I know this would never happen but.........

wanner251

Just in the spirit of speculation and fun, and because I personally enjoy the thought of it, hypothetically speaking of course, if the directors of Harry Potter movies 4 - 8 were approached and asked to have John Williams re-score them, and they agreed. What do you think it would take to make that happen? Do you think it would be something that the general populous might be interested in? There is something about having a cohesive arc from beginning to end by the same composer.

Mind you I am not trying to discredit the likes of Patrick Doyle or Alexander Desplat. It is just something I, and I imagine many of you, muse about from time to time, as it will always remain one of the great mysteries of the universe.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was no chance Williams could have scored Harry Potter 4, because the film was always scheduled to be released in November of 2005 and Williams was already committed to scoring Revenge of the Sith, War of the Worlds, Munich, and Memoirs of a Geisha that year

David Yates was fairly insistent he bring on his former collaborator Nicholas Hooper for Order of the Phoenix. Even though the score wasn't praised by many the film was, so surely WB was happy to let him keep Hooper on for Half-Blood Prince.

There was all kinds of talks that Williams could come back to do Deathly Hallows parts 1 and even more so 2, but by the late 2000s Williams had basically semi-retired from scoring films (he's only scored Spielberg films since 2005) so I don't think there was ever much of a chance. If Williams himself approached Warner Brothers I think they would have helped persuade Yates since Hooper had already chosen not to return but I don't think Williams did.

Do you guys think that the other composers did a good job of carrying on that which was left by John Williams in the first 3 films? Or do you think that they did a good job having their own approach entirely, and ignoring that which came before? Or even a poor job of either? I just can't help but wonder what JW would have had in mind for what to him would be the logical continuation.

I think Williams and Cuaron achieved something quite special with Prisoner Of Azkaban. The rest if the films never really got that grim and gothic again, so it's hard to say how he would have tackled them. I for one think he would have run out of steam by the end of it all. They can't all be innovative. I really love Hooper's score for Order Of The Phoenix though. Enjoy it more than the first two scores actually.

There was no chance Williams could have scored Harry Potter 4, because the film was always scheduled to be released in November of 2005 and Williams was already committed to scoring Revenge of the Sith, War of the Worlds, Munich, and Memoirs of a Geisha that year

David Yates was fairly insistent he bring on his former collaborator Nicholas Hooper for Order of the Phoenix. Even though the score wasn't praised by many the film was, so surely WB was happy to let him keep Hooper on for Half-Blood Prince.

There was all kinds of talks that Williams could come back to do Deathly Hallows parts 1 and even more so 2, but by the late 2000s Williams had basically semi-retired from scoring films (he's only scored Spielberg films since 2005) so I don't think there was ever much of a chance. If Williams himself approached Warner Brothers I think they would have helped persuade Yates since Hooper had already chosen not to return but I don't think Williams did.

I think you're misunderstanding the question Jay - it's more about Williams hypothetically re-scoring the films now and whether people would take interest.

GoF would probably sound quite different (Doyle's being the most radical departure) but I doubt the masses would take much note if a new Blu-ray box had a 'With a brand new music score by John Williams!' label. I've talked to enough people who either don't notice the music in films, or think Zimmer is the second coming.

I must confess I haven't seen the films, so I can't comment specifically, but I'd imagine there'd be a certain facet of the population outside our little group that would at least be moderately interested in such a thing, though there almost certainly wouldn't be a huge clamoring for it. I do like it when a composer is able to consistently develop material through a franchise.

Honestly, though, what I'd really be looking for along those lines would be one more crack at Superman II with a real effects budget and a newly commissioned Williams score. Sometimes the edits work, but there are times where the hack-job is painfully obvious, and it's made worse by the fact that one of the worst moments in that regard is in arguably the greatest addition to the film (the repowering scene).

I think Williams and Cuaron achieved something quite special with Prisoner Of Azkaban. The rest if the films never really got that grim and gothic again, so it's hard to say how he would have tackled them. I for one think he would have run out of steam by the end of it all. They can't all be innovative. I really love Hooper's score for Order Of The Phoenix though. Enjoy it more than the first two scores actually.

I think Half-Blood Prince and Deathly Hallows: Part 1 reached and at times surpassed the moody intensity of Cuaron's approach. I actually really like Hooper and Desplat's work on both films, but I would have been interested to see what Williams would have done with those, particularly 7.1, which is probably the quietest and heaviest of the Potters.