making music out of shit.

I've already thought about it, and I have to tell you, I have some great ideas for the score! What truly is the essence of Spider-Man? He's a spider! And what do spiders do? They crawl up their webs! So we decided we'll record lots of spiders sounds: spiders making a web, spiders eating flies, spiders defecating... And then we'll mix all these elements to create The Spider Suite, which will be about 40 minutes long, and which will serve as a basis for the rest of the score.

Now, since Spider-Man has a human side, Peter Parker, we'll also record similar sounds, but this time made by humans: humans eating flies, humans taking a shit... This will create a great counterpoint to the more arachnean side of the soundtrack.

Isn't it the other way around?

Is he accepting fan-submitted sounds of taking a shit? I think it's a great way to get the Zimmer community involved in the score making and sample collecting process?

Isn't it other way around?

Yep, and going the other way around again.

Great, just another score for Zimmer to ruin. I swear if we go from the nice Orchestral stuff Horner did to a Dark Knight-esque score, im officially done with Zimmer.

It's not like AMAZING SPIDERREBOOT had Horner on the edge of wondersome new musical inventions, there was a good dose of RCP cloning going on, so why not going to the source? Horner may have rightfully said to himself that once is enough.

That is because he is so amazing at talking out of his ass.

Damn it! I was hoping for Horner....maybe even Young.

I bet this will sound like Man Of Steel, just with a twist on the themes. Another score that can avoid to be bought.

Damn it! I was hoping for Horner....maybe even Young.

I bet this will sound like Superman Returns, just with a twist on the themes. Another score that can avoid to be bought.

If only!

I bet this will sound like Man Of Steel, just with a twist on the themes.

Honestly a bit of a stretch, but this is pretty much the essence of composition. Everyone is clamoring for themes. Themes this, themes that. It's what separates one score from another within a composer's filmography, if you take something straight on without delving into the more detailed aspects of the musical language.

So yes, I guarantee you this will sound 100% like Hans Zimmer with different themes.

Zimmer is on a warpath to superhero domination. He will never eat. He will never sleep. He will never stop.

He will devour all superheroes and feast on their flesh.

I'm disappointed with the news. Did Horner say "No" when Webb approached him to score the sequel? Did Sony want a more popular composer this time around? A few unanswered questions here...

I do think Zimmer will reference or incorporate Horner's theme in the sequel score. I can't remember a sequel Hans has done (whether he or someone else scored the predecessor), where he didn't do it. He used Schfrin's theme in Mission Impossible 2 and played around with Elfman's title theme in The Simpsons Movie.

Plus, Marc Webb will probably ask him to keep some kind of continuity...

Then again, both Elfman's Simpsons theme and Schifrin's Mission: Impossible theme are decades old television classics. I doubt Horner's themes can boast a similar status.

I'm disappointed with the news. Did Horner say "No" when Webb approached him to score the sequel? Did Sony want a more popular composer this time around? A few unanswered questions here...

When Horner isn't popular enough for the suits, they need to pull their heads out of Zimmer's ass.

because he's a fashion designer as well.

The Amazing Spiderman 3: Project Runway.

I dig the new suit, very much closer to the comics / animated 90's series.

Regarding the music....Koray these days A LOT of scores just do not have themes like they once did IE: Star Trek film scores (original), Spider-Man 3 (Young) and such... in a way it's really disappointing.

Webb confirmed that he wanted Zimmer for the first movie, but he was unavailable due to commitments on DKR, so now is his big chance to reign in on another franchise. I doubt Horner cares too much about scoring movies like this and has a bumpy track record with sequels, anyway.

Webb confirmed that he wanted Zimmer for the first movie, but he was unavailable due to commitments on DKR, so now is his big chance to reign in on another franchise. I doubt Horner cares too much about scoring movies like this and has a bumpy track record with sequels, anyway.

That's interesting because he says in a documentary somewhere that he specifically wanted a big, bold main theme.

So either he'd have asked Zimmer for what he got from Horner, or that was just some PR rubbish since he got a composer who does real themes.

And I'd (probably) rather have Zimmer enjoying the process, rather than Horner phoning in a score he doesn't want to do.

So there go comments about how he got chills upon hearing Horner's theme and how he wanted to "rediscover a more traditional classic big orchestral sound".

It's a shame really, because it's one of those scores that actually prove you can still have a direct approach and make it work and also merge it with some more modern trends. It was the only element (apart from SFX) that actually worked very well in the film.

Karol

Publicist said he wanted Zimmer right from the start, for the first film. And yet he's saying he was aiming for the "traditional sound". Doesn't compute.

Karol

Publicist said he wanted Zimmer right from the start, for the first film. And yet he's saying he was aiming for the "traditional sound". Doesn't compute.

Karol

"Traditional" as in today's era of traditional sound. Ergo, Hans Zimmer.

So how come he implied James Horner nailed it?

And how does it Zimmer fit "traditional classic big orchestral sound" description?

Karol

So how come he implied James Horner nailed it?

And how does it Zimmer fit "traditional classic big orchestral sound" description?

Karol

Well, the Horner comment is either simply PR, or Horner delivered a good score that he enjoyed, regardless of his initial expectations. As for bringing in Zimmer, I'm actually kind of glad as I felt Horner was too close to Elfman and I enjoy his theme so much, it felt like a tease to me. Then again, I wonder how those feelings will be when I actually see the film.

Anyway, it might be one of the biggest continuity screw-ups in film's history!

If anybody actually cares about these things anymore...

Karolo